Acoustic Guitars Strange fret work

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Steve Vai's personal guitars also have a rather unusual fretboard.
https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/blog/20...e-temperament-a-new-type-of-guitar-fretboard/

Can't imagine doing a re-fret on that one!

Probably the only job in the world where being under the influence of mind-altering substances is actually a benefit.

So does this mean that all of the music I've heard and loved all these years - music that's sounded awesome and perfect through headphones has actually been played with poor intonation?

Who knew?

Momantai

Red nose, red guitar
Bill, I disagree. Fan frets are meant to compensate the twist of your wrist and arm when moving up and down the neck. It has nothing to do with this “true” intonation stuff.
In my view “true” intonation is futile. As soon as you touch (and, oh no... bend....) your strings the pitch changes anyway. Bending on these frets can sound pretty weird....

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
From what I've read James Taylor has some strong opinions on intonation and tuning practices. From where I sit, the distinctions are so tiny as not to be worth all the effort to mitigate. YMMV. :Beer:

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
Bill, I disagree. Fan frets are meant to compensate the twist of your wrist and arm when moving up and down the neck. It has nothing to do with this “true” intonation stuff.
Can I disagree with the disagreement. I thought fanned frets were to enable a longer scale length on the bass strings for better tone. So the bass side is a baratone and the trebble a standard scale..still not true intonation though:rolleyes:

cheers

Al.

DannyB

2 miles from Jim Beam. Oh! Pleasent Hope!
From what I've read James Taylor has some strong opinions on intonation and tuning practices. From where I sit, the distinctions are so tiny as not to be worth all the effort to mitigate. YMMV. :Beer:

I found this tidbit is kind of interesting. The “Sweetened Acoustic” setting on Peterson Strobe tuners came from Taylor.

As previously said, YMMV!

Momantai

Red nose, red guitar
In fact it has to do with both tone and playability. The article Mark points to is mostly about tone, but under Ergonomics it also explains why fanned frets are easier to play. We’re all right (y)

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I played a fan-fret acoustic at Camp last year. Honestly? I had a really hard time with it. Muscle memory meets radically different fretting feel and I just could not grok the care and feeding of that beastie with just a half-hour or so of trying.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
So does this mean that all of the music I've heard and loved all these years - music that's sounded awesome and perfect through headphones has actually been played with poor intonation?

Yes, to misquote Firesign Theatre, 'Everything you've heard is wrong.'

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
8dycb.jpg