The Acoustic and Electric Struggle

TxStrat

Lovin’ the journey of life and the blues
I love learning acoustic blues. I love learning electric blues/classic rock. I get a lot out of Griff’s acoustic lessons. I get a lot out of Griff’s electric lessons. I think I could be a lot better at one if I focused mostly on one and not the other, but I enjoy both. Anyone else with limited time have a hard time with the balance between the two? Guess that’s why they say it’s all about the journey. Hey the struggle could end up being a pretty good blues song!

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
add in do I work on rhythm, solos, fills.............................I finally solved the issues by going another route

I pick one DVD, say PTSM and work on that on Thursdays on my day off, Sunday I use for working on songs (usual day off). Those songs could be acoustic, or electric from many generes. This way I get practice doing different things. After I do a DVD 3 times, I move on to another one,

Right now I am all about licks and connecting them

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
So you're only working on two things?? :rolleyes::D I think @sdbrit68 has the right idea. You probably need to alternate days for acoustic and electric. Nothing wrong with that. You could even add in something else also IMHO. Keep it fresh and interesting. (y)

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
You will gain great stuff from both acoustic & electric. You are on the right path.
I have a few hours per day, so lately I've been working on:
AAP Mixolydian/Dorian solo,
SBS Solo 6,
52 Rhythm Fills # 2.19
Texas Flood
Riviera Paradise
and Fire Down Below
Might be time to drop some of them and add new stuff then come back to them in a week or two.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I played acoustic only for years and struggled with pulling chords & notes sharp when I took the electric back up, so I recommend both so you develop the ability to adjust your touch to whichever your playing

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Time is an important issue, followed by what truly interests you. What do you like? What are your goals? You could concentrate on the acoustic, the electric or both. They are very different instruments. Each lends itself to a specific type of music. It is up to you. Making decisions is so important in everything we do. No one knows what is best for you better than yourself! :)

Sit down and create a short list. What type of music do you like to play or listen to? What lends itself best to attain that goal, as far as a musical instrument that you are interested in? If you are specifically interested in the Blues, there are about 50 different types of Blues. Choose one, say Shuffle. Learn all you can. Invest time in learning all the techniques associated with the style of interest. Be a master or at least approach your area of interest with passion. Most of all, have fun! :cool:

Heavens sake! We have not included the Acoustic Electric! :cool:

Tom

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
Depends on what I'm trying to accomplish. Acoustic for me is mostly about singing except for some slide acoustic blues. I'll just go through phases, whatever lights my loins on fire at any given time.

Currently I'd say electric is winning, as I haven't picked up an acoustic or a resonator in over a year. So I guess I'd say I always play Electric, and sometimes acoustic as well.

TxStrat

Lovin’ the journey of life and the blues
Great advice from all of you and certainly appreciated. I play alone right now (except for the occasional acoustic driveway jam with my neighbor) so it may be best right now to focus my practice more on the acoustic (I’ve completed ABGU except for St. Louis Blues which I’m working on now and I’m working through HTJBA, I may throw some Pentatonic Mastery in), and then play through some BGU (I’m through solo 2 right now) at least once weekly and some songs any other time I feel the urge on the electric to keep my fingers accustomed if the opportunity arises to play with a band.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Is there a difference?
From my perspective it's like changing shoes to suite the situation.
I wouldn't wear combat boots to play tennis nor would I slip on a pair of gym shoes to go bowling.
In either case, I don't think I need to relearn how to walk.

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
As others have stated, it is important to define what you want to accomplish with a guitar. I have been working on finger picking especially for acoustic. It is because I don\t play in a band but want to play music (blues). I alternate between electric and acoustic. I keep up on electric for those few times I get to play with others. My big lesson was to define what I want to accomplish. I concentrate on my goals but still deviate to some of Griff's email lessons.

ronico

rainyislandblues
I'm probably playing acoustic 80%+ these days. My kid has sorta corrupted me to country lately but can't say I'm not having fun with it. For the most part peeps I jam with is usually plugged or unplugged acoustic so that probably swings the numbers for more acoustic stuff. Still getting the time in on the electrics though. More of an "in the mood for" thing. Reading through here, and other threads it never ceases to amaze me how organized so many people are with their routines. That's not me but I can get uber obsessive trying to get a theory idea ingrained! At this point in my journey it isn't really a conscious thing to go from acoustic to electric and back. FWIW got straps on all my guits so they all land pretty much in the same place, sitting or standing. Hope this helps but more important, just have fun and PLAY(y)(y)(y)

ronico

rainyislandblues
BTW all my electric stuff is pretty much turn on, warmup tubes if req'd, and go. Think there's a few of us that like that approach given that you're fortunate enough to have the dedicated space for plugandplay