Studio One Studio One keyboard question

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
Somehow I have broken the connection between my Akai49 keyboard controller and presence in studio one. Everything works perfectly except the mod wheel. When I turn the mod wheel on my Akai, it has no effect on whatever notes I'm playing. In the presence window on the monitor, I can see the mod wheel match the movements of the wheel on the Akai, but still no sound modulation. I've reset the Akai and checked out the midi send info. Is it possible I've clicked something in presence that deactivated this? It only impacts me when I use the b3 organ. I've been strictly using the Akai for other keyboards and percussion inputs where I don't need a mod wheel, but my lame b3 playing sounds even lamer without it. Any suggestions?

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Somehow I have broken the connection between my Akai49 keyboard controller and presence in studio one. Everything works perfectly except the mod wheel. When I turn the mod wheel on my Akai, it has no effect on whatever notes I'm playing. In the presence window on the monitor, I can see the mod wheel match the movements of the wheel on the Akai, but still no sound modulation. I've reset the Akai and checked out the midi send info. Is it possible I've clicked something in presence that deactivated this? It only impacts me when I use the b3 organ. I've been strictly using the Akai for other keyboards and percussion inputs where I don't need a mod wheel, but my lame b3 playing sounds even lamer without it. Any suggestions?

What are you expecting the mod wheel to do? Which preset file are you using?
I'm working through a series of presets in Presence that are supposed to be close to a B3 and I have yet to find one that is natively mapped to the Mod Wheel.

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
What are you expecting the mod wheel to do? Which preset file are you using?
I'm working through a series of presets in Presence that are supposed to be close to a B3 and I have yet to find one that is natively mapped to the Mod Wheel.
I believe it controls the speed of the Leslie speaker IRL. There is a full b3 preset in presence, I used it quite a bit in SO 2.6 and in 4. Probably been a year since I've used the mod wheel, now I can't get it to operate. Presonus forums showed some similar complaints, but no solution. Its really an essential part of the b3 sound to my ears and I haven't been able to automate a fix, which would be pretty inconvenient anyway.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I believe it controls the speed of the Leslie speaker IRL. There is a full b3 preset in presence, I used it quite a bit in SO 2.6 and in 4. Probably been a year since I've used the mod wheel, now I can't get it to operate. Presonus forums showed some similar complaints, but no solution. Its really an essential part of the b3 sound to my ears and I haven't been able to automate a fix, which would be pretty inconvenient anyway.

I never used 2.6. I went through a bunch of my organ settings in Presence with my keyboard and none of them respond to the Mod Wheel, which I would expect, since the Leslie sound isn't isn't actually a part of Presence, but instead is a plug-in.
However, you can make it work as you describe pretty easily.
Open a new song.
In the channel lane, drag in a copy of Presence.
Make sure your mixer is open.
Drag the Rotor Speaker plug-in into your mixer Inserts list for the Presence channel.
Check to confirm that S1 is seeing your mod wheel. In the upper left hand corner of the main channel window, you should see something like this.
MIDILearn-ModWheel.jpg
It may be named something else. My keyboard is a really old M-Audio Oxygen 61 and doesn't have a template within Studio One, so I previously built the template and the mod wheel has already been named. On my keyboard it is Control 8 and I have named it 8-Mod Wheel.
To be certain you are seeing the mod wheel, move the mod wheel. If the number in the lower right corner of the box changes with movement of your mod wheel the software is monitoring your mod wheel.
Once you know the mod wheel is being recognized, open your Rotor plug-in and click on the Rotor Speed Switch.
That will change the upper left display to say Rotor and Speed.
Then click the left pointing triangle between the Rotor (left) and Mod Wheel (right)
MIDI-Rotor-linked.jpg

That should globally link the control in the software unless you change it.

Last edited: