The Guitarist's Guitarist

Terry B

Humble student of the blues
With the passing of Jeff Beck, perhaps this would be a good time to take a look at some of his work. Many consider his greatest to be "Cause We've Ended as Lovers" from the Blow by Blow album, or "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat" from Wired. Or his interpretation of the Beatles "A Day in the Life."

Any of the above would be challenging, but rewarding to try to learn imho.

Last edited:

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
Its a great idea for me personally ha im staying away hes too much but theres lots of peeps here with big chops that are going to sound really good. Yeah the usual suspects ...

Tangled_up_in_Blue

Blues Newbie
I had the privilege to see Jeff Beck at an intimate venue in 2011, which was a warm-up gig for the IOW festival. I stood close to stage, maybe 10 or 20 meters form the great man. I have listened to him all my adult life but his music really came alive in the flesh. One of the greats for sure but for a mere mortal like me it is hard to fully appreciate his genius on the guitar. He was still gigging up until Nov 2022 so certainly never lost his mojo. We are all getting older and every year another one of my musical heroes passes away. Rather sobering but I thank them for the magical moments they gave me and the legacy is there for all to enjoy. RIP Jeff Beck x

Terry B

Humble student of the blues
I never saw him up close, but in early 1976 I saw him when he was playing with the Jan Hamer band in a local hockey arena. This was the tour that led to his live with Jan Hamer band album.

I had just got my drivers licence and borrowed my dad's car to take a couple of friends to the concert. At the time they were patting down everyone entering, checking for alcohol and drugs, (no worries about weapons at that time) but we managed to smuggle a mickey of Scotch in in my friend's sock.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Jeff had so many awesome songs.... I always liked his People Get Ready with Rod Stewart. And Flash! when he played a Jackson was always a favorite too! But I always go back to my first year in Jr College when Wired came out... Always my sentimental favorite as that album really opened up the door to Jeff Beck for me. :Beer:

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I had the privilege to see Jeff Beck at an intimate venue in 2011, which was a warm-up gig for the IOW festival. I stood close to stage, maybe 10 or 20 meters form the great man. I have listened to him all my adult life but his music really came alive in the flesh. One of the greats for sure but for a mere mortal like me it is hard to fully appreciate his genius on the guitar. He was still gigging up until Nov 2022 so certainly never lost his mojo. We are all getting older and every year another one of my musical heroes passes away. Rather sobering but I thank them for the magical moments they gave me and the legacy is there for all to enjoy. RIP Jeff Beck x

One of my biggest regrets was missing the chance to see him at a relatively smaller venue this past Fall. Wired and Blow-by-Blow were my college-era introduction to Jeff Beck. There was something in literally every song in those albums that totally captivated me. For me, the test is that virtually any of those songs that I listen to today immediately brings back great memories and the emotions that went along with them. I kind of forgot about him a little for a decade or two but was re-introduced around the time that I started playing guitar again about 12 years ago. At that point I began to really better appreciate his creativity and technical ability. Another key turning point was discovering the Live at Ronnie Scott's videos from his run there that he did about 10 years ago. Seeing him (albeit on video) in that small intimate setting with one of my all-time favorite drummers, Vinnie Colaiuta and bassist Tal Wilkenfeld was nothing short of magical.

Combined with the fact that by all accounts he was a genuinely nice guy that cared first and foremost about the music and his audience with virtually no drama to distract from that, losing him really feels like a loss to me. I'm actually a little surprised at the reaction I had to the news.

I will be spending the evening wistfully listening to a couple of my favorite albums along with a glass of bourbon and some great memories.

For anyone who has not seen the Ronnie Scott's series, they are definitely worth the time on YouTube. This one makes me melt every time I see and hear it, not to mention Jeff's reaction to the bass solo. As Tim Pierce put it, Jeff Beck is the ultimate example of the argument that tone is in the fingers.

TexBill

Blues in Texas
Jeff had so many awesome songs.... I always liked his People Get Ready with Rod Stewart. And Flash! when he played a Jackson was always a favorite too! But I always go back to my first year in Jr College when Wired came out... Always my sentimental favorite as that album really opened up the door to Jeff Beck for me. :Beer:
What year did you first attend American River Jr College? I believe I was still in the area about that time.

BTW, have you been skiing much. From the weather roports, there should be tons of snow. Just saying. Later.

TexBill

Blues in Texas
One of my biggest regrets was missing the chance to see him at a relatively smaller venue this past Fall. Wired and Blow-by-Blow were my college-era introduction to Jeff Beck. There was something in literally every song in those albums that totally captivated me. For me, the test is that virtually any of those songs that I listen to today immediately brings back great memories and the emotions that went along with them. I kind of forgot about him a little for a decade or two but was re-introduced around the time that I started playing guitar again about 12 years ago. At that point I began to really better appreciate his creativity and technical ability. Another key turning point was discovering the Live at Ronnie Scott's videos from his run there that he did about 10 years ago. Seeing him (albeit on video) in that small intimate setting with one of my all-time favorite drummers, Vinnie Colaiuta and bassist Tal Wilkenfeld was nothing short of magical.

Combined with the fact that by all accounts he was a genuinely nice guy that cared first and foremost about the music and his audience with virtually no drama to distract from that, losing him really feels like a loss to me. I'm actually a little surprised at the reaction I had to the news.

I will be spending the evening wistfully listening to a couple of my favorite albums along with a glass of bourbon and some great memories.

For anyone who has not seen the Ronnie Scott's series, they are definitely worth the time on YouTube. This one makes me melt every time I see and hear it, not to mention Jeff's reaction to the bass solo. As Tim Pierce put it, Jeff Beck is the ultimate example of the argument that tone is in the fingers.

I raise my glass with you, Elio. Eventhough it is not any adult beverage, it is the thought that counts, brother.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
What year did you first attend American River Jr College? I believe I was still in the area about that time.

BTW, have you been skiing much. From the weather roports, there should be tons of snow. Just saying. Later.
I sent you a private conversation. :Beer:

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
saw him live at a small venue in Maine...had Jennifer Batten with him...he did a lot fusion stuff...not my bag but his abilities and use of his whammy bar/volume control made him unique...incredible show...later.

cowboy