Teach yourself guitar repair

KareyReese

Blues Newbie
I'm new to setting up my strat. I have Alfred's Teach Yourself Guitar Repair & Maintenance. The one question I have is the bass plate supposed to be parallel to the face of the guitar? The base plate side away from the neck is about 5/16" higher then face of the guitar. This causes my strings at the 12th fret to be 8/64 of an inch high and the specks call for 5/64 of an inch on the low E string. Other then that I believe I understand the rest off the setup.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I'm new to setting up my strat. I have Alfred's Teach Yourself Guitar Repair & Maintenance. The one question I have is the bass plate supposed to be parallel to the face of the guitar? The base plate side away from the neck is about 5/16" higher then face of the guitar. This causes my strings at the 12th fret to be 8/64 of an inch high and the specks call for 5/64 of an inch on the low E string. Other then that I believe I understand the rest off the setup.
Hi Karey. Are you talking about the bridge plate? Could you possibly post a picture? Setting the bridge plate is part of the setup. Some players like it floating (not parallel to the body), so they can use the tremolo (vibrato) arm to raise or lower the pitch. Others (myself included) prefer them "decked" or flat against the body. This doesn't allow you to raise the pitch with the tremolo, but you can still lower the pitch. Still others lock it by putting an obstruction in the back of the body to lock the bridge.

Also, does your Strat use the vintage style bridge plate (6 mounting screws) or a 2 point bridge?

You can "deck" your bridge by removing the back cover and tightening the two screws into the body that hold the claw. But on most bridges, the saddles are very nearly at the pivot point. You won't get very much change in string height. String height, while partly a function of the bridge plate position is usually controlled by raising or lowering the actual saddles under each string, using an Allen (hex) wrench.

I see you have the Alfred's book. You might also want to snag a copy of the setup information directly from Fender. This is one of several things I keep as a reference and used to learn how to do setups. You'll find it here: https://support.fender.com/hc/en-us...-do-I-set-up-my-Stratocaster-guitar-properly-

Last edited:

KareyReese

Blues Newbie
Hi Karey. Are you talking about the bridge plate? Could you possibly post a picture? Setting the bridge plate is part of the setup. Some players like it floating (not parallel to the body), so they can use the tremolo (vibrato) arm to raise or lower the pitch. Others (myself included) prefer them "decked" or flat against the body. This doesn't allow you to raise the pitch with the tremolo, but you can still lower the pitch. Still others lock it by putting an obstruction in the back of the body to lock the bridge.

Also, does your Strat use the vintage style bridge plate (6 mounting screws) or a 2 point bridge?

You can "deck" your bridge by removing the back cover and tightening the two screws into the body that hold the claw. But on most bridges, the saddles are very nearly at the pivot point. You won't get very much change in string height. String height, while partly a function of the bridge plate position is usually controlled by raising or lowering the actual saddles under each string, using an Allen (hex) wrench.

I see you have the Alfred's book. You might also want to snag a copy of the setup information directly from Fender. This is one of several things I keep as a reference and used to learn how to do setups. You'll find it here: https://support.fender.com/hc/en-us...-do-I-set-up-my-Stratocaster-guitar-properly-

KareyReese

Blues Newbie
image.jpg I'm new to using and navigating in the form. I'm trying to upload a picture of the base plate. I did read the fender info from the link you sent. It read that 1/8" was a good setting. Thanks for your input.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Like @PapaBear says, definitely too high.
Here is a photo of an American Strat 2 point bridge (like yours) decked. (Pay no attention to the non-Fender saddles).
AmStratBridge-Decked.jpg

and here is a typical vintage (6 screw) bridge set up at approximately 1/8" float.
MxStratBridge-Float.jpg

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
When I floated mine I used a credit card under the plate to set it, now mine is blocked so it doesn't move at all

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
When I floated mine I used a credit card under the plate to set it, now mine is blocked so it doesn't move at all
I saw an interesting method done by a guy who does a lot of setups. First, he loosens the screws in the bridge spring claw. He has wood blocks he inserts into the back to put the bridge in the position he wants it to remain.
Then he does a full setup, setting string height and intonation and brings the guitar in tune. When he's finished, he tightens the claw screws just until the wood block falls out. I haven't tried it yet but it made a whole lot of sense.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I saw an interesting method done by a guy who does a lot of setups. First, he loosens the screws in the bridge spring claw. He has wood blocks he inserts into the back to put the bridge in the position he wants it to remain.
Then he does a full setup, setting string height and intonation and brings the guitar in tune. When he's finished, he tightens the claw screws just until the wood block falls out. I haven't tried it yet but it made a whole lot of sense.
I did the one with silver dollars and dimes, I spare no expense on my Strat. lol