St. Louis Blues

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
One of my favorites. When I was 7, W.C. Handy appeared and performed on the "Toast of the Town", Ed Sullivan's CBS television show. About four years later, W.C. Handy was introduced by Ed Sullivan, as a member of the audience.

An interesting thing about St. Louis Blues, is that it is a standard 12 bar blues, and the bridge is a 16 bar, habanera. It is said to be the first published Blues composition. W.C. Handy was well versed in music, and a fine musician.

There are many fine version of this music, and here is my favorite as sung by Bessie Smith.

Then there is my version on Lap Steel

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0izjpl5i4zr7nt1/St Louis Blues.mp3?dl=0

Tom

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
That was great: And I think it was the 1st Blues Compositions....with that being said---did you know that the 1st commercially recordings of the
blues were financed by a wealthy Englishman--(don't remember his name) and were recorded in Richmond, Indiana--my home town and if I remember right it was Decca records- but through the years went through many different labels---the plant was still in operation in 1972, as to if it is still standing I don't know but if it is I am going to have my son go down and take some pictures of it for my archives...Later P.S---The original version of "St. Louis Blues" later had words added to the instrumental it was "I hate to see that evening sun go down"---it was done by many great Blues singers--and the 1st time I ever heard it was on the "Lucky Strike Hit Parade" back in the late 50s...some white woman was singing it...don't remember who.

Last edited: