Spark PositiveGrid Amp

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I personally only know one person who's ordered one (that I know of): back in November, still doesn't have it, and he's rather unhappy with the company.

Bob630

Blues Newbe
With 2 responses saying the same thing, I don't think I am going to look into it any further.

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
I've had Bias software and I think it's outstanding. As for the Spark I wouldn't get one but apparently there are some people that like them, though the wait time is atrocious. PG often offers promotions of free 30 days or discounted rate on the software. If you're interested you might want to check that out.

Stinger22

Blues Junior
Ordered one end of February under an estimated May delivery now mid-June. Not surprised with the COVID thingy and not waiting with baited breath anyway. For use in the living room not the studio. They have been shipping orders previous to mine, I was in the last chance group.

From April 24th

Dear Last Chance Special Purchasers:

We are living in challenging times. And we know that music has the ability to make things better, so we have been working around the clock to get Spark in your hands as soon as possible.

As previously reported, our factory is running non-stop, producing thousands of Spark amps. Despite worldwide shipping delays, we have worked to optimize the transportation of Spark units to get them to you as fast as possible. The challenge we face now is the delay caused by backlogged customs agencies around the world.

We now estimate that Last Chance Special supporters will begin receiving their Spark amps in mid-June. While we wish we could fulfill all the orders right now, we're working our hardest to expedite the process for you.

In an effort to quickly get you information related to your Spark shipment, we have added a new Track Order tab to our website at positivegrid.com/spark. Simply enter your email address and order number to receive real-time updates on your order. We will email you as your order moves from one stage to the next, and we’ll share your tracking number as soon as your Spark ships to you.

Thank you for your continued support and patience. Stay healthy and safe.

Sincerely,

The Spark Team

This from March 26th

"Right now we have thousands of Spark amps in transit for distribution throughout March and April. We will send you an email when your Spark ships to you so that you can track its progress.

We have already fulfilled all Early Bird and thousands of Power Supporter orders and want to assure you that even though these unprecedented times, we will be shipping Sparks non-stop over the coming weeks."

Stinger22

Blues Junior
Just saw a guy over at Moe's Tavern, old Fender FTP forum, got his last week and says it's FANTASTIC.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I do have the PG Bias Mini amp, and their Bias Amp 2 software, and it's all top-shelf quality stuff. I have no doubt the Spark will also be a quality piece of gear, it's just difficult to find non-sponsored good things said about it online amid the flood of pissed-off pre-order folks who've been losing what patience they have. I know: first world problems. :Beer:

From a purely gearhead perspective the Spark sounds like a great idea: I'm especially intrigued by the backing drums and bass idea, since right now my TRIO+ pedal is the main source for that in my little practice area. Something small, all-in-one, and easy to use would be pretty cool.

aleclee

Tribe of One
Gotta keep in mind that the plural of "anecdote" is not "data". :) From what I've seen, the bulk of customers' complaints about Spark revolve around the fact that they don't have it yet. The (few) paying customers who have taken delivery don't seem at all disappointed.

Overall, seems like a nice piece of kit. I probably would've ordered one had my usage patterns been different.

matonanjin

Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.
There is a review of this amp in Guitar Player magazine July issue. I don't have the issue so have not read the review. If Positive Grid advertises significantly I suspect the review will be positive. :rolleyes: Not that I'm a cynic. I wouldn't buy the magazine just for the article on the amp. And if I did I'd have to order it now since the two Barnes and Noble's we had here just permanently closed their doors. And I may. This issues seems to have several tasty articles. Layla, Clapton's and Allman's gear, Joe Bonamassa, etc.

I have now sufficiently steered this thread off topic, haven't I?

gup_p1(49).jpg

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Hey Bob. My friend finally got his Spark yesterday.:)
He hasn't found out how to use it yet though, so no reports on how good/bad it is.:rolleyes:

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Hey Bob. My mate just got back to me, and says it was a long wait, but Wow.... Wow.... Wow!!!!!!! Take what you will out of that.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Hey Bob. My mate just got back to me, and says it was a long wait, but Wow.... Wow.... Wow!!!!!!! Take what you will out of that.

Encouraging. Based on the actions of a couple of my friends, and enthusiastic reaction from some folks who have received them, I went ahead and threw my hat in the ring for one of those "last chance" offers. Wouldn't mind a simpler practice set-up that includes backing drums.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I gotta tell ya,
For years I searched for a small format amp to use onboard my boat (home) and It was a challenge to get something decent.
Lately, there are so many cool tools that I wish where available back then.

This looks like something I would have grabbed in a minute.
I'm in a different place now and don't need one but, it I can see this being very popular.

Keep the personal reviews coming.

BigRigSteve

aka Drumtrucker... coming to a town near you
preordered during the 2nd early bird 'special', took forever to come, but I got it awhile back. It now sits beside my bed and I use it when I am home. Sounds great, it really does, my friend @Joe_Abrams heard it and he ordered one. I only use the 4 Blues tone presets, I assigned them to the 4 programmable buttons, usually end up on number 4, it's narly.

Only complaints are no line out (i don't count the earphone jack) and...
The output through the USB to computer and DAW, is low and not adjustable that I can figure out anyway, unlike the signal out of
my 11 rack which is adjustabe. I can get it good enough for using to judge myself, but I wouldn't want to try recording anything to publish.

Can get plenty loud, but sound decent at lower volume.

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
I ordered one a couple of weeks ago. Received an email a couple of days ago stating that it should be shipping end of June.

Stinger22

Blues Junior
preordered during the 2nd early bird 'special', took forever to come, but I got it awhile back. It now sits beside my bed and I use it when I am home. Sounds great, it really does, my friend @Joe_Abrams heard it and he ordered one. I only use the 4 Blues tone presets, I assigned them to the 4 programmable buttons, usually end up on number 4, it's narly.

Only complaints are no line out (i don't count the earphone jack) and...
The output through the USB to computer and DAW, is low and not adjustable that I can figure out anyway, unlike the signal out of
my 11 rack which is adjustabe. I can get it good enough for using to judge myself, but I wouldn't want to try recording anything to publish.

Can get plenty loud, but sound decent at lower volume.

Firmware update?

https://forum.positivegrid.com/topic/3484/using-spark-as-an-interface
jaiforster 14 days ago

Has there been an update on this? I'm keen to use the Spark as an interface (when it arrives) and wondering if i'll need a stand alone unit like the Scarlette. I'm hoping the output levels have been sorted?

0 1 Reply Last reply 13 days ago