Song for all them Johnnys: Opinions

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Back in the latter part of 1971 I wrote a song (the title above)..I filed protection rights with a company out of CA. "American song federation" in 1972 good for 15 years (This will be pretty lengthy but bear with me)

1st verse; Momma bought him a guitar; on the 12th year of his life.--Gospel book included with the strings.
every single afternoon little Johnny slip away, and in the orchard you could hear him learnin' how to sing;
"Will that circle, be unbroken; by and by Lord by and by; There's a better home out waiting in the sky Lord in The sky."

2nd; Papa wanted Johnny, to help him with the chores, momma got as mad as she could be.
After two weeks of fussin' and fightin' and eat cold soup beans, poppa said OK to Johnny learnin' how to sing.
"will that circle be unbroken bye and bye Lord bye and bye, there's a better home out waiting in the sky Lord in the sky'.

3rd Johnny packed up his guitar picks, and packed up all his strings, headed where the fortunes always blow. First a funky little tavern then twenty more the same, if momma she could see John now-she'd sureley be ashamed: "but that circle won't be broken bye and bye Lord bye and bye, there's a better home out waiting in the sky Lord in the sky.

4th----Johnnys voice got to getting rough and his pickin' wasn't fire; seems a spoon of clouded water had took his one desire---so he cooked up all his medicine and ran it in a vein---sit down on his hotel bed thinking bout some things---"like sittin in the orchard learnin' how to sing"

5th-----Momma get your Sunday dress Johnnys coming ' home today---gee mom your really looking swell today;
momma didn't say a word she just turned and walked away.
when she saw that big black hearse rolling up the lane. "and the circle just got broken right in two Lord right and two. mommas' crying-momma' weeping she don't know what to do-----The End

OK; HERE IS WHAT THIS POST IS REALLY ALL ABOUT:
in 1975 a rock band ---"BAD COMPANY"---(i think they were out of England) put out a song called "SHOOTING STAR" here are their main lyrics to it" (by the way they are not as long so hang with me)

1st----Johnny was a school boy; when he heard his first Beetle song: "Love me do" I think it was.
From there it didn't him long--got himself a guitar played it every nite
now he's in a rockin'-roll band and everything is all right ---don't you know.

2nd-----Johnny told his mama-mama I'm going away; gonna hit the big time---gonna be a big star some day
momma came to the door with a tear drop in her eye---Johnny said don't cry momma smiled and waved good bye

(I am skipping the 3rd verse of there song and moving on to the 4th verse)

4th -----Johnny died one night; died in his bed, bottle of whiskey and sleeping tablets by his head;
Johnnys life passed him by like a warm summer day---if you listen to the wind you can still hear him play.

That's all: now do you see any correlation between my lyrics and Bad Companies"????????

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
How do you think Bobby felt.? He didn't make the title. Frickin Dion

Abraham, Martin And John
Dion DiMucci
Has anybody here seen my old friend Abraham,
Can you tell me where he's gone?
He freed a lotta people, but it seems the good die young
But I just looked around and he's gone.
Has anybody here seen my old friend John,
Has anybody here seen my old friend Martin,
Didn't you love the things they stood for?
Didn't they try to find some good for you and me?
And we'll be free,
Someday soon it's gonna be one day.
Has anybody here seen my old friend Bobby,
I thought I saw him walkin' up over the hill
With Abraham, Martin and John.

sloslunas

NM Blues
How do you think Bobby felt.? He didn't make the title. Frickin Dion

Abraham, Martin And John
Dion DiMucci
Has anybody here seen my old friend Abraham,
Has anybody here seen my old friend John,
Has anybody here seen my old friend Martin,
Didn't you love the things they stood for?
Didn't they try to find some good for you and me?
And we'll be free,
Someday soon it's gonna be one day.
Has anybody here seen my old friend Bobby,
I thought I saw him walkin' up over the hill
With Abraham, Martin and John.
Damn Kevin...you don't miss a lick do you. But, you are correct sir...

Steve

BigMike

Blues Oldie
I can see your point to a certain degree but if I can put the argument for the other side for what its worth.
They are both songs about a kid who learns to play guitar, goes out into the big bad world, falls into bad habits and comes home in a coffin. I would guess there must be a finite number of song lines that you can write to describe that experience.
Secondly, Bad Company really were one of the definitive super-groups of the mid to late 70's and were still touring until recently. Two members of Free, King Crimson's bassist and Mott the Hoople's guitarist. They had several hit singles and quite a few best selling albums, they were massive in Europe, not sure how successful they were in the States. Shooting Star was on their second album and was written by Paul Rogers, it was apparently about the deaths of Hendrix, Joplin and Morrison, who Rogers had probably met because Free were pretty big in the late 60's early 70's.
Not saying your wrong or right about the copyright just shedding a little light on the issue. Was your song on general release?

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Thanks for the understanding---but to bring attention to other things that have went that way:
In 1603---a English poet named Thomas Dekker wrote a one verse poem called "Golden Slumbers"----in 1885 W.J. Henderson put the verse to music----Renamed "Golden Slumbers Kiss your Eyes"----MacCarnty found the sheet music to it---and put the TWIST to it---"Carry that weight"--(Abby Road)--at the bottom on the album---the credits are. Lennon/ Macartney. There is no mention of Thomas Dekker-or W.J. Henderson.
But that's the way it goes---all it takes is that little tweak---and your home free----

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Thanks for the understanding---but to bring attention to other things that have went that way:
In 1603---a English poet named Thomas Dekker wrote a one verse poem called "Golden Slumbers"----in 1885 W.J. Henderson put the verse to music----Renamed "Golden Slumbers Kiss your Eyes"----MacCarnty found the sheet music to it---and put the TWIST to it---"Carry that weight"--(Abby Road)--at the bottom on the album---the credits are. Lennon/ Macartney. There is no mention of Thomas Dekker-or W.J. Henderson.
But that's the way it goes---all it takes is that little tweak---and your home free----
And the expiration of copyrights , then was life plus maybe 50 years, I think it's expanded now to 75 years