Strummimg... again! What am I missing?

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
I still laugh at the phrase 'simple strumming song' I just can't do it or when I have just about got a grip on it for one of the lessons it doesn't translate to other songs and I soon lose it.

I have tried.. no tempo; pressing & releasing the strings; down strokes only; concentrating on just one chord change; practice; repetition; metronome; counting the beats.

The fact is that every time I need to change chord I have to look at where my left hand fingers are going and I lose concentration on the strum with my right hand & either stop strumming, lose the pattern with a long gap or completely mess up the chord itself, even ones I've known & can play for a long time. There seems to be some basic coordination problem going on that I can't figure out.

The last few days I decided to try one of Marty's beginner strum songs, thinking if I can just get one down I may be able to build on it. This one is as straight forward as it gets, with chords I know
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/j/johnny_cash/folsom_prison_blues_ver2_video_lesson.htm
but I can't play it!

Any ideas outside of those I've mentioned? Maybe something 'outside the box' I'm quite prepared to play Nursery Rhymes & kids songs to get through this block or go back to the very beginning, but I've run out of ideas.

I do apologise for the repetition & I'm not whinging about it, I'm just baffled why I can't make it work.

Russ

Blues Newbie
Ray UK, did you get Griff's E-mail about faster chord changes during strumming? I believe it is archived in Griff's E-mails or whatever that thread is called, in Announcements or Learning or something. (Sorry, I'm a bit scattered today)
If you didn't get the E-mail, the basic gyst of it is this:
1) Get the strum pattern down pat to where you don't have to think about it. Let your arm keep time for you.
2) It's not a crime to watch your left hand. Many professionals do it.
3) The secret sauce to changing chords in time is to fluff the last strum. Meaning......
Let's say you have this pattern. 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +
On 4 +, lift your fingers and change chords on the +, to make the next chord by the time you are strumming on the next 1. Griff says it give the "professional" sound to it.
The rest of it just has to do with timing to make the strum sound like a particular song.
After that E-mail, my playing improved dramatically.
Sorry if that wasn't what you were asking about.

BTW: Just watched Marty's lesson on your link. I thought you said that was an easy lesson.  :-? If that was easy, I'm screwed!  :eek:
The thing that throws me off on his lesson is the Low E bump. I love Country music and that's the reason I'm here to learn, but that is still too advanced for me. If I were you, I'd stick with Griff's strumming stuff until you can do it in your sleep. Just sayin'.

panther

Blues Newbie
It seems I recall Griff stating that many players if not all, will
Strum the open strings on the upstoke to buy time to make the chord change. It happens so quickly that the ear doesn't hear it, and it covers the gap between chord changes. I do it and it woks great.
If I find the reference I'll post a link or location.
"Panther"

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
Thanks both :)

Russ, I'm glad you said that about Marty's vid, it sure made me feel better as I thought it was supposed to be easy. I'll have a look for Griff's email, there's sure to be a link.

Dan, I don't think I've tried that and I'll give it a go, thank you  [smiley=beer.gif]

L

Lame_Pinkey

Quick question Ray ( i think I know where you're at here ) how is your muting or chopping as I call it ? I call it chopping when you cut the chord off very rapidly after strumming it.
Whats yours like.When i first playe guitar muting/chopping was one of the things that i taught myself very quickly - I could not stand the sound of -particularly - open strings ringing so I taught myself to chop 'em off !Even to the exteant that if whatever it was I was learning actually contained the strings/notes ringing I would chop 'em off. I started on an electric & is still all I play one of the reason's why i chop everything off i guess due to the sustain of an electric.
Anyways get back to me with your answer , as always I have a plan  ;)

LP

CJ_Allan

Blues Newbie
You Might want to check this out,,,,,,,
It really helped me with my strum patterns.........

http://www.nextlevelguitar.com/offers/strumming_rhythm_set/

L

Lame_Pinkey

What , no "Twinkle,Twinkle Little Star" bah rip off !
I enjoy David Taub though, might be worth considering Ray.
Good find CJ.

LP - wha's up good people ?

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
Thanks CJ, looks like a great idea! I've seen a few of his free videos & he's clear to follow & keeps it fun.

edit to add... I just read through the details again & it fits the bill perfectly, it's a good price & they give free shipping to the UK! Needless to say I have ordered it.... thanks again CJ  [smiley=beer.gif]

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
Hi Ray, another site you can check out for strumming help is Rythmstrummer.com. It is a pay to play site but has free vid's also. I fool around there alot. (don't tell my wife).

henryj

Blues Newbie
What was that sight where the guy broke down strumming songs by "Chug a bump" or chug chug a bum.  I though I had is saved but I seem to have lost it.

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
Thanks Ed, I'll check it out :)

I know the one you mean Henry, although I can't find my bookmark either, great way to start getting the strumming pattern in your head... sadly my need is even greater as I always lose the rhythm when it come to the chord change! Hopefully this set that CJ recommended will do the trick. It has shipped! :)

Cynicure

Blues Newbie
Don't much like the strum in the example of 'Folsom Prison' you gave anyway Ray... I prefer the strum I use in my own version of this... (I know, I'm both biased and big-headed!)

As to your problem, I wonder if it may have anything to do with thinking too much about the change; I realise this may sound hard, that it may not even make much sense, but try to change chords without thinking about it too much... If you need to, you may have to spend a few minutes each day just changing chords; don't even bother to strum... And use the most commonly used sequences for practice; soon they'll be second nature and won't interfere with your strumming.

The sequence C, F, and G7 are good ones to learn strumming rhythms on first, I think, 'cause they're so easy to change from one to the other and there are a lot of songs based around these chords... If you need some songs with these chords in 'em let me know and I'll email some to you (if you give me your email addy, that is!)

[smiley=beer.gif]

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
Thanks Dave, I do tend to over think the chord change, I'll give it a go. I've been meaning to alter my profile for ages to show my email so I finally got round to that as well.

I'll try what you suggested first & the instruction DVDs that are on their way & drop you a line a bit later for those songs you mention if that's OK.

I know you'll appreciate one of these  [smiley=beer.gif]

SunnyOne

Blues Newbie
I like that link you posted and  I'm proud to say I can play that. Sometimes I don't feel very successful but that kind of playing is easy for  me.

I'm not sure what you mean about strumming. What part of the strumming is hard for you?  Even if you get your fingers all jumbled keep your strumming hand going. It has to go from your hand to your head automatically and it will happen. Then when you get the strumming down concentrate on the notes.

I remember just strumming without doing anything with the notes part of it. Try doing it that way, just do the strumming part till it starts sinking in.

I hope that is what you are talking about.

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
It is that mostly Sunny, when I get to the chord change thinking about the next fretting position means I lose the strum pattern or even stop strumming altogether. If I had the strumming down to where I didn't have to work at it maybe I'd get through this wall.

Thanks for your thought Sunny, I just strumming with nothing else going on too :)

SunnyOne

Blues Newbie
It is that mostly Sunny, when I get to the chord change thinking about the next fretting position means I lose the strum pattern or even stop strumming altogether. If I had the strumming down to where I didn't have to work at it maybe I'd get through this wall.

Thanks for your thought Sunny, I just strumming with nothing else going on too :)

yep, cause the strumming you'll do with MANY songs, but the notes you'll do with one specific song. So, just right now, till you can do it in your sleep, just do the strumming. It will happen!