Studio One Studio One (Version 5 only) - Clip Gain - Adjusting Volume for a specific section

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
This video demonstrates the use of the new feature Clip Gain within Studio One, version 5. It allows modification of the gain envelope over as large or small a section of an event as you may need. You can also make adjustments throughout an entire event.

https://youtu.be/p2PmraR6icg

Last edited:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I'll be re-doing this video. I left out something that I know will be of value, especially from the graphic @CaptainMoto posted about adjusting the volume.
You can select a range, like you could in V4 and then move the cursor to the top half of the selected range. You can then change the gain of the entire block in one step.
Unedited video is here:
https://fuzzypinkstrap.com/video/ClipGain-Addendum2020-08-02.mp4
Edit: There is no audio on the addendum video clip.
The coolest thing about this is the changes are in the signal chain right after the source clip and before any other processing. The entire event remains intact, unlike what you had to do in older versions.

Last edited:

Elwood

Blues
"I'll show you that again"....YES!!!
I just stumbled upon one of my main objections to you toob "how to" DAW vids. The instructor is usually jabbering away and like you have a bleeping mind meld with him, moves the mouse (just like in the old "wild wild west" show, time freeze, didn't see a thing) makes a significant change, give no clue, and keeps on trucking. While I am hitting "reverse" which jumps back so far I go get coffee and decide the volume won't help anyway.
I was just cruising through vol. adjustment guidance, how fortuitous!
Another nice touch Papa!!!

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
The instructor is usually jabbering away and like you have a bleeping mind meld with him, moves the mouse (just like in the old "wild wild west" show, time freeze, didn't see a thing) makes a significant change, give no clue, and keeps on trucking.
It's one of my gripes too. I was watching a video on setting up the video recording software I'm using and the guy covered in about 15 minutes what should probably have been done in half a dozen videos.
I'm trying to not do that. Please call me on it if I do. These videos are short enough, I don't mind redoing them if I'm moving too fast. I'm going to redo the Clip Gain video again to include the block change explanation as part of the deal, and I definitely won't go as quickly as I did in the addendum video.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I'll be re-doing this video. I left out something that I know will be of value, especially from the graphic @CaptainMoto posted about adjusting the volume.
You can select a range, like you could in V4 and then move the cursor to the top half of the selected range. You can then change the gain of the entire block in one step.
Unedited video is here:
https://fuzzypinkstrap.com/video/ClipGain-Addendum2020-08-02.mp4

The coolest thing about this is the changes are in the signal chain right after the source clip and before any other processing. The entire event remains intact, unlike what you had to do in older versions.

Odd. I get no audio on this clip, but your YouTube video works fine.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Odd. I get no audio on this clip, but your YouTube video works fine.
There isn't any audio on the clip. It was just quickie shot. I will probably redo the entire video today to include both examples.

Elwood

Blues
I just went through this again. I started using the cut tool instead of the arrow to divide my event. Of course this made a bit of a mess that had to be bounced. it worked, but following your instruction will not fragment the event and so require bouncing, a cleaner process! One more time, nice video Papa!!!

One peripheral question. Mike has his vocal on a stereo track. So far I don't have a clear understanding of when a mono or stereo track is preferable in a tune production and mixing situation. I get keep a stereo track or signal stereo. But when, and why is a stereo track preferable for a mono signal like most instruments or vocals?

Questions make questions (at least for me). If this is better in a different place or thread, please feel free to do whatever.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
One peripheral question. Mike has his vocal on a stereo track. So far I don't have a clear understanding of when a mono or stereo track is preferable in a tune production and mixing situation. I get keep a stereo track or signal stereo. But when, and why is a stereo track preferable for a mono signal like most instruments or vocals?

That's a really good question. And it's one I don't have a bullet-proof answer for.

I think if I was assembling several instruments for a recording, I would generally want a mono recording for most instruments. I would want drums on as many individual drums as I could. Cymbals are usually done with a pair of overhead mics, and I would generally want those in stereo. Mono tracks give you the ability to place an instrument in the sound field. You can pan a mono instrument easily. Vocals, too. If you're in doubt about how much difference is present in a stereo pair, you can use the Phase Meter plug-in in S1. A purely mono signal (or identical pair on a stereo track) will show up as a very nearly vertical line. The wider the graphic is, the more difference there is between the left and right channels. This may determine how you process the track.

Things I would want to record in stereo would be any instrument that is using two different signal sources, such as an old Rhodes electric piano that uses a stereo vibrato or an organ that uses a Leslie rotary speaker. If you're recording a guitar that's using some form of modeling, you may encounter stereo effects introduced by the modeler. In those cases I would record stereo and if possible also record a dry signal in mono. That said, panning a stereo recording may cause some portion of the recorded instrument to sound odd.

Sometimes a 'stereo' signal isn't really stereo, it's just a mono recording done on two tracks. Both tracks are the same.

You will have more control over instrument placement in a recorded sound field with mono inputs and you can largely control the 'ambience' in that sound field better if there is very little or no room ambience. Mono recordings tend to usually be close mic'ed specifically so room acoustics don't figure in to the recorded signal.

Having said all that, if I wanted to record a live concert and use the acoustics of the venue as part of the performance, I would likely put out at least a pair of mics that were pointed away from the live performance and record them as a stereo pair to better replicate room ambience.

If I was recording a band in a live performance, I would still close mic as many of the instruments (and multiple mics on drums) mainly in mono so I have the ability to overcome any deficiencies introduced by the room.

I don't know if that sheds any light and it certainly isn't gospel

Elwood

Blues
That's a good overview, thanks!
Billy Cobham! You are full of surprises!:thumbup: I don't thing everyone is ready for "Straight Life" though. :cool:

:Beer:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Billy Cobham! You are full of surprises!:thumbup: I don't thing everyone is ready for "Straight Life" though. :cool:
I have to admit. I came to find Billy Cobham through Tommy Bolin. I was a big fan of Tommy's, having seen him numerous times with Zephyr back in the late 60's and followed his career until his death in 1976. However, back to Cobham, I think my favorite BC album is Crosswinds, (followed closely by 'A Funky Thide of Sings'). I still have a bunch of his stuff on vinyl from way back when.

I don't know how many videos I've seen of Jeff Beck covering Stratus. It's such a simple song, yet drives so hard. My favorite cover of Stratus is by a little known band, originally from Omaha, called JRZ System. This circles back around, because the guys in JRZ System were all huge Tommy Bolin fans and did an instrumental cover of Tommy's 'Savannah Woman.'

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
Nice job is always butt. Pardon me if you've answered this already but I didn't get a chance to read through all the post I don't want to lose these thoughts.

So it appeared when you were doing this week you doing the static I you're not playing audio at the time you're making the change. So similar to adjusting fader can you modify regain structure while playing the track, instead of having to start the stop the track.?
Can I adjust multiple tracks at the same time?
Can the adjustment take place post effects? So if I'm modifying gain and I am adding Distortion in the door obviously as I changed the game it's going to change the Distortion, yes? So is there a way to change the game structure app to the distortion so it doesn't alter the game?

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Nice job is always butt. Pardon me if you've answered this already but I didn't get a chance to read through all the post I don't want to lose these thoughts.

So it appeared when you were doing this week you doing the static I you're not playing audio at the time you're making the change. So similar to adjusting fader can you modify regain structure while playing the track, instead of having to start the stop the track.?

No. This isn't a real-time operation. Also, it is done before any processing takes place, so the signal changes you apply using Clip Gain before any effects or sends. Working with the fader in real time is all done after effects and sends. I haven't covered anything about automation.

Can I adjust multiple tracks at the same time?
You can only operate on one track at a time, but you can enable the gain envelope option on multiple tracks and move back and forth between them.

Can the adjustment take place post effects? So if I'm modifying gain and I am adding Distortion in the door obviously as I changed the game it's going to change the Distortion, yes?
Yes, this is working on the signal before anything is done, so if you drop the levels using Clip Gain, and you have distortion in the Effects, the dropped levels will reduce distortion, just like turning down your guitar before a pedal.

So is there a way to change the game structure app to the distortion so it doesn't alter the game?
Not that I know of, other than using the fader to adjust after the signal has passed through the effect.

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
Well I guess you are still up. I just got home after a 15-hour day, I was going to look at my post in the morning to make sure it made sense but I see you've already answered my questions.

Thank you very much, I wish PreSonus technical support worked as quick as you.

jackderby52

Prehistoric blues knob (not newbie)
Next time I want to see your pretty face on the video! Or do I???

Where do you kids find the time??? I must be doing something wrong... Carry on!