Strummimg... again! What am I missing?

L

Lame_Pinkey

Here is a simple & easy riff to play Ray, you should get it in no time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93pE3npDRRs

[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

LP

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
I love that track! [and my wife has gone all nostalgic... 'In Rock' was one of 'our albums' back in the day  ;D ]

L

Lame_Pinkey

I listen to that a quite a bit just love that riff - Hard Playin' Ritchie  :cool:

LP

Cynicure

Blues Newbie
Now that album takes me back to when I was about 17; cruising around Bedfordshire, UK with the other two members of our 'band'; Steve Woodward and Stuart Smith in the latter's red Mini Cooper 'S' with 'Highway Star' or 'Space Truckin'' going full blast on the 8-track stereo SS had installed in his mini!

We never played a gig, but we were all 'rock stars' in our minds... I think Steve went on to become a professional muso; never heard what happened to Stuart.

Happy days!

[smiley=beer.gif]

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
Yes Sir ma'am   ;)

I did 2 sessions today, all strings muted just playing the strum. I messed up a couple of times but I was really 'feeling' it by the end  :)

SunnyOne

Blues Newbie
Yes Sir ma'am   ;)

I did 2 sessions today, all strings muted just playing the strum. I messed up a couple of times but I was really 'feeling' it by the end  :)

ok! we'll do this through the week then?

Tim

Blues Newbie
Ray on the bottom of my page you will see the quote "belief is everything" second to that is "feel is everything".

Until we "feel" the rhythm we will be lost. I struggle with rhythm as well. I have found that counting the beats ie. 1&2&3&4& or 1&ah2&ah3&ah4&ah or 1e&ah2e&ah3e&ah4e&ah. Also find these ryhthm patterns written out. Some people need the graphic display in order to get the rhythm inside.

The best way for me is to listen to rhythms. Record on to audacity and loop them. Play along as best you can then pause and play what you heard.

You will get it my friend. I believe in you. Now go practice.

Tim

L

Lame_Pinkey

Another thing too that should not be overlooked.
A while back there was a post about being able to "hum" it.I'm not sure if Griff started the post but this was what Griff had said, in fact it was his Dad that said it to Griff,
" [glow=yellow,2,300]if you can hum it, you can play it [/glow]"
Obviously you need to know the chords etc to do so in the 1st place.Once you know them then its a matter of putting them together - simple right ?  :-/ Humming it whilst playing reinforces in our minds what it is we are trying to accomplish & our hands/fingers adapt to meet the requirements necessary.With that in mind I think that we perhaps start with as minimal chord change as possible (economy of movement) and the obvious choice here is open E & open A (dom7ths or minors could be used just as well) and taking a riff/tune (the most popular strum - LP's classic E,A,B7 12 bar  ::) )
but just using the E & A ( 1st/tonic & the 4th ) & playing that - don't forget to hum now  ;) back & forth then as we feel more comfortable & its coming along we can add the next chord in the progression or in the case of a 12 bar play it all the way though, humming merrily along.
Once this is achieved to the level you are happy with we can then move on to other chord shapes utilising the same principle - I'm sounding like a bonafide egghead here  ;D
Humming btw can also be substituted with          " Dah,Dah, Dah'ing" or "Doo,Doo,Doo'ing" or "La,Laa,Laah'ing"
Keep that in mind & give it a try , I've got a headache now from all this egghead speak  :eek:

LP

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
That's really great advice LP, all the time I got some song or other I'm la la-ing or do do-ing but I don't do it with anything I play!

Adding that to today's routine!

I was feeling a bit beat by this problem but not any more, you guys have really come through for me. I'm getting near the end of BBG & I felt a fraud if I couldn't get to grips with this before I finished it. Thanks all  [smiley=beer.gif]

L

Lame_Pinkey

You can count on it Ray we'll get you there for sure.The humming is about bringing everything into 1 whole - thought,word & deed - & you may be pleasantly surprised at how such a small thing as this can get you moving along.
works on rhythm & solo's don't work so well while drinking beer though  ;D
Hmmm, i wonder if it would work on Jenna ?  :-/

LP

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
Good to hear that Tim, it's helping me too - I caught myself humming the world's most popular strum this morning... while out walking my dogs! :)

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
That it is Russ... I've gone from feeling I can't do something to having fun with it in just this one thread!

I love this place  :)

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Does anyone know where that video is that I did on "fluffing" the last strum? I can't find it anywhere and that's so perfect for Ray right here!

Griff

Rue

Blues Newbie
Didn't you talk  about 'fluffing' in the lessons ?   I started doing that when I came across it and it works for sure.   ...now I can't remember where it was.