Something I'd like you to try

R

RayL

mike, can you video yourself and post it in other recordings for us? thanks.

Sunny, I'm not that great at it, but here's the link anyway: http://bluesguitarunleashed.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1282237743/0#0
Mmike ... nice job, man.  [smiley=thumbup.gif]

bob

Blues Newbie
WARNING
i may be wrong here but im sure that if you leave your guitar in the G tuning it can put a strain on the neck and you should get it adjusted

L

Lame_Pinkey

Open G will not place unneccessary strain on the neck.You are tuning 3 strings down a whole step ( 2 frets ) so that will not harm the neck.Many still think that leaving a guitar in open E ( as you raise 2 strings a whole step & 1 string a half step ) can cause strain even warping but this should not be so with guitars that have a truss rod in the neck.
If it did i be concerned about the quality of the guitar actually & not the tuning it was in.

LP

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Thanks Sunny. It's such a great sounding song particularly in the proper tuning. I hope it inspires folks to play it a lot and build up that thumb muscle.

Cynicure

Blues Newbie
Mike, I know you probably think 'Brown Sugar' is relatively simple (and I suppose I could probably work my way through it if I had the tab and open G tuning sorted) but it is probably a bit beyond the reach of real beginners who are most likely to have probs with barres...

On 'Silence is Golden is a great song which is not only great fun to play, but which really gives the barre chords a thorough working out using only the barre chords A, B, B7 and Eb

I think I found the chords and lyrics at Chordie.

[smiley=beer.gif]

Cynicure

Blues Newbie
Sorry, those chords should have been Ab, Bb, Bb7 and Eb...

Woulda hated to give anyone a 'bum steer'...

:)

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
By the way, the middle three strings (2,3,4) are the same in standard tuning as open G.

I play this song with every band I play with and I've never played it in open G. It doesn't sound noticeably different if you just leave the 1st and 5th strings out and play it with the middle strings.

In fact, most of the extra barred notes are duplicates of other notes.

I realize the intent to work on the barre, not play the song. But for those of you interested in playing the song, you don't have to change your tuning.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Griff, You make a good point about just using the three strings. An additional bonus is you get to work on muting strings doing it that way.

Griff

Staff member
WARNING
i may be wrong here but im sure that if you leave your guitar in the G tuning it can put a strain on the neck and you should get it adjusted
As LP said, it shouldn't be a problem if you're doing it for a while. If you leave your guitar in open G tuning, the neck may relax because the tension is a little less. Symptoms would be the action going too low and some notes fretting out. It's not a problem really, just an adjustment.

If you were going to leave a guitar in open G for a long time (more than a day or two) you might want to consider adjusting the truss rod - or better yet having someone else do it who knows what they are doing (as in my case.)

Same is true for open E... or even simply moving to heavier strings. The neck may bow slightly and need adjustment. It won't be "damage," just adjustment.

Alexander Blue

Surfers Rule !!!
Hey Mike,
   When I first started reading this thread I thought : "Totally cool" , something that may help me with my mortal enemy : Barre Chords ...
   Then I read : "Tune to an open G" ... I'm a beginner ... I have no idea of what that means or how to do it ... my point : another "what does that mean" on top of "how do you accomplish that" ? ... to hell with barre chords, but thanks for the tip  :)

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Hey Mike,
   When I first started reading this thread I thought : "Totally cool" , something that may help me with my mortal enemy : Barre Chords ...
   Then I read : "Tune to an open G" ... I'm a beginner ... I have no idea of what that means or how to do it ... my point : another "what does that mean" on top of "how do you accomplish that" ? ... to hell with barre chords, but thanks for the tip  :)

Really? Having me spell it out (Dead Guy Dead Guy Bad Dog-for Strings-654321)
And providing a link to a guy that SHOWS you how to do it doesn't work for you?
(Marty Schwartz has a pretty cool way to easily tune to G - Marty's Tuning Guide )

Send me a ticket. I'll come over and tune your guitar for you.   ;D

As I've said in other posts, you don't HAVE to learn Barre chords if all yo want to do is chill out and play a few songs. It HELPS to know how to play Barr chords though. Maybe it's like: You can have a blast on a boogie board, but is that really surfing?

Alexander Blue

Surfers Rule !!!
Hey Mike,

(Marty Schwartz has a pretty cool way to easily tune to G - Marty's Tuning Guide )

As I've said in other posts, you don't HAVE to learn Barre chords if all yo want to do is chill out and play a few songs. It HELPS to know how to play Barr chords though. Maybe it's like: You can have a blast on a boogie board, but is that really surfing?
Oh, I see ... all I had to do was learn some really cool Jive talk that you learned guitar guys know ... Dead guy dead guy beautiful dog ... had to change the "bad" part ...
   It's all becoming clear to me now ... I guess I'm not as STUPID as I thought I was when I read your reply ... thanks Mike !

Griff

Staff member
Hey Mike,

Oh, I see ... all I had to do was learn some really cool Jive talk that you learned guitar guys know ... Dead guy dead guy beautiful dog ... had to change the "bad" part ...
   It's all becoming clear to me now ... I guess I'm not as STUPID as I thought I was when I read your reply ... thanks Mike !
Tuning can be a real drag, especially when you're just getting started. If tuning to open G doesn't make sense after watching the video Mike posted, and it's something you'd really like to do. Just ask and we'll help you get there.

Barre chords are the nemesis of just about every beginning guitarist at some point. I don't know of a single student I've ever had that didn't curse them at some point. But don't give up on them, you'll be glad you learned them down the road.

Griff

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Hey Mike,

Hey AB, I hope you don't think I was calling you Stupid. I had never heard of Dead Guy Dead Guy Bad Dog either until  I did a search for "Open G Tuning". I thought it was a cool way to remember it (like the music staff "Every Good Boy Does Fine and FACE". Oh, and the request for a ticket to help tune was about where you live (my favorite place in the world), not tuning your guitar.

Alexander Blue

Surfers Rule !!!
No Mike ... I'm not accusing you at all ... after reading Griff's posts on Major & Minor I can pretty much put myself under the Stupid and never will get it heading   :)
        also: I would be more than happy to send you a ticket if my checking account gets anywhere above $ 0.00 ... (Thanks for your bitchin' economic genius O'Bama)   ;) ... like my Mammy used to say : "Boy ... if your gonna be poor you may as well live in paradise ... it's much better to live in a nice place when your poor than it is to live in a ghetto ... your still poor but your surroundings are much prettier."
                    Thanks Ma !!!  :)