Recording Studio 1 Version 5

Cowboy Bob

Horse Player/Guitar Wrangler
As many of you doubtless know Presonus released Studio 1 version 5 on 7 July 2020.

I don't really use S1, being a Pro Tools user for years, but I was entitled to a free upgrade from S1 4.6 Professional to S1 5 Professional, so I grabbed it.

I've watched a few of the videos, but am curious of the take that any of y'all might have on this new version, if you've tried it.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
As many of you doubtless know Presonus released Studio 1 version 5 on 7 July 2020.

I don't really use S1, being a Pro Tools user for years, but I was entitled to a free upgrade from S1 4.6 Professional to S1 5 Professional, so I grabbed it.

I've watched a few of the videos, but am curious of the take that any of y'all might have on this new version, if you've tried it.
I bought my copy of v4 within the grace period, so I qualified for the free upgrade. I really haven't had time to do much with it. The only thing I've noticed is Presonus managed to keep their hands off the interface enough so that I didn't have to re-learn anything I already know. The few things I noticed (so far) that I think I will find helpful is the ability to name the marker track cues (not new), but also to have them listed in the inspector pane and to be able to go directly to the marker locations from the Inspector pane. I think anyone familiar with StudioOne v3 or v4 will be able to slide into this without having to spend a week in the manual.

I like the fact that I was able to keep a copy of v4 on my computer and was able to install v5 in addition. They share the libraries, so with a v4 installation already existing, it wasn't necessary to download the 2+ gigs of sound files again.

At some point, I might try out the Sphere subscription service, to see if I can get a feel for Notion, which Presonus claims is now fully supported within Studio One. While the ProTools subscription model turned me off, Presonus claims they will not abandon the individual license model. They also sweeten the pot with the sub mode with access to every piece of software and sound libraries that Presonus offers. However, they aren't including third party offerings that are available through the Presonus website. For $15 a month I find it a reasonably priced way to see if it's what you want on your workstation.

Home Studio Trainer has put together a playlist of (currently) 10 relatively short videos showing a lot of the new goodies in v5. Here is the link to the playlist (from Youtube).

Last edited:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
@PapaRaptor Does the "grace period " apply to the Artist or just Professional version? I have Artist, but haven't see anything that talks about an upgrade path.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
@PapaRaptor Does the "grace period " apply to the Artist or just Professional version? I have Artist, but haven't see anything that talks about an upgrade path.
Here is the info from Presonus website.
PreSonus is providing a 90 day grace period for Studio One version 5. This means if you registered a copy of Studio One 4 on or after April 7, 2020, you are within the grace period. OEM copies do not qualify for free upgrades.

The upgrade applies to both S1 Pro and S1 Artist.

Link: https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-...or-those-who-recently-purchased-Studio-One-4-

Cowboy Bob

@PapaRaptor You should have already in your account a demo version of Notion. I know I do, but I've never downloaded it. I use Sibelius Ultimate, or GP 7.5 .

Notion appears to be very good, but not quite mature, for what I have to deliver at times. MuseScore is FREE but no integration other than MIDI of XML.

With VERY limited use that I have with S1 v5 thus far, I can say that I really do like the idea of the clip gain envelope.

I too, absolutely detest subscription models. I have perpetual licenses of Pro Tools and Pro Tools Ultimate. The yearly fee that they charge, I'll call it a maintenance fee, because you don't loose your license if you quit paying, you're just frozen at that version, actually is a wash with what I had been spending on major upgrades to Pro Tools in the past. So although I detest it, it isn't that bad.

The Sphere thing is a better execution, in my opinion, of Avid's Cloud Collaboration. I know the storage amount is greater with Sphere, but Avid has some lossless compression going on so a 10gb file only takes up like 1gb.

I personally think S1 v5 is a winner overall. Will I move away from PT? No, but I can see adding S1 to my PT and Logic studio. I just have to find the right project.

Cowboy Bob

If you registered on or after 7 April 2020 you'll be entitled to it.

You should get an email if you are entitled to the grace period upgrade.

I did find that I could not see the redeem option when I went to my account using my standard Safari browser. Only after installing Chrome did it show up. Just FYI.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
If you registered on or after 7 April 2020 you'll be entitled to it.

You should get an email if you are entitled to the grace period upgrade.

I did find that I could not see the redeem option when I went to my account using my standard Safari browser. Only after installing Chrome did it show up. Just FYI.
Presonus website was completely overwhelmed through most of the day on the 7th and was very slow yesterday. I haven't had any reason to visit today. I got the upgrade email from them just before noon on 7/7. I tried a number of times during the day and was finally able to get it downloaded and installed late that night. I wasn't able to get the manual until yesterday (7/8) afternoon.

Cowboy Bob

Presonus website was completely overwhelmed through most of the day on the 7th and was very slow yesterday. I haven't had any reason to visit today. I got the upgrade email from them just before noon on 7/7.
Yeah, I know. They need a little more bandwidth. :LOL: I got an email notice on 6 July about about a live Farcebook (sorry I couldn't resist) event happening on 7 July. I also got the amnesty upgrade email sometime after that.

I didn't find out that Safari (as well as FireFox) was an issue until I got a PM from someone on the S1 forum. I installed Chrome at like 3:30 and had S1 v5 installed, activated and running by 4:00. I played with the clip gain envelope a bit, because that was what I was most interested in.

As i said, very limited time with it but good overall.

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
Well, I'm glad they finally added plugin support to Artist. That was a deal breaker for me and is something that all of their competitors in that price range have. I might just get that now as I don't really need the extra features of Pro. I've been trying out a friend's Pro 4 and haven't used anything that's not in Artist. They wiped out the version comparison page they used to have for the versions, so it's harder to compare them now.

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
I was unaware that this release of V.5 was imminent when I bought a new Presonus mixer two weeks ago. The mixer included a license for Studio One Artist, but of course I did not realize that I could have installed V5 instead of V4.6 had I simply waited an extra week and a half to do so. Not only that, but while V5 supports non-Presonus VST plugins as MikeR pointed out, S1 Artist V4.6 does not, so I paid for an add-on pack to add that (about $100 - could've spent a little less, but the pack also included a full version of Ampire). And now I can spend another $50 to upgrade my V4.6 to V5. Hmm...

I sent a query to their support desk to ask if there's anything they will do for me. I will update if/when I hear anything.

Last edited:

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
I was unaware that this release of V.5 was imminent when I bought a new Presonus mixer two weeks ago. The mixer included a license for Studio One Artist, but of course I did not realize that I could have installed V5 instead of V4.6 had I simply waited an extra week and a half to do so.

From the link Lloyd posted above, it appears that if you got S1 Artist as part of a hardware purchase, you do not get the V5 upgrade, regardless of installation status. Instead, you get 4 months of Sphere for free.

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
Yes, I saw that page. But had I waited until July 7 to do the install, I would have received the new version of Artist. I have no use for four months of Sphere.

One can upgrade any previous version of Artist to Artist version 5 for $50. I already threw them $100 just a few days ago. Not holding my breath, but we'll see what they say.

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
I see. When you register the hardware it gives you version 5 if it;s after July 6. In that case, I'm thinking about buying some hardware to get Studio Artist. Instead of just paying for the software, it's like getting a $100 discount on the hardware.

BigMike

Blues Oldie
I have not upgraded to S1 v5 yet but I have always been impressed especially with the interplay between Notion and S1. So since Notion is now integrated within S1 then I will be updating soon. Also impressed with the editing facilities in S1. I see they have also updated a lot of their own plugins, and since I have just had my hand bitten by Waves and their dodgy update strategies, I will be using predominantly Presonus plugins in future.

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
I was unaware that this release of V.5 was imminent when I bought a new Presonus mixer two weeks ago. The mixer included a license for Studio One Artist, but of course I did not realize that I could have installed V5 instead of V4.6 had I simply waited an extra week and a half to do so. Not only that, but while V5 supports non-Presonus VST plugins as MikeR pointed out, S1 Artist V4.6 does not, so I paid for an add-on pack to add that (about $100 - could've spent a little less, but the pack also included a full version of Ampire). And now I can spend another $50 to upgrade my V4.6 to V5. Hmm...

I sent a query to their support desk to ask if there's anything they will do for me. I will update if/when I hear anything.

They said "No," which is not too surprising. I'll keep using it, although I'm now somewhat less inclined to become an enthusiastic Presonus evangelist than I might have been. Cowboy Bob, sorry for hijacking the thread.

Last edited:

Cowboy Bob

They said "No," which is not too surprising. I'll keep using it, although I'm now somewhat less inclined to become an enthusiastic Presonus evangelist than I might have been. Cowboy Bob, sorry for hijacking the thread.
No issues Son. It's all relevant to the thread.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
You would think that they would offer existing customers SOME discount incentive to upgrade, but I'm not seeing one.

Cowboy Bob

You would think that they would offer existing customers SOME discount incentive to upgrade, but I'm not seeing one.
Well that's just it. The upgrade price is a much better price than buying it outright. AND, the higher level of product, the greater the upgrade value. That's pretty typical of all of em.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
They are. Anyone who has a licensed copy of Artist (OEM or full package), it's $49.95. The full package price for Artist is $99.95.
Likewise, the Pro upgrades are offered significant discounts.
Upgrading to Pro from any version of Artist (full, OEM, V3, V4) is $299.95 vs. $399.95 for a full package.
Upgrading from an existing copy of Pro (any version) is $149.95 vs. $399.95 for the full package.
https://shop.presonus.com/Studio-One

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I see. When you register the hardware it gives you version 5 if it;s after July 6. In that case, I'm thinking about buying some hardware to get Studio Artist. Instead of just paying for the software, it's like getting a $100 discount on the hardware.
You might want to wait on that, until what's in the manufacturing pipeline has been refreshed, or at least check with Presonus before making the purchase.

I picked up a second Presonus Studio LIve mixer after v4 came out. The mixer was brand new, but was the now discontinued SL AR12USB (got a really good deal on it). I went to the Presonus website, figuring I would get a S1 v4 copy of Artist, but upon registration it sent me to a d/l for V3, which was the one listed on the documentation that came with the mixer.