Soloing using call and response .......

patb

Blues Junior
I came across a Griff Utube titled "Soloing using Call and response and conversing with the band". I really enjoyed it and found it very informative. This is the kind of thing I need .
Question; Do any of the courses go into this?
Thanks,
Pat

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Interestingly, I don't remember a course that specifically addresses call & response, the closest thing might be Trading Fours. It's the same concept but it adds another soloist as the "Call" and you as the response.

Chris_NC

Blues Newbie
Hey Pat - great call out on that older video from Griff. I had watched that a long time ago, but wasn't quite ready for it then. I just rewatched it after reading your post and man, that thing is like a gold mine chock-full of nuggets!

patb

Blues Junior
Sorry, I should have been more explicit. Griff talked about moving up the frets as the chords progress , playing double stops and big bends in building the solo to a climax and moving the band to intensify before moving back down to box 1.
Is this addressed in Blues Solo Construction Kit or How to Improvise Blues Solos?
Sorry for my lack of description but if you watch the video Griff is explicit in what he is doing.
Thanks
Pat

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Well, what he is doing there is letting the band play a "line" (4-count) and then answering that with his lead in the first part, call and response. Then he breaks into a more constant lead, but with one ear firmly anchored in what the band is doing and complimenting that as the band "opens up".

Just about every jam track has a "theme" to it, and you should try to match that theme with your lead.

patb

Blues Junior
Yeah, that works. Thank you.
I am playing this repeatedly and focusing on the band. Picking up the groove and chord changes. The band is changing as well. It's hard to hear it all at once.
Thanks to all that replied.