Starting BGU or ABGU while going through BBG

RyanAndreasen216

Blues Newbie
I am currently just over half way through BBG. I have been practicing it in a very liniar fashion, ie begining to end. I was wondering if it would hurt to start in on one of the other BGU or ABGU courses while finishing BBG. What do you all think?

Larry H.

Mojo Enabled
I don't think it wouldbe an issue. I started with regular BGU before I even found the BBG; so there't that...

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
you know, sometimes I wake up, and I feel the acoustic and a strumming day, other times I wake up and feel I wanna do some licks.

Other times, I am all about rocky road and Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream

Bottom line, I am never going to be a professional musician, my cloud 9 moments are jamming with the guys from here at the blues jams on stage

So, do what makes you feel good each day, sometimes a break from one thing, really can create an improvement in another area

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Yeah, I started BGU first, and have been stalled on BBG (still haven't gotten Sitting Easy Blues memorized well enough to play it even once through) but still go back to the earlier lessons of BGU to refresh my memory so technically I'm doing both at the same time.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Certainly won't hurt. Actually quite the opposite.

You'll find that BBG is more like a combination of ABGU and Griff's "Strumming & Rhythm Mastery" course.

BGU has two lessons at the end on the "Playing On The Porch" style which are similar to lessons in BBG and ABGU.

BGU covers common blues "comping" for the first half and then focuses on pentatonic/blues "boxes" used in soloing for the second half.

ABGU if more interested in playing alone.

BGU if more interested in learning to solo over blues progressions or playing in a band.

But not a distinction written in stone.

Any combination of the four courses will be useful and reinforce each other.

"Completing" all four courses will give about as solid a foundation as you could ask for,

From there you can branch out into other courses that go into more detail in the areas you find most appealing to you.

Last edited:

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I am currently just over half way through BBG. I have been practicing it in a very liniar fashion, ie begining to end. I was wondering if it would hurt to start in on one of the other BGU or ABGU courses while finishing BBG. What do you all think?

One thing to consider is that Griff has created and organized the courses and lessons in a particular sequence. Each one is designed to help build a proficiency that you will utilize in a later one. For example, BBG will get you to exactly the point you need to be at in order to optimally start BGU. With that said, I think that there is some value in checking out some other courses, but to get the full value of what they have to offer, don't let it distract you from completing each one in sequence.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Many of Griff's courses can be studied concurrently, but for a new player, I'd get all the way through BBG before I started any other course.
Once you finish BBG, I'd jump right in to BGU or ABGU (depending on your interest (electric or acoustic).
Once you are into the solos in BGU, I'd say that it's save to explore other courses. (That's when I did SWS and it was great for me).