Story behind moniker?

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
I am a physician; but, never intended for it to be displayed. Initially, I only intended to be on this forum briefly to get some information.  So, Dr. Ron jumped into my head.  But, in retrospect, had I known I would become a BGU junkie, I would have picked a something more colorful and less self serving.  I actually use "Axenerd" in the past on other forums.

slofingers

Blues Newbie
I emailed a former co-worker of mine and signed it as Slowhand. Being a big Eric Clapton fan, and him knowing how crummy of a player I am, he would get the irony of it. When he replied back, he addressed me as "Slowfingers". I thought that was funny, but too close to Slowhand to use. Living in San Luis Obispo county and working in the city of San Luis Obispo, or S.L.O.town, I figured s.l.o.fingers was a good take off of it. Then I decided to dump the periods and just go with slofingers.

Jim pyron

Got Yer Blues
Easy.  My name is Jim Pyron and I was born in '58.  My mother's Italian and calls me Jimino, my sisters and close friends call me Jimmy, and the rest of the world calls me Jim.  Hence Jim58.

JN99

Hang Fire
Mine is pretty boring but somewhere in 1999 I signed up for an online account, likely Hotmail, and everything was taken so I added a 99 to my name.  Henceforth on pretty much every forum I've ever registered for it's just been JN99.

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
I got a Private Pilot's License about 10 years ago.  It was a very hard thing for me to do, especially since I am afraid of heights.  On my checkride the FAA examiner kept calling me captain.  He said that the checkride was the first time that I was officially Pilot in Command, and hence the term Captain was appropriate.

I also borrowed Jerry Lewis' picture from the move "The Family Jewels", where he was an airline pilot, flying a Ford Tri-Motor  in the jet age.  "Captain Eddie Felton" was the character in the movie.

sbowes

Blues Newbie
My name is Stu and my father started calling me "The Stuminator" after the first Arnold Schwarzenegger Terminator movie. I kind of use Stuminator as a default moniker any more. My Dad passed away a few year back so using it is a pleasant memory of him.

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
That's cool Stu!

Unfortunately, I can't repeat most of the names my dad had for me! :eek:

Just kidding.  He didn't really call us names much.  It was the beatings that were the problem. :'(

Just kidding again.

There was one time when he decided my brother needed a whippin' so he took him into the garage and made him bend over.  My dad took a short piece of reclaimed 2x4 and hit him on the bottom with it.  But the board was cracked or rotten or both, and it broke in half.  The end flew off across the room and went right through the stack of storm windows all leaning nicely against the wall of the garage.  My brother started to laugh, and my dad started to laugh, and the beating was over.  So they both went back into the house laughing hysterically.  My mom asked, "What's so funny?"  So my brother told her, "Oh, dad hit me with a 2x4!"

My hero was my grandpa.  He was gentle little guy with a gleam in his eye, and not a cross word for anybody.  Wore his pants up to his armpits.  He came home from work one day and both my Mom and her brother, my uncle, who were like 8 and 10 at the time had done something that day at home while my grandma was there.  But punishment was for the man of the house so it waited till he came home.  he was told by his wife that they did this and they did that and they both needed a whipping with the strap.  So reluctantly he took the shaving strap and the two kids into the bedroom and closed the door.  Pretty soon my grandma could hear the strap strike home and one of the kids yell in pain.  Then the other on the next smack.  This went on for a bit, and my grandma felt they were getting too many smacks, and that my grandpa was hitting them too hard, and getting blood curdling yells out of both kids.  So my grandma went and opened the door to tell him that was enough!  She found the kids standing next to the bed and saw my grandpa coming down on the bed with the strap and then the kids taking turns yelling as if being hit.  So then grandpa was in trouble! :mad:

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
My name is Stu and my father started calling me "The Stuminator" after the first Arnold Schwarzenegger Terminator movie. I kind of use Stuminator as a default moniker any more. My Dad passed away a few year back so using it is a pleasant memory of him.

My dad always called my brothers and I nerd birds growing up.

sbowes

Blues Newbie
There was one time when he decided my brother needed a whippin' so he took him into the garage and made him bend over.  My dad took a short piece of reclaimed 2x4 and hit him on the bottom with it.  But the board was cracked or rotten or both, and it broke in half.  The end flew off across the room and went right through the stack of storm windows all leaning nicely against the wall of the garage.  My brother started to laugh, and my dad started to laugh, and the beating was over.  So they both went back into the house laughing hysterically.  My mom asked, "What's so funny?"  So my brother told her, "Oh, dad hit me with a 2x4!"

My hero was my grandpa.  He was gentle little guy with a gleam in his eye, and not a cross word for anybody.  Wore his pants up to his armpits.  He came home from work one day and both my Mom and her brother, my uncle, who were like 8 and 10 at the time had done something that day at home while my grandma was there.  But punishment was for the man of the house so it waited till he came home.  he was told by his wife that they did this and they did that and they both needed a whipping with the strap.  So reluctantly he took the shaving strap and the two kids into the bedroom and closed the door.  Pretty soon my grandma could hear the strap strike home and one of the kids yell in pain.  Then the other on the next smack.  This went on for a bit, and my grandma felt they were getting too many smacks, and that my grandpa was hitting them too hard, and getting blood curdling yells out of both kids.  So my grandma went and opened the door to tell him that was enough!  She found the kids standing next to the bed and saw my grandpa coming down on the bed with the strap and then the kids taking turns yelling as if being hit.  So then grandpa was in trouble! :mad:

great stories ;D

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler

My dad always called my brothers and I nerd birds growing up.
I was 15 before I realized my first name wasn't Dammit.  Good ol' Dad.

Cowboy Bob

Horse Player/Guitar Wrangler
I was 15 before I realized my first name wasn't Dammit.  Good ol' Dad.
[smiley=thumbsup.gif] I hear ya there Man.  I've always said that until I left home I always thought my name was GAWD dammit Bob and my brother was GEEEEZUZ KRISTE Don.

Hope I don't get banned for being offensive   :'(

Jim pyron

Got Yer Blues
The good old days when you could discipline your children without being arrested by your  own child.  Dammit was my name for a long time too.

jporzelius

Blues Junior
So, both my parents grew up speaking German.  My name is James.  It's tough to spell phonetically, but they called me yawmus, especially when I was in trouble.  When I wasn't in trouble so much they morphed it into yawmer.  When I joined poker stars a few years ago every nickname I could think of was taken, I tried jahmer (my spelling of yawmer) and it worked.  I've stuck with it for all my sign ons now cuz it's never taken and it reminds me fondly of my parents.

jahmer  [smiley=beer.gif]

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
Years ago I used to drive truck and your CB handle was given to you by your fellow drivers. I always envisioned life at the Crossroads. Each decision you make each day brings you in a direction, and say five decisions down the line it may be very difficult or may not be possible to get back to the Crossroads (decision) you were @ 5 times before.

So when people would ask how you doin, I would respond "I'm at the Crossroads dude" as a constant reminder to myself that each decision can affect your life in ways yet unknown. For example the decision to buy an RV caused me to take my kids camping every summer for 16 years. It affected the friends we had and the places we went, and the lessons thay learned growing  up.

Buying Griffs course and attending the first BGU live took me in another direction. So sometimes even the smallest decision (purchasing an online guitar course) can affect you life in ways you never envisioned.

So here's to all of you making the best decisions at your Crossroads.

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
Years ago I used to drive truck and your CB handle was given to you by your fellow drivers. I always envisioned life at the Crossroads. Each decision you make each day brings you in a direction, and say five decisions down the line it may be very difficult or may not be possible to get back to the Crossroads (decision) you were @ 5 times before.

So when people would ask how you doin, I would respond "I'm at the Crossroads dude" as a constant reminder to myself that each decision can affect your life in ways yet unknown. For example the decision to buy an RV caused me to take my kids camping every summer for 16 years. It affected the friends we had and the places we went, and the lessons thay learned growing  up.

Buying Griffs course and attending the first BGU live took me in another direction. So sometimes even the smallest decision (purchasing an online guitar course) can affect you life in ways you never envisioned.

So here's to all of you making the best decisions at your Crossroads.

Wise words, well put. Thanks for that...Crossroads.