Standard Harmony Rule(s) For Modes?

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Emphasis on being plural.

Working in G Major:

G A B C D E F# G

For A Dorian some would say "play G Major from A".

A B C D E F# G A

While some would start with A Major:

A B C# D E F# G# A

and say flat the 3 and 7 giving you the same result:

A B C D E F# G A

and a formula for Dorian:

1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7

Now do the same with the chords of G Major

G Am Bm C D Em F#dim

SHR for Major/Ionian: I, IV and V are Major; ii, iii, vi are minor and vii is diminished

V chord will become Dominant 7

(All 7 chords are V chords only applies to Major/Ionian)

For Dorian start with the second chord, Am

Am Bm C D Em F#dim G

Since C is a b3 compared to A Major the C chord can be considered a bIII chord.

Likewise the G chord can be considered a bVII chord since it is built on the b7 of the Dorian scale.

SHR for Dorian: III, IV and VII are Major, i, ii and v are minor and vi is diminished

IV chord will become Dominant 7

Continue the process with Bm as the i chord, then C as I, D as I.

Here's Em as i (which will also yield the SHR for Natural/Relative Minor; GTMU Lesson 16)

Em F#dim G Am Bm C D

SHR for Aeolian: i, iv and v are minor; III, VI and VII are Major (also considered bIII, bVI and bVII) and ii is diminished.

bVII chord will become Dominant 7.

Maybe check out the AAP Theory session from 9-16-21: Power Chord Harmony

I wasn’t allowed into the recent discussion concerning the “cheat sheet” related to this topic. :cry:

I just think the derivation of that chart is easier to understand if you “plug in” actual chords. :unsure:

Last edited:

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
That's a nice breakdown Paleo... lots of stuff to ponder. Thanks.

One observation - I think the SHR for Dorian should read "III, IV and VII are Major, i, ii and v are minor, vi is diminished"

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
You (or anybody) call that TYPING? More like pecking.

I've wondered about (but never tried) harmonising the Melodic and Harmonic Minor scales. I imagine that would lead to one or two unusual chords?

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I've wondered about (but never tried) harmonising the Melodic and Harmonic Minor scales. I imagine that would lead to one or two unusual chords?

Here’s a page from an old notebook where I did just that starting with A Natural minor.

FBC13D51-3269-4353-85B2-F330CB1567CE.jpeg

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Wonder if any AAP members took note of how Griff numbered the chords in C minor in today’s (3-15-23) session. :unsure:

Last edited: