Suggestions on problems with holding the pick correctly

Discussion in 'Forum Techie Questions And Suggestions' started by TerryMay, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Zzzen Dog

Zzzen Dog Blues Newbie

Okay y'all are killing me with this Old People stuff... At 53, you're all making me feel like a kid.

And honestly, you're only as old as you feel.

2. TerryMay

TerryMay Blues Newbie

That's a big ten four, I have been blessed with good health so far and I don't even feel like 66, I have good genes though mom and dad don't live to far from me and they are both in there 90's and doing good.

Silicon Valley Tom likes this.
  3. Silicon Valley Tom

Silicon Valley Tom It makes me happpy to play The Blues!

Yes, I was having a bit of a problem with pick slippage, but with the V Picks, that is no longer an issue. I use the same picks for my Acoustic Guitar, Bass, Irish Tenor Banjo, Irish Bouzouki, and Mandolin.

The pick is symmetrical, so it really does not matter how you hold it, as long as you get one of the outer surfaces to point towards the strings! :)

I have several different V Picks, but the Santana pick is my favorite! :):Beer:

Tom

Elio and TerryMay like this.
  4. Silicon Valley Tom

Silicon Valley Tom It makes me happpy to play The Blues!

I tell people if you want to lead a long and healthy life, choose the right parents! ;)

Tom

TerryMay likes this.
  5. artyman

artyman Fareham UK

What !!! 66 and 53 this place gets more like kindergarten every day :ROFLMAO:

6. EllenHarvey

EllenHarvey Blues Newbie

I've always had issues withthe pick slipping in my fingers, so I play a lot without (electric and acoustic). Ass we get older our skin is much dryer. I get a lot of relief using some hand cream a short while before playing. Its only temporary, but its a quick help. I am searching for the right pick myself. One I am working with now is Herco. It wraps around the thumb. You don't have any room for adjustment, but it does not rotate.

TerryMay and Zzzen Dog like this.
  7. JohnHurley

JohnHurley Blues Newbie

Grab more pick! Those words will always echo my guitar teacher noting you want very little just the tiniest bit exposed beyond thumb tip and fingers!

You should be feeling the strings with your fingers.

I do not use it but heck if you need less slippage you can try gorilla snot.

Seriously theres a product named that. Not quite super glue but sticky very sticky.

TerryMay likes this.
  8. snarf

snarf audiences like their blues singers to be miserable

I used to have a problem with the pick slipping, and switched over to Gator Grips by Dunlop (I think). About that time, I heard that SRV played with the round end of his pick instead of the point, so I spun the pick around and started playing with the pick's shoulder (point facing the neck). I haven't had a problem with it since then. Not sure which of those fixed the problem, but I imagine it's a little of both.

TerryMay and paparaptor like this.
  9. paparaptor

paparaptor Central Scrutinizer
    Staff Member

Those are my picks of choice. I go back and forth between the 1.14mm and 2.0mm picks. There are lots of others in the pick tin, but those are the ones that get pulled most often.

snarf and TerryMay like this.
  10. gpower

gpower Blues Junior

I'm a Vpick user as well (2.75mm medium rounded). I also really like Dunlop gels (X and XH). The first thing I picked up in your post was about holding the pick right... according to some lesson or other. If you look at vids of many great players you'll see there is no standard way of holding a pick. I found, like most everything else, as you practice your grip will change naturally and work for you.