Speaking of pull offs...

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Does anyone else have this problem?
Often when I do a pull off on the high E string, I wind up pulling the darn string right off the fretboard. Not a good sound by the way. It's gotten to the point where I have to slightly bend the string up on the original note. It's worse when I'm attempting a fast triplet (for example I plant my index finger on the 5th fret, then pull the 8th fret, then the 7th fret.
It seems to happen on all my guitars, so I don't think that it's a setup thing.
Any suggestions?

henryj

Blues Newbie
I did that when I first started pull offs. The problem is going away now that I have practiced. You just gotta do a bit of a flick as you come off the string.  It doesn't take a gorilla touch. 

gpower

Blues Junior
Getting used to just flicking off the tip of your finger rather than plucking down on the string and snapping it, is one of those techniques that just comes with time and practice.

I'll often spend time getting this cleanly back and forth between 2 or 3 strings. Pick note - hammer on - pull off. 1 - 2 - 3, 1 - 2 - 3, 1 - 2 - 3.

This litle lick might help Mike:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7espWKKASc

Cyberthrasher_706

Blues Newbie
I have that problem quite a bit when I'm just doing a simple pull-off, not a tweedlie like I'm used to. Just takes practice. Last night I actually spent a couple of hours practicing little stuff like that to get used to the new guitar, but also focus on some of the stuff I don't usually concentrate on.

wgabree

Blues Newbie
I sometimes run into that when I get a new guitar.  My fingers are used to the string being a certain distance from the edge.  Just takes some practice to learn how to NOT pull the string off the fretboard.

On the other hand, make sure the guitars neck is properly aligned and that the string isn't actually too close to the edge of the fretboard.  (one of those Dan Earlywine books would cover that).  And, of course, if you have a set in neck, there's not going to be much you can do about that unless you bring it to a pro.

:cool:

CJ_Allan

Blues Newbie
That link, & exercise,  is helping me with this problem I've been having...especially with my little finger..

Thanks.... :)

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Gary, that three note pull off(x3) is pretty close to what I wrote for Griff's "Write A Solo" challenge, and that's where I was noticing the problem. I guess, I'll just have to practice more.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Believe it or not, this is a good problem to have. If you're pulling the string off the fretboard, at least you're pulling it. That's better than getting no sound because you're lifting straight up.

This will pass soon, don't sweat it.

Griff

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Thanks Griff. I was surprised to see how closely the three pull off part of my solo was to the Brian Setzer lesson that you sent out! Man, I just find it hard to believe that I'll ever be able to play it as fast and cleanly as you can.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
You might get a kick out of knowing that I was just trying a new thing the other day and had that same feeling... "how is this possible?"

The only advantage I have is time and experience. I know that even though it seems impossible now, it's not. I've overcome those hurdles through the years so I know they will be overcome this time as well.

Once you're learned a few of those "unlearnables" you'll realize the same is true for you as well.
Griff

Cyberthrasher_706

Blues Newbie
Griff, I usually go through that thought every time I start a new uptempo solo. But, knowing what I've already managed to learn in the last year, I just think to myself "hey, I have the tools to learn this". That's actually caused me to bite off more then I can chew on a few occasions. Oh well, you don't grow if things don't get harder.

gpower

Blues Junior
I'll +1 that guys. I hear something, look at the tabs, and just shake my head. Once I get into it though, I generally manage to work it out. Some things take a bit longer and are more work than others but, it does come around.

SunnyOne

Blues Newbie
you'll get it Mike. i am having trouble getting a pull off at all...much rather have your prob then I'd know I'd have to back off a bit.