The Internet

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I'm not sure if this is considered political or not, so delete it if it is, ignore it if you choose not to discuss this.

It's obvious we're all internet users, right?
Can anyone tell me why the FCC wants to get rid of NET NEUTRALITY to our detriment?
I've never heard any individual clamor to give big money an advantage over the rest of us.
Am I missing something here?
We don't give trucks a super lane on the highway.
Why would we want to give internet providers the power to slow us down or block our content in favor of big business?

Last edited:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
no idea what it is,,but sounds bad
Here in the good old US of A we currently have a regulation in place that essentially says every internet user must receive the same level of service from the internet provider and they can't block or slow down content that competes with them.
Example:
Let's say you're provider is Comcast or Verizon and they own certain content (movies etc..) .

So, you use Comcast to get your internet content and you want to watch a movie owned by one of their competitors.
The rules say, they can't block it or slow it down to benefit themselves.

Also, if you're an individual or a giant on-line company like Amazon, you all get the same speed.
Without the regulations large companies can pay to get faster speed while they slow you down.
That's essentially what NET NEUTRALITY is.

And now they want to get rid of that regulations.

Once again...........no benefit to any normal human-being, just an open door for big business to screw us.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/steven...at-your-internet-will-look-like/#702ac7324c68

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
I have had this realization since I was 7 years old: Less for more. Less of whatever it is for more money. That is the "American Way".

Here is a great idea: Why don't we go back to the 300 baud systems we used in the early 1980's? :)

Have you noticed that as the Internet got "faster", you receive more ads, and it takes longer to load a page?

Where I live is considered to be the "Heart Of Silicon Valley". We were one of the last communities to receive "fast internet". When that happened, AT&T was the provider. They would be down two or three days at a time, with great frequency. Then along came Comcast, and prices went up, and outages now last only for about a day, and that happens only a few times a year.

Comcast liked to inform you of how much bandwidth you used each month. Remember when they wanted to charge for bandwidth used? These ISP's will find anyway to make a buck. Look at what Comcast owns today:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assets_owned_by_Comcast

Today the internet - tomorrow the world! :unsure:

Tom

Silicon Valley Tom

Nuclear power plants, even conventional power plants, financial institutions, the military, and so many businesses are run by the Internet. People get hacked and nothing is done about it. You loose your ID and others take over your credit cards and bank account. How about the ISP's doing something to protect us? (y) No it is the "American Way"! Every dog for himself! But the rich and powerful do as they please. Their plan is to own or take everything you have. You see, you do not deserve anything, little man! You lack the ability to do so. That is what America is all about. How to take what is not yours and enrich yourself. Then people look up to you and wish they could do the same thing. They forgot to send Morality on the Mayflower in 1620. :ROFLMAO: And here we sit. A country comprised of the rejects of the world. People who did not want to obey the laws of their respective countries. Come to the United States, and you can do whatever you want. We need your imagination.

For over 20 years I have been saying to others, "The Internet is like a sewer pipe. You never know what you are going to find around the next bend in the pipe"! :):eek:

I do not see anyone trying to help native Americans. We are still trying to take everything they have left, which is not much, but they should not be allowed to exist, as far as too many are concerned.

I am not sorry for the above comments. Every time Comcast has an outage or our tv or internet stop working, we call Comcast. They then change our service contract, and it ends up they take away something we want, and give us something we have no use for. I am very tired of that. :confused:

Tom

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member
This talk has been going on a long time and has recently re-surfaced. It is frustrating to hear it getting kicked around again.

I guess we’ll see what happens. I hope it doesn’t change.

Silicon Valley Tom

My mom had an expression she used when things were not going well in this country, for whatever reason: "Give it back to the Indians"! :)

Tom

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Nuclear power plants, even conventional power plants, financial institutions, the military, and so many businesses are run by the Internet. People get hacked and nothing is done about it. You loose your ID and others take over your credit cards and bank account. How about the ISP's doing something to protect us? (y) No it is the "American Way"! Every dog for himself! But the rich and powerful do as they please. Their plan is to own or take everything you have. You see, you do not deserve anything, little man! You lack the ability to do so. That is what America is all about. How to take what is not yours and enrich yourself. Then people look up to you and wish they could do the same thing. They forgot to send Morality on the Mayflower in 1620. :ROFLMAO: And here we sit. A country comprised of the rejects of the world. People who did not want to obey the laws of their respective countries. Come to the United States, and you can do whatever you want. We need your imagination.

For over 20 years I have been saying to others, "The Internet is like a sewer pipe. You never know what you are going to find around the next bend in the pipe"! :):eek:

I do not see anyone trying to help native Americans. We are still trying to take everything they have left, which is not much, but they should not be allowed to exist, as far as too many are concerned.

I am not sorry for the above comments. Every time Comcast has an outage or our tv or internet stop working, we call Comcast. They then change our service contract, and it ends up they take away something we want, and give us something we have no use for. I am very tired of that. :confused:

Tom
Tom,
You always have a new way of getting my respect.