Taking a pass on #4

02KnowBetter

I need a shot of Rhythm and Blues...
After 3 months of effort I've decided to move on from solo #4 without coming anywhere near conquering it. Has anyone else taken this route? I'm not saying that I won't come back some time in the future, but I just couldn't memorize it. I got most of the licks down but I couldn't grasp the internal logic. Even after listening to the recording about a hundred times only about the first twelve bars would stick in my head. It felt like I was trying to learn Hamlet's soliloquy in Mandarin Chinese (which I don't speak). I decided to stop beating myself up and get back to 'playing' guitar. So far solo #5 is going well. I hear where Griff is coming from in this solo. The lick's progression have a logic I can hear and feel.

It will still be there when you want to come back to.
Sometimes after a break, we come back to something and find it easier than when we left it.
Enjoy your tine with solo # 5 !

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Yep, don't beat yourself up. I spent at least six months on it, and never "conquered" it. I couldn't come close to memorizing this one. Several members have given this one the "most difficult solo" in BGU title. I think we all have to remember that we're students, learning as much as we can from each lesson, not performers preparing for a recital. Have fun with 5!

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
There's nothing wrong with moving on to something else for a while - it sounds like it hasn't been a total loss for you, and you can always come back to it later.
Many years ago, one of my daughters was taking piano lessons. I decided to take some beginner adult lessons just so I could help her a bit and better appreciate what she was doing. After a while, my teacher asked me what I would like to learn to play. My answer was "my favorite song - the Rhapsody in Blue" and then laughed knowing full well it was WAY beyond reach for a long time to come. He surprised me by saying "go get a copy of the music and bring it in next time". When I asked him why, his response was "I will show you which parts of it you can learn to play."
The lesson was that even if something is out of reach, there are most likely parts of it that you are ready to tackle and benefit from now, and come back for the rest later when you are ready.
Tom