Target notes - When soloing

amr101

Blues Newbie
I am trying to understand the subject of target notes.I understand the concept of having to arrive at a note in a chord,when soloing. But the question is ,which note?For example - As a triad in A Major would consist of the notes:A C # and E.which note would be the target note when you get to the A chord, in solo?

Any help out there?

Regards
alanr

glynnd

Blues Newbie
Griff has made some of his quickie emails on this subject, maybe somebody could point you to them. In summary he says the priority order is

1. Go for the colour tones, i.e. the third or flatted third (which determines if the chord is major or minor) and the flat seventh since often in a blues environment it will be dominant 7th chords being played.
2. The root
3. The fifth

Hope that helps.

bills10733

Blues Newbie
Glynn nailed it.  The money notes are the 3rd, the root, followed by the 7th, and in distant fourth place the 5th.  Hitting those notes at or near the chord changes typically make it sound like your home.

Ivan

Blues Newbie
Griff has made some of his quickie emails on this subject, maybe somebody could point you to them. In summary he says the priority order is

1. Go for the colour tones, i.e. the third or flatted third (which determines if the chord is major or minor) and the flat seventh since often in a blues environment it will be dominant 7th chords being played.
2. The root
3. The fifth

Hope that helps.

+1

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
alanr,
are you studying BGU or BBG? The subject of targeting notes for soloing, is a more advanced topic than I remember finding in BBG. If you meant for this to be in the BGU section, I can move it there, just let me know.