The big night is here!  Open Mic!

560sdl

Blues Newbie
It is funny, my wife has always loved to dance and I hate it.  Like to watch people dance but won't do it.

Being in "the band" is the perfect out!  How can I dance if I am up playing the music?! ;)

A

azcallie

Oh Alan!   How great is that.  Congratulations to you and your band.  ;D

SeattleSlim

Blues Newbie
A great accomplishment. Congrats! Your report was like being there to see and hear it happen. Good luck   in future performances.

G

Garymcm

great stuff Alan
Congratulations. reading this made me wish we had the same thing around here. Would like to see if i had the balls to do it.
There's a blues festival about 200 kms away (Bridgetown Blues Festival) but geez they get some great players and its amazing to see these hidden locals come out of the woodwork in the jam nights and absolutely nail the crowd - they're too good for me (yet!!). Maybe I'll talk to the local pub to see about an open mike thing??

Had to laugh 560 - I dont dance until I;ve had a few beers or rums and then my wife (who has been trained in dance and loves to dance) wont dance anywhere near me. By the time i get up, i think I'm pretty bloody good (and without any training at all!!!!)lol. I tell her " I just let the music move me!!". She rolls her eyes and moves away. She tells me I look like an epileptic cross between Mick Jagger and Peter Garret (our current environment Minister but also lead singer with teh band Midnight Oil - he has an unique dancing style while singing - I'm sure there's something on you tube!). To be honest, I dont really care!!!!! (LOL)
Cheers
Gary

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member
I'm also a Dance Step challenged individual!  If anyone Ever sees me Dancing, Please take my Car Keys! ;D

560sdl

Blues Newbie
Funny story - When I married my wife (early 20's) I of course hated to dance.  I promised her that I would start dancing when I turned 35.  Well that came sooner than I thought and I agreed to take ballroom dancing lessons.  We did that for a while but she got frustrated because it was group lessons and we danced together for about 25 seconds each lesson.  

I really struggled to pick it up and soon we gave up and she has not mentioned it much since ;), except the occasional wedding  :-/

G

Garymcm

I dont think I could do lessons - the teacher would have a breakdown.
I'm happy just to say that im a natural and dont need them (my wife begs to differ :D)
Cheers
Gary

6string

Congrats on the big night Alan!  Sounds like it was a blast.  Hope to hear about more experiences of you and the band playing out

BignJames

Blues Newbie
We got up on stage a little before 11 and IT IS ALL DIFFERENT than you are used to.  Different amps, smaller stage area, where you stand, lights, everything.  And you don't really get a chance to do anything but just start playing.  Beginning of the first song (Help Me [Green Onions] I am pretty nervous at first but then I realize I am hitting all my notes (well most) and we sound pretty good!  And the only thing at that point running through my mind is my daughter telling me after our only other gig, "Dad, you have to learn how to smile!"  So I smile! [glow=yellow,2,300] And then people get up and start dancing and I smile more!  It is REAL HARD not to smile when music you are creating gets people to stand up and dance! [/glow] Then the first song ends and people are whooping and hollering and I smile more!

A bass player friend of mine says that's one of the best feelings in the world.....way to go!

D

drlee

Hello I’m just catching up on these posts that is really cool having the balls to get up there and play great stuff thanks for sharing that. I was talking to a buddy tonight at the hockey game talking about his band they have only been playing together about year and half he's only been playing drum’s 2 years but he says he has got so much better playing with other guys ,there only problem they cant get enough gigs and they usually play for free. Then he says they have about 30 core songs and im thinking to myself I don’t even know one song start to finish. Anyway Id like to know if you have played anymore gigs 560.

D

drlee

I forgot to add this I don’t know if you have seen this but its going nation wide sounds great http://www.leagueofrock.com/

560sdl

Blues Newbie
drlee,

We are preparing for our second gig.  Working on some new songs and we were planning to go back this month.  Unfortunately, our darn bass player is out of town for most of our practice nights so we are postponing until at least next month.  This might be a good thing as I can hopefully focus a bit more on BGU for a change.

But I really am looking forward to our next gig.  Last weekend I got to jam a bit with my son (learning drums) and his college buddies.  That was kind of fun, but I left all my music and cheat sheets at home which was a bummer.  I go back down to see them next weekend and we plan to jam more.  

Funny, the woman in our Band asked me the other day if my kids thought I was cool because I was learning guitar and in a band.  I had not really thought about it (maybe because I have always been cool :cool:), but what I think is cool is when a bunch of early 20 somethings want you to come jam with them.  Makes you feel not quite so old ;) :)

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Hey Drlee, that ALMOST makes me want to give up retirement and go back to work... almost.

Photojeep

Blues Newbie
Hey 560sdl,

It is kind of cool when my daughter's friends ask me if I want to sing along with them.  Now, I sing regularly and while I don't like the sound of my voice (it's different from what I hear in my head when I sing!), people have told me they like it.  But these are kids that can spontaneously break out with perfect 5 part harmonies!  I'm not kidding!  They all attended a performing arts high school here in Las Vegas and are incredibly good.  

It feels cool to be asked but I know when I'm outclassed so I just thank them for the invite but gracefully decline!

PJ

D

drlee

I wish I was at that stage in my guitar playing , sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks 560 ......Retirement what’s that ? I run my own business have five kids a mortgage not one kid is collage age yet....... so there go's my retirement , Oh well I still have my guitars and 1hour a day of total bliss, Lee