Starting Over!

matonanjin

Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.
Starting over is something I have to do.
When I first start a course as great as this one, I usually go thru it with excitement and speed, then go back to the beginning and go thru it slowly, and amazed then on how much I missed
Good point. True for me as well.

matonanjin

I haven't posted my progress here but don't want anyone to think the worst here. I am still working on lesson 1 and I am close to finishing up. Health issues and travel related to the health issues had me stalled out for a short period.

But I have made a commitment to myself, and now to you, to doing this correctly this time. I had mentioned above that d#@$%^ed C open -> Cm barre chord change. I could have, and probably should have, just played it C open straight through. Some of you suggested this and I believe Griff said it was acceptable to do this. But I am sooooooooooooooooooo close! I'm dedicating a section of each practice session to working just this change with the metronome. I am at about 68 bpm, I believe. And I think the fast version of 1-11 is at about 90 bpm. I may not get it to exactly 90 bpm. But if I can get all of the fast version of 1-11 done smoothly and play that change close to correct I'll be happy. I will probably "short change" the second C open chord in order to hit the Cm barre on the 3 count.

Hopefully, the next few days!

@Olivia , @MarkDyson , @DaveJardine how are you guys progressing?

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
@Olivia , @MarkDyson , @DaveJardine how are you guys progressing?

Been working lesson 2 as time permits. Like noted above, I skipped the Cm barre chord change and moved on with a focus in the right hand stuff. I ran all the way through lesson 2 on a superficial level and now am going through it slowly and with a care to internalize the material. I can see adapting visually to sight reading tied notes is very much a learned skill; my approach for now is study, memorize, and practice the sequences and hope to be able to play them by sight sometime down the road.

Olivia

the lady sings the blues
Hi guys,

@matonanjin @MarkDyson

So long for posting more often :rolleyes: apparently my last post was on 14th October (ouch)

Aside from not posting at all, I am still working on this, and it is so much better and far more enjoyable than last time (y)

I still have a go regularly on the C to Cm to G chord change. I also keep on playing the 2.5 example. I always liked it, the rhythm from the Em to the C and the Am, and the two D's different rhythm. It is really nice to practice something you like, and it is more likely to bring results :sneaky:

Talking of which, I remember how lesson 4 was another challenge, and after that "everything" kind of became easier. I really "loved" lesson 9, which incidentally is when I put this course back on the shelf, no comment :cautious:

I have moved on to lesson 3, which is an "easy" one, at least for me.

I am gearing myself up for lesson 4, where I probably will be stuck for a while :ROFLMAO: those D changes in bars 6 and 7 are "awesome"

Best to you guys. I will try to post more often (!) at least that's the plan :unsure:

Olivia

Last edited:

matonanjin

finished up Lesson 1! Actually got the C Open -->Cm barre chord mastered at about 88 bpm. I recorded myself and hope to post it here. But in the meantime I am on to Lesson 2.

Olivia

the lady sings the blues
Good on you Ron (y)

If you do post the link of what you have recorded, it would be great.

I would definitely listen to it. I am not good with computers at all, but i should think I can manage to open a link (!)

88bpm sounds really good to me, including the C to Cm to G chord changes.

Have fun with lesson 2.

I am still plodding along (!)

Olivia

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Thought I'd take a break from other stuff, rip the shrink-wrap off this course and join the party.

I finished Lesson 2 and liked the progression, so I got the urge to do a little noodling over Griff's audio track.

Just for fun, here's a sampling of the result.

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/f1sag8nug58s243/EX 2-5.mp3?dl=0

Please forgive me. I know I'm supposed to be concentrating on the rhythm, but I started hearing melodies while playing the progression. I couldn't help myself.:whistle:

Last edited: