Studio One Studio One Question (for Lloyd????)

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I think this one is for our master guru @PapaRaptor, but any help is appreciated....

I use Studio One a lot... but I usually just use two tracks. One for a backing track and one for guitar.
Right now I'm trying to add a third track for vocals but I can't get it to become "active" this is what I see when I try to assign an input:

2022-10-01_Studio One.png

I can't seem to make Input 3 show up as "used" and I have no idea why it show up as "Virtual In 1" instead of "AR8 Mic/Line 3" (or something to that effect)
Thoughts?

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Two things. But to quickly answer your question, You can move the third input over to AR8 Mic/Line1 by just clicking on the box where horizontal Input 3 and vertical input 1 intersect. That should move the M that shows in your Virtual In 1 over to the Mic/Line 1 input.

The key thing to remember is the indications on the left (Input L+R, Input L, Input R) are dynamic labels. You can change the names so you can easily identify them in the Studio One tracking and channel strips. Changing the names has no effect on what they do.

But this display is odd. You should see multiple inputs across the top. Here is a snapshot of my AR12USB.
AR12-Inputs.jpg
Yours should look very similar, but with four fewer inputs showing across the top. I don't know if you are using an outdated copy of Universal Control or what, but when you look at the Options > Song Setup > Audio I/O Setup, you should see all the inputs that are on your AR8 mixer as well as the Virtual.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Two things. But to quickly answer your question, You can move the third input over to AR8 Mic/Line1 by just clicking on the box where horizontal Input 3 and vertical input 1 intersect. That should move the M that shows in your Virtual In 1 over to the Mic/Line 1 input.

The key thing to remember is the indications on the left (Input L+R, Input L, Input R) are dynamic labels. You can change the names so you can easily identify them in the Studio One tracking and channel strips. Changing the names has no effect on what they do.

But this display is odd. You should see multiple inputs across the top. Here is a snapshot of my AR12USB.
View attachment 17106
Yours should look very similar, but with four fewer inputs showing across the top. I don't know if you are using an outdated copy of Universal Control or what, but when you look at the Options > Song Setup > Audio I/O Setup, you should see all the inputs that are on your AR8 mixer as well as the Virtual.

I've reinstalled Universal Control, but I'm still missing inputs 3/4 5/6 & 7/8.
I've searched the Presonus support area, but can't find a solution.
Do you think this is a hardware or software issue? If it's software, I can just upgrade to v6 and maybe resolve the problem, but if it's hardware....
I don't really think it's hardware because when I plug something into those inputs, I can hear them through my monitors (bypassing the computer??).
Any suggestions?

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
I have no solution to your issue, being unfamiliar with StudioLive, but I wouldn't think an upgrade to six would solve your issue. That said, I'm at a loss how to proceed beyond making sure your OS, UC, and any devices are updated. Maybe a fresh install and setup of studio Live if you haven't already.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I've reinstalled Universal Control, but I'm still missing inputs 3/4 5/6 & 7/8.
I've searched the Presonus support area, but can't find a solution.
Do you think this is a hardware or software issue? If it's software, I can just upgrade to v6 and maybe resolve the problem, but if it's hardware....
I don't really think it's hardware because when I plug something into those inputs, I can hear them through my monitors (bypassing the computer??).
Any suggestions?
Are you running the Studio LIve Mixer directly into your computer or through a hub?
You might also try changing the USB cable to see if there might be an issue with it. The ARxx USB series is a USB2 interface. It's possible that a ratty cable could be limiting the bandwidth to the mixer. I doubt that's the culprit, but it's still worth a try.

I've tried to duplicate the issue with my AR12USB and haven't been able to duplicate it. I've tried it on both my main computer (eighth generation i7 running Win11) and on an older Dell i5 4th generation, with both v5 and v6 of Studio One. I saw a post in the Presonus forum regarding pretty much the same problem with a SL AR12USB, but the resolution seemed to be in downloading and reinstalling UC, which you have already done.

I even tried it with Studio One v5 Prime to see if that might be the cause. Prime will only record 2 channels at a time, but it still showed all of the channels on my computers.

I'm not sure what Presonus' support policy is, but you might consider opening a ticket with them. It can't hurt. Worst they can tell you is it is discontinued product and they no longer support it.

One other thing you may have already done, but you might try completely uninstalling Universal Control and then downloading and installing the most recent version. If you do, make sure when it opens the drivers list that the only item checked (besides UC itself) is the Studio Live AR driver.

Out of curiosity, have you ever downloaded and installed Capture from the Presonus website? The reason I'm curious about it is because if Capture recognizes your mixer as a SL AR8USB, it will display all 8 inputs when you attempt to record. If it doesn't recognize the AR as a Presonus product, it will only allow 2 channels to record.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Are you running the Studio LIve Mixer directly into your computer or through a hub?
You might also try changing the USB cable to see if there might be an issue with it. The ARxx USB series is a USB2 interface. It's possible that a ratty cable could be limiting the bandwidth to the mixer. I doubt that's the culprit, but it's still worth a try.

I've tried to duplicate the issue with my AR12USB and haven't been able to duplicate it. I've tried it on both my main computer (eighth generation i7 running Win11) and on an older Dell i5 4th generation, with both v5 and v6 of Studio One. I saw a post in the Presonus forum regarding pretty much the same problem with a SL AR12USB, but the resolution seemed to be in downloading and reinstalling UC, which you have already done.

I even tried it with Studio One v5 Prime to see if that might be the cause. Prime will only record 2 channels at a time, but it still showed all of the channels on my computers.

I'm not sure what Presonus' support policy is, but you might consider opening a ticket with them. It can't hurt. Worst they can tell you is it is discontinued product and they no longer support it.

One other thing you may have already done, but you might try completely uninstalling Universal Control and then downloading and installing the most recent version. If you do, make sure when it opens the drivers list that the only item checked (besides UC itself) is the Studio Live AR driver.

Out of curiosity, have you ever downloaded and installed Capture from the Presonus website? The reason I'm curious about it is because if Capture recognizes your mixer as a SL AR8USB, it will display all 8 inputs when you attempt to record. If it doesn't recognize the AR as a Presonus product, it will only allow 2 channels to record.
Well, it looks like my USB Hub was the problem! (I've used the hub for a LONG time with no other problems).
I plugged directly into the PC and it's pretty much working. Still not seeing 7&8 (They show up as Main R & Main L for some reason), but I can live with that for now.

Thanks.