The big night is here!  Open Mic!

560sdl

Blues Newbie
Well I won't be sure until tomorrow if this should qualify as a posting under "Successes..........." or not, but tonight is the bands first foray into playing in public.  (well actually the 2nd, but I am not counting the first - at a flea market).

It is Open Mic night at a bar nearby and we have been planning this for months.  We have three decent songs and two shaky ones, so depending on how crowded it is, we may do all 5.

Should be fun (I hope).  Wish me luck!

I cannot wait to get this behind us so we can start working on some new songs!

johnc

systematic
I'm am sure all our thoughts and best wishes will be with you and your band Alan.
Feel the force and let go.  You will be great.

All the absolute best to you, make sure you relax have fun.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
You'll do just fine and have a blast for sure. The anticipation will be worse than the actual show. Let us all know how it goes when the dust settles.

Remember: the first one to the end of the song doesn't win  ;D

ihorowitz

Blues Newbie
I'm pretty jealous- there just aren't enough oppurtunites for us hacks (this hack I mean :p) Best of luck.

560sdl

Blues Newbie
Wow!  What a blast.  

There is a lot of anticipation and waiting at these things I guess.  The beginning of the evening did not start so well as our teacher (and drummer) harp player and the bass players bass was following my car up to the gig and then just disappeared.  We show up and wait almost an hour before they stroll in.  We were getting a bit nervous, needless to say.  Turns out the harp players friends had run out of gas and they went to rescue but did not have any of our cell #'s.

All the bands before us were pretty decent.  We had seen most of the player in the various combo's the last time we were there just checking things out.  Someday I will figure out how all of this works but it is apparent that 75% of the people that played there go every week.

We got up on stage a little before 11 and IT IS ALL DIFFERENT than you are used to.  Different amps, smaller stage area, where you stand, lights, everything.  And you don't really get a chance to do anything but just start playing.  Beginning of the first song (Help Me [Green Onions] I am pretty nervous at first but then I realize I am hitting all my notes (well most) and we sound pretty good!  And the only thing at that point running through my mind is my daughter telling me after our only other gig, "Dad, you have to learn how to smile!"  So I smile!  And then people get up and start dancing and I smile more!  It is REAL HARD not to smile when music you are creating gets people to stand up and dance!  Then the first song ends and people are whooping and hollering and I smile more!

Second song (Big Boss Man) goes real well.  I am a little unhappy with my tone, just a little too crunchy for this song because the BD-2 was a little too "hot".  But it was fine and there was not a whole lot I could do.  Trust me, I cannot play and chew gum at the same time yet, so adjustments on the fly will have to wait.  Best part is the audience got into a big ole sing along with this song and more dancing and more smiles.  This was getting fun!

Third song was My Babe by Lil Walter.  We nailed this one pretty good and at the end looked at each other and decided "that's it".  These were our core three songs that we do the best.  So the bass player takes off across the room and starts packing up and people are clapping and yelling for an ENCORE!

We finally get the bass player back after much resistance broke into I Shot the Sheriff.  Unfortunately we did not save the best for last which is why we chose not to do this song. We struggle with it and have never been real happy.  A couple of weeks ago we changed the key to make the vocals easier.  Problem is neither the bass player or I have a version we can practice in the lower key and he and or I always at some point in the song do part in the original key.  Tonight was HIS turn to do that BUT, when it is happening, you are not sure who is doing it wrong.  I am looking at my fingers trying to figure out if it is me messing up or not.  So several screw ups at the beginning but we settled down and finished strong.

All and all it was a great experience and I cannot wait to do it again.  Most of all, I am glad we finally did this and got a little confidence that we can pull it off so we can start working on more songs!

I screwed up and did not set up to record on my Tascam ahead of time and thought of it just as we were finished setting up.  I went to go do it and realized it would take about 30 seconds and figured we could just as easily be a train wreck and just decided to forget it.  Wish I had not!

Bluewater

Blues Newbie
Great Success story. I love the detail and could feel the anticipation, relief, joy, only to circle back on the tension of the encore. Great picture too!!!!

Alan- once again congratulations to you and your band mates.

- and there are few lessons that I will try to learn from your experience.

1.) Cell #'s program them into you phone ahead of time.
2.) Start the recorder way ahead of time. My recorder will support hours of recording using the MP3 setting. Besides it is good to set the levels with the other bands on first.
3.) Show up late so you can play to a crowd that is already rip roaring and ready to go!
4.) It's Ok to repeat a song for encore so you can give 'em your best.
5.) oh yea! fuel up the vehicles before making the trek to the gig.

is there anything I missed? Oh yea

6.) remember to SMILE.  :)

Dave

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Alan, An inspirational story. There's no better feeling than seeing people enjoy the music you're making. I can't wait till I get back on stage (At my pace it will be a while, but I'll get there). It's guys like you that just go for it that keep me motivated. Be sure to set up the recorder next time. I can't wait to hear your set.

560sdl

Blues Newbie
Great Success story. I love the detail and could feel the anticipation, relief, joy, only to circle back on the tension of the encore. Great picture too!!!!

Alan- once again congratulations to you and your band mates.

- and there are few lessons that I will try to learn from your experience.

1.) Cell #'s program them into you phone ahead of time.
2.) Start the recorder way ahead of time. My recorder will support hours of recording using the MP3 setting. Besides it is good to set the levels with the other bands on first.
3.) Show up late so you can play to a crowd that is already rip roaring and ready to go!
4.) It's Ok to repeat a song for encore so you can give 'em your best.
5.) oh yea! fuel up the vehicles before making the trek to the gig.

is there anything I missed? Oh yea

6.) remember to SMILE.  :)

Dave

Dave,

I think you got it my friend.  At the end of the evening there was a discussion of fixing most of the things on your list.  But all the problems go away if you just smile :)

And I am really sad I did not record the darn thing.  Would love to have something to post!

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member
I enjoyed the after action report and pictures! Thank you my friend. ;)

johnc

systematic
That's a great success story Alan, You had me smiling right through your excellent summary of the night.
Nextime you will have another song or three up your sleeve, incase they start throwing cash at you.
So glad to hear you enjoyed it.

To anyone else, find a way to get out and have a go, it's a bit scary but a lot of fun.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
That is just so awesome. Well done Alan. Though I'm sorry to say you've clearly been bitten by the "performing bug" and will forever be doomed to seek out new bands, open jam nights, and other playing opportunities that involve amps, dance floors, and the occasional beer. And all I can say is... WELCOME!