the 5 boxes

C

chuckp

hey out there i just got started with BGU i did BBGand loved it  but when i got BGU i also got S B S i guess my question is  the 5 boxes  i understand its a patteren  but how and why will i know how i  can move them from key to key   i know my notes on the 6th and 5th strings  i guess im trying to get it in my head how  or i should say why this works
chuck

wgabree

Blues Newbie
Hey Chuck.  The box shapes occur as the result of the tuning and relationship of the pitches of the strings on the guitar.

When you move the box, you move the entire interrelated sequence of notes up or down, the their relationship to each other remain the same, even though the pitches change. 

This is an advantage of stringed instruments over piano, woodwind, or brass instruments.

Hope this helps!

:cool:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
hey out there i just got started with BGU i did BBGand loved it  but when i got BGU i also got S B S i guess my question is  the 5 boxes  i understand its a patteren  but how and why will i know how i  can move them from key to key   i know my notes on the 6th and 5th strings  i guess im trying to get it in my head how  or i should say why this works
chuck

All five boxes will "stay" where they are within a given key (For the most part song too, but not always)
You would only need to move the boxes as a group if the key of the song that you are playing changes.
E.G.
In the Key of A, the Am pentatonic Box One starts at the 5th fret
If your song is in the key of B, bust slide all 5 boxes up two frets and you are good to go.
If the song is in G, just slide everything down two frets.
Some songs have a modulation (key change) within the song so you might have to move the boxes for that too.
If I've misunderstood the question, let me know and I'll try again.