Still scratching my head over the Standard Harmony Rule

Kommetjie

Blues Newbie
Interesting discussion, your point is well made, Paleo, G Dorian, the second mode of F major, seems the logical choice.
Could be we're getting into the jazz realm here, modal-based cool jazz vs arpeggio-based bebop . . .

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
There is a Dm during the bridge (at least that's what it sounds like to me.)
Got it.

That's where the guy in the YouTube video I referenced above uses the "punches". (@3:50)

It gives the 2nd string a nice little melody line: D E F E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPgctkALRA4

Instead of Gm C Dm C he uses Gm C7 Gm7 C7.

They're really close. They have 2 notes in common.

Dm: D F A.

Gm7: G Bb D F.

And using Dm also gives you that same little melody line of D E F E on the second string.

Maybe give it a try and see what you think.

Otherwise we have to deal with both a Dm and a D Major in the song.

Which we can do. It will affect our scale choices for soloing.

(Sidebar: Using Dm reminded me of the Kingsmen version of Louie Louie. If only the Gm were Major. That's where my ear took me.)

Last edited:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Gm C7 Gm7 C7 sounds good an I may start using it instead of Gm C Dm C, but I'm not sure the audience will be able to tell the difference.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
The keyboard in the recording really make those "punches" stand out. So.......

In the immortal words of Sly Stone, "You might like to hear my organ".

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/lbgoxbfhho73se2/Evil Ways.mp4?dl=0

First I play the triads, Gm C Dm as:

G Bb D = Gm
G C E = C
A D F = Dm

Then the "fuller" chords, Gm C7 Gm7 as:

G Bb D = Gm
G Bb C E = C7
G Bb D F = Gm7

Notice the G & Bb occur on the "bottom" of all 3 chords.

(And the A of Dm is nowhere to be found.)

I think the difference is much more noticeable on the keyboard.

Have a listen and see what you think.

And thanks,@MikeS, for the original post that brought all this up in the first place.

It's been a lot of fun for me to work all this out.

Last edited:

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
This is probably a great topic for an AAP discussion... but let me see if I can help a little.

If I was on a bandstand and someone called this tune and I said, "What key?" I'd probably hear back, "G," which clearly doesn't make sense and is wrong, but we'd all know exactly what was intended. I might hear, "G minor," which also isn't right, but if I didn't know the changes, as soon as I heard the 2nd chord (the C7) I'd know dorian was the mode.

So it's always important to remember that, what is said on a bandstand and what is accurate aren't always the same thing!

If your chords are Gmin and C band and forth (because the D only happens at the end) that's a classic ii-V move (minor chord, up a 4th to a major or dom7th chord.) Which would mean it's using a G dorian tonal center (key of F.)

However, when the D comes along, there's a modal interpolation going on where the Gmin is now thought of as a vi, and we have changed to the key of Gmin, but on top of that it's changed to the Harmonic Minor mode and the D is now a V in a minor key using the Harmonic Minor scale.

This is SUPER common in Latin tunes, and pretty much to be expected. They are often in a minor key, which makes it so that the V chord will be major or dom7 when it arrives.

Even if that doesn't all make sense, yet, from a soloing standpoint it's simple - G dorian over everything until the V chord and then use G harmonic minor (and, if it's not a D7, you might find that G minor pentatonic sounds just fine, it's more bluesy.)

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
This is probably a great topic for an AAP discussion... but let me see if I can help a little.

If I was on a bandstand and someone called this tune and I said, "What key?" I'd probably hear back, "G," which clearly doesn't make sense and is wrong, but we'd all know exactly what was intended. I might hear, "G minor," which also isn't right, but if I didn't know the changes, as soon as I heard the 2nd chord (the C7) I'd know dorian was the mode. How? Why?

So it's always important to remember that, what is said on a bandstand and what is accurate aren't always the same thing!

If your chords are Gmin and C band and forth (because the D only happens at the end) that's a classic ii-V move (minor chord, up a 4th to a major or dom7th chord.) Which would mean it's using a G dorian tonal center (key of F.) What makes this so? Is a detailed theory answer the only way for me to spot and understand this? I think I need to go back and re do the modes course

However, when the D comes along, there's a modal interpolation going on where the Gmin is now thought of as a vi, and we have changed to the key of Gmin, but on top of that it's changed to the Harmonic Minor mode and the D is now a V in a minor key using the Harmonic Minor scale.

This is SUPER common in Latin tunes, and pretty much to be expected. They are often in a minor key, which makes it so that the V chord will be major or dom7 when it arrives.

Even if that doesn't all make sense, That's for sure. yet, from a soloing standpoint it's simple - G dorian over everything until the V That's the V chord in F?, which would be the C chord so I'd be changing from G dorian to Gm every two beats? (1&2 1&2 1&2 1234 ) chord and then use G harmonic minor (and, if it's not a D7, you might find that G minor pentatonic sounds just fine, it's more bluesy.)

I guess you've answered my original questions... "Just tell them Gm" but clearly you have generated lots more questions... and that's a good thing... I think....
LOL,
Thanks.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Some pertinent, mostly overlooked lessons from 2 of Griff's courses. (At least they don't get mentioned very often on the forum.)

"Modes Unleashed" Lessons 10 & 11 on Changing Modes.

"The Harmonic Minor Scale" Solo #1 Latin Rock Feel.

Together they cover pretty much what Griff just said above.

ADDENDUM: Oops! I fixed it.

Last edited:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
"The Harmonic Scale" ???? I don't see that course in my AAP list.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
DOH! I was looking under "H" for "Harmonic Minor" not "T" for "The Harmonic..."

Griff

Staff member
DOH! I was looking under "H" for "Harmonic Minor" not "T" for "The Harmonic..."
I'm a musician... you're surprised by this?

Actually I do know how to alphabetize, but I just missed that one and it's too hard to change it now. Ctrl-F is your friend in the browser :)

Griff

Staff member
There is a Dm during the bridge (at least that's what it sounds like to me.)

View attachment 5540
I've never played the tune with those changes... but they work still. If Gmin is ii, C is V, Dmin is vi, so it doesn't mess anything up.

However, it's VERY common in latin music for the bass player to play the 5th, not the root, like that. So you may be hearing a Gminor chord with a D bass note and thinking that's D minor.

Griff