The Blues Kings at the Lion's Lair Lounge

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
The Blues Kings got asked to play the Lion's Lair Lounge in Denver on Sunday 12/16

http://lionslairlounge.squarespace.com/calendar-1/2018/12/16/the-blues-kings-steve-and-marina

The Lion’s Lair is Denver’s oldest consistently operating independent music venue, beginning as the Playboy Club in the 1930s, then the Aladdin Lounge from 1936 until 1967 when it was bought and rechristened after then-owner Jim Lyons.

This is a really cool opportunity to play in a high profile venue for a band of our level, along the lines of our last gig at the Boulder Band Shell.

They typically have 3 bands per night, with an hour set each (including setup), but the band before us just bailed, so we get to play for 2 hours, and look like we saved the day in the process.

This will look good on our resume and hopefully open more doors.

I was going to say this is the band I play bass in, but the other band I play guitar in (West of the Blues) just lost the bass player, so I'm playing bass in that band too until we find a new bass player. I love playing bass, but I'm losing my guitar chops!

FrankL

Mr. Bites Off More Than I Can Chew
I had no idea you were in a band let alone two. Great stuff! Congrats! If you ever need a sit in guitar player, I'm a guitar player.

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
Wow! just got a call from the venue, the opening act which is a duo had to cancel because the guitar player in the duo cut his hand open and needed 13 stitches. We're now the only act of the night and will play 3 sets.
We typically do 8 or 9 songs per set, and we don't quite have 25 songs polished, that's been one of our goals to get larger gigs and this will definitely reinforce teh need to have 3 sets down pat while we work on new material.
We do have 6 songs solid (although not our favorites) in the 3rd set, with a 7th that we should be fine on. We have another 4 songs or so that we can do "jam style".
We can also put more/longer solos in the first few sets to stretch 6-7 songs into a set, and there is no law against repeating a couple of songs from previous sets, so we'll be fine.
One of the points we make for venues when trying to find a gig is that we are reliable (we haven't missed a gig yet) and flexible, I think this will give us a good story to tell to reinforce that point.

artyman

Fareham UK
Being reliable is always a good selling point, we picked up a gig the other week stepping in at short notice for someone who had let them down, and had enquiries after the gig so may produce some more opportunities. However accidents do happen (cut hands) so try to be able to recruit a stand in if possible, or manage without a member (more difficult in a duo!)

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
We have 4 guitars (one is the singer and he doesn't do much most of the time) and we can gig with only 2, although that means someone may have a less polished solo. We have a replacement singer or bass player, but he lives in Florida, so he can also sub in weekend gigs and with enough notice. We also have used another friend on drums in a pinch.

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
Not a great video, the camera picks up instruments unevenly as it moves around, but that's the only video I have so far.
Our drummer's son (who got this one) says he has more on his phone but hasn't uploaded them yet.

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
You guys sound great. Sounds like you were appreciated by the audience too! Great job!