Studio One Studio One - Metronome Basics

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I was surprised at how long it takes to run through just the basics of something as seemingly simple as a metronome. If you're into counting (and as a student of @Griff's, aren't we all?) learning some of the fundamentals of the Studio One Metronome might be a very handy thing. This video doesn't cover everything that it can do, but at least it won't be a mystery.

https://youtu.be/za1_p6cN5mM

Last edited:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
ANother great video.
Rollin all the way baby!!!!
I can't tell you how much of a PITA it's been for me not knowing this an having to create my own click lead-ins.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
The click functionality in S1 is WAY better than any DAW I've ever seen. Even Pro Tools doesn't have the options S1 has.

Only thing I haven't figured out is how to make it click something other than the default units. For example, if I'm in 12/8, I only want a click on the dotted quarters, not on every single 1/8th note. I don't know how to do that, or if it is possible.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
The click functionality in S1 is WAY better than any DAW I've ever seen. Even Pro Tools doesn't have the options S1 has.

Only thing I haven't figured out is how to make it click something other than the default units. For example, if I'm in 12/8, I only want a click on the dotted quarters, not on every single 1/8th note. I don't know how to do that, or if it is possible.
That might involve higher math.
Wouldn't that just be 4/4? And set the quantize to 1/8th triplets? That would set the tempo line to display each beat subdivided by three and you would get a click on each of 4 beats. Or am I missing something?

Will this do what you want?
Set your timing to 12/8. On the Metronome setup window, check the Repeat accent box.
You'll get an accent click on the beat and beat clicks on the 'and-uh.' Is that what you mean?
Or do you want to skip the beat on the 'and' and only get the syncopated shuffle style?

Last edited:

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
That might involve higher math.
Wouldn't that just be 4/4? And set the quantize to 1/8th triplets? That would set the tempo line to display each beat subdivided by three and you would get a click on each of 4 beats. Or am I missing something?

Will this do what you want?
Set your timing to 12/8. On the Metronome setup window, check the Repeat accent box.
You'll get an accent click on the beat and beat clicks on the 'and-uh.' Is that what you mean?
Or do you want to skip the beat on the 'and' and only get the syncopated shuffle style?
I found that setting it to 4/4, and using the triplet 1/8th quantize didn't create what I was looking for... however I'll try what you suggested. It may be that in version 3 that wasn't there (it doesn't sound familiar) but it is now in 5.

Griff