Studio One Studio One Tips - Volume Automation

Elwood

Blues
I try to remember that walking only takes two steps but it takes us months to learn it the first time. Yup, I can do this.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
While I was using Cubase, I did most of my audio manipulation (volume and panning) using Automation, along with a Behringer BCF-2000 Control Surface. With the tools available in Studio One, I find it easier to work with them instead of using Automation. Even the BCF2000 works exactly the same in S1, but I just haven't had a need to use it as of yet. However, I have to admit, it is kind of cool to watch the motorized fader controls on the BCF move by themselves on playback.

Cowboy Bob

Horse Player/Guitar Wrangler
However, I have to admit, it is kind of cool to watch the motorized fader controls on the BCF move by themselves on playback.

Yeah it is pretty cool with flying faders. My Avid Artist Mix (8 faders) works farely well with S1 v5, but my Avid S3 will not. I would love to see Presonus embrace Eucon.

I tend to gain stage/trim so that my faders start at unity and target -18 dbfs. I have much greater resolution +/- 5db on the faders, so my automation doesn’t tend to have a lot of long throw fader moves.

I use use pan and volume automation as well as plugin automation. Plugin automation is a great way to manipulate sonic characteristics. Kicking in a filter or EQ boost, for example, for certain passage of your guitar solo, then kicking it off.

Ok y’all know I’m mainly in the Pro Tools camp, but am dabbling in S1 v5 as time permits. S1 v5 automation appears to be be very capable as well.

Last edited: