Super Easy Songs To Learn

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
Wow, I go to Texas for a few days and come back and find all my blues brothers and sisters lead by the most Honorable Griff doing easy songs. I have been doing this for the last couple of months along with BBG. I have learned Midnight Special (Johhny Rivers) which is 3 chords and Sunny sent me the chords for Bobby McGee. Not being a refined guitarist I found that just strumming and singing (with a very bad voice) is a lot of fun. One suggestion I have is that I learn the chords first. Then I play those chords as a 12 bar blues. I strum and change up the chords etc. Only then do I attack the song. Hope this helps and I will be doing more of these songs. Thanks for starting this Griff.

G

Garymcm

Criag got it with the pearl jam song.
Wayne Cochran song from 1962 (got that from a google search, never heard of him).
Progression is G Em, C and D. Put it on the tele with bridge pickup, plenty of tremilo and it sounds like a lot of the songs of that era.

In Australia , we are pretty lucky with a muscian/songwriter called Paul Kelly, Classic australian songs and most only have 4 basic chord (although they can be exteneded with runs etc, but weren't intitally recorded that way). I can think of at least 6 that beginners can play pretty quicly with just plain open chords.

Cheer
Gary

G

Garymcm

Forgot " Til the next goodbye" from the stones. D, G and Am (from Memory, need a guitar)

L

Lame_Pinky

How about " Pretty Vacant " by the 'Pistols ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IJGjkA72f4

simple huh ?

tab ;  http://www.songsterr.com/a/wa/song?id=8706

LP

B

bluenose

Hi just starting out with this guitar malarkey. I've been at it for a couple of months. Anyway still struggling with strumming patterns.
Any advice where to find the strumming patterns for these super easy songs?

Lovin the BBG course though, stating to make headway.

Paul.   :)

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Sorry Paul. I don't know of any place that provides strumming. You are just going to have to listen to the song to pick up the pattern.

B

bluenose

Thanks Mike, I guessed that this may be the case.

Keep smiling.

560sdl

Blues Newbie
Also try youtube.  I find it easier to watch and listen than to just figure it out by listening.  There are probably 20 versions of any of these songs done as covers or lessons on youtube.

L

Lame_Pinky

Bluenose have a look at some of Marty Schwartz' easy blues stuff on youtube very similar - in most cases - as in BBG.

LP

G

Garymcm

Griff's strumming pattern lesson in BBG can be adapted to many  many songs or tweaked slightly to fit a lot. Once you get the rhythym going on strumming patterns they are a bit like riding a bike and stay with you. Haven't looked at the lesson in detail though.

Cheers
Gary

bob

Blues Newbie
this is a great thread
try some early Elvis all blues stuff
Lawdy Miss Clawdy
Thats Alright Mamma
Hound Dog

chordie is agreat site for these

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
I kind of forgot to mention about the strum patterns  :eek:

Here's the thing, the "most popular strum in the world" pattern that is used in "Brown Eyed Squirrel" will probably work about about 60-70% of the songs listed here (I know for a fact it's the one in "Last Kiss").

It will work for any song that moves along at about that speed in straight or swing time (as in "Ball and Chain.")

So here are some songs off the top of my head that utilize that strum pattern - these may or may not have all easy chords though

1. Maggie Mae - Rod Stewart. Easy except the F#min barre chord
2. Tequila Sunrise - The Eagles
3. 8 days a week - The Beatles
4. Brown Eyed Girl
5. Ball and Chain
6. Last Kiss
7. Margaritaville - Jimmy Buffet (D, A, G anyone?)
8. Horse With No Name
9. Take It Easy - The Eagles ( with slight variation on the 2 chord measures )

And that's just off the top of my head. Seriously there is a LOT of music you can play with that strum pattern.

When pulling songs off the net - you're on your own to a large degree. The chords are listed over the words, but you have to use your ears to make it all fit. Don't feel bad if you can't find it written - it's not there.

If you're not ready for this yet, don't worry, you will be. The more you try the better you get, just like everything else.

The internet has provided a LOT of information along these lines. It is true, a lot of the tabs online are wrong (most of them), but for simple songs with just a few chords your odds are good that they are close enough.

Griff

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
Thanks Griff :)

"most popular strum in the world" is right near the beginning of BBG, I got a fairly good handle on that one so I'm going to keep trying with these 'Easy' songs  :cool:

B

bluenose

Wow, the response has been amazing, thank you everyone for your help. This forum stuff is great. This is the first time I've ever got involved with one. Big thanks to Griff the BLUES MEISTER. I was chuffed (happy) to see he got involved with this thread as well.

This internet stuff is cool, I think it may catch on.  ;)

Thanks again everyone.

P.

M

Murr

Here is an easy 3 Chord strum by Hank III, Country Heroes. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/h/hank_williams_iii/country_heros_crd.htm

L

Lame_Pinky

I was thinking ' Parachute Woman ' by the 'Stones just shuffle patterns in the open position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcRFYYavxD0

there is some electric slide of the top but the rythm is open shuffle on an acoustic.
..and a bit of blues harp

LP

B

b0b_b4rk3r

Learning to Fly....Tom Petty....4 chords in open position.... :)

http://www.vanderbilly.com/Guitar-Lesson-Tom+Petty+-+Learning+to+Fly,11203,1.html

Fairly easy strum pattern too.... :)

Bob

M

Murr

We should make a recording of the "Super Easy Songs" that we have learned. [smiley=beer.gif]

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
That would be great Murr... it would really help me as I'm just not finding anything easy about them at all!

M

Murr

I will try and post a recording of "Ball and Chain" by Social D, in the near future. D,A,G,D D,A,G,D, repeat whole song. Using the most popular strum in the world. :cool: