SWS vs the 5 boxes

TerryT

Blues Newbie
Hi,

I'm thinking about getting SWS and have a question. I've been trying to get more comfortable using the 5 pentatonic boxes to get better at moving around the neck. Does the approach in SWS relate to the boxes at all or is it totally different in its approach? I'm confused enough already!

Thanks in advance for advice and opinions. I'm a long time lurker and have learned a lot here.

Terry

Steve G

St. Simons Island, GA
Hi Terry.  SWS definitely relates to the 5 pentatonic patterns and should help improve your ability to move around the neck, while also giving you a simple and effective way to solo.

The course involves learning how to identify all of the notes on the fretboard and then playing simple 4 note patterns centered around the root note for the particular key that you're playing in.  The patterns remain the same when you change the root note location from one string to another.  Griff calls the patterns blues boxes.  You will see that the blues boxes are actually little chunks of the pentatonic patterns that you're already learning.

SWS is a terrific course for people just learning to solo as well as for other players who want to look at the fretboard in a more "root note-centric" way.

TerryT

Blues Newbie
Thanks for the reply Steve. I figured it all worked together. I was going to wait until I finished BGU before adding another course, but the current promotion is too good to pass up!
Plus it sounds like I would really benefit and have fun with this one.  :D

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
I agree...SWS (which I haven't completely finished... :-?) gave me some great insight on how to actually "connect" the boxes, both moving up the fret and also back...will probably change the way you view solo's...and how you see some of the solo's in BGU...and you are correct about the pricing...around the holidays, Griff does us well...later.

cowboy