Spark Practice Amp

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Has anyone got this practice amp? (or ever used one). A friend has asked me what I thought of it, and I had to tell him I'd never even heard of it!!!:confused: But I told him I knew a bunch of knowledgable guys who might know.:D

Any feed back appreciated.

Thanks

spark

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
Never heard of it. However it is just a class D power amp with 2 4" speakers running positive grid modelling. If he likes modelling then the positive grid stuff is well thought of (several others here have the larger +ive grid amps). My only concern would be the 4" speakers. Probably good for home use but even with 40w on tap I wouldn't expect it to keep up with a drummer.
The amp I notice runs at 4ohms so I suspect it is the same one every one else uses. I have it in my Mooer baby bomb. It is only rated at 30w there as it only has a 8ohm min impedence (due to a lower power consumption but I believe it is the same amp circuit). This is plenty loud enough through 12" or even a 2x8" cab I built but I would still worry about 2x4".
cheers

Al.

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
It was recently put out by Positive Grid which makes bias amp and bias FX.
But Spark. does not integrate the software from either and has its own amp modeling software setup, as well as appears to be a way for them to generate revenue from subscription-based services. As far as I know they are still taking pre-orders but don't know when the expected ship date is.
They hyped the heck out of this thing for a while and when they released most PG users were like WTF?
In typical PG fashion they haven't released all the details about how the subscriptions would work. They make great modeling software but their understanding of the market and ther delivery to the market appears to be lacking.
My take I would wait till after they deliver and see how they perform. I know they've been slowly bumping up their pre-order pricing but knowing PG you'll likely be able to get one for the same price anyway. And I think therewill be a lot on the aftermarket. That said a number of people have pre-ordered. You can get more opinions on the bias amp bias FX Facebook page

Last edited:

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
So Tom Quayle put out a demo of Spark. I can swear by the tones of the software, still unsure of how much customization you get of the software, and the other features

It looks like they are using Bias FX2, and I guess they are using the BFX2 Sound Cloud.

So though I am still unconvinced, @ $199 it may work as a practice amp for others.

I can say the amp tones and effects are top notch.

https://www.positivegrid.com/sparkapp

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
So Tom Quayle put out a demo of Spark. I can swear by the tones of the software, still unsure of how much customization you get of the software, and the other features

It looks like they are using Bias FX2, and I guess they are using the BFX2 Sound Cloud.

So though I am still unconvinced, @ $199 it may work as a practice amp for others.

I can say the amp tones and effects are top notch.

https://www.positivegrid.com/sparkapp

Too bad it doesn't have a DI output! that could be a game changer.

matonanjin

Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.
Has anyone got this practice amp? (or ever used one). A friend has asked me what I thought of it, and I had to tell him I'd never even heard of it!!!:confused: But I told him I knew a bunch of knowledgable guys who might know.:D
Not available (shipping) until next month. But it sure does look interesting, especially at just $224 (US).
Too bad it doesn't have a DI output! that could be a game changer.
It does. Go here and then scroll about half way down and,
"Use Spark as your USB audio interface.

Connect Spark and easily record on your computer. Best of all, Spark comes with a free copy of PreSonus Studio One Prime recording software."

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
It does. Go here and then scroll about half way down and,
"Use Spark as your USB audio interface.

I was referring to a DI for output to a FOH mixer, not a recording output (I was thinking XLR balanced line level audio, not USB digital output). With a standard DI, it could quite literally be a single solution to bedroom volume practice, recording and live performance in an extremely portable package.

matonanjin

I was referring to a DI for output to a FOH mixer, not a recording output (I was thinking XLR balanced line level audio, not USB digital output). With a standard DI, it could quite literally be a single solution to bedroom volume practice, recording and live performance in an extremely portable package.
I have absolutely no idea what you just said:p:rolleyes:

zwantedone

Blues Newbie
Pretty cool. I had looked at them before, and kinda forgot about them. Been looking for something like that. Might just order one...

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
Based on my experience with Positive Grid you might want to consider, waiting until it after is released and proven, if you haven't already ordered.

Kind like buying the first production year of a new model car, it usually takes a while to work the unknown unknowns out.

Also their pricing fluctuates all over the place, and based on their behavior they appear to be always in need of quick cash.

Although I think their digital amps and FX are among the best out there, they have displayed a pastern of over promising and under delivering.

Just s heads up.

zwantedone

Blues Newbie
Thanks for the heads up, crossroads. just thinking about. will probably wait until they start to deliver...Will

matonanjin

Also their pricing fluctuates all over the place, and based on their behavior they appear to be always in need of quick cash.

Just s heads up.
If one goes to their "pre-order page" it states "4958/5000 sold". At $224 @ that should be $1.1 million added to the coffers. They should be flush at least for a short while;)

Stinger22

Blues Junior
Never heard of it. However it is just a class D power amp with 2 4" speakers running positive grid modelling. If he likes modelling then the positive grid stuff is well thought of (several others here have the larger +ive grid amps). My only concern would be the 4" speakers. Probably good for home use but even with 40w on tap I wouldn't expect it to keep up with a drummer.
The amp I notice runs at 4ohms so I suspect it is the same one every one else uses. I have it in my Mooer baby bomb. It is only rated at 30w there as it only has a 8ohm min impedence (due to a lower power consumption but I believe it is the same amp circuit). This is plenty loud enough through 12" or even a 2x8" cab I built but I would still worry about 2x4".
cheers

Al.
I've been getting lots of ads and have watched some videos, not enough on the clean side to really judge. It's not made to play live from what I am seeing it's a home practice amp with some play along and instruction. Yeah I'd have to hear it live with the 2x4" or I guess it has an out you could get a little 12" cab.

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
I noticed I did get a $20 Spark coupon code in my email today cuz I have a bunch of their stuff. Anyone's interested PM me Will only work once so first PM gets it