Soloing in A minor

George Mabry

Blues Newbie
I understand that I can solo over a track in the key of A major by using box 1 of the pentatonic scale at the 5th fret. But what about a track in the key of A minor? I tried using box 1 at the 5th but it doesn't sound right.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I understand that I can solo over a track in the key of A major by using box 1 of the pentatonic scale at the 5th fret. But what about a track in the key of A minor? I tried using box 1 at the 5th but it doesn't sound right.

Box 1 starting at the 5th fret will get you the minor pentatonic scale, which should work perfectly over a blues in either A major or A minor. Are you sure the track is really in A minor? If so, can you post a recording so we can hear what it sounds like, or a link to the backing track A video would be great to see what you are doing, but audio will work as well.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
They should both work, but they are going to sound very different. Elio's suggestions would be a big help to sort it out for you.

Jim_Schmidt

Blues Newbie
To state the obvious: are you sure you're using Box 1 of the minor pentatonic? If you were using the major pentatonic, that would explain your outcome: sounds good over major, bad over minor.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I tried using box 1 at the 5th but it doesn't sound right.
You would actually play Box 1 with your first finger at the 2nd fret (F#m= Relative minor of A Major) with your pinky on A at the 5th fret to play A Major pent.

Box 1 with your first finger on 5th fret A would give you Am, but would also be C Major (Relative Major) from your pinky.

1st finger on A = A minor (& C Major)
Pinky on A = A Major (& F#m) = Box 1 "shifted down" 3 frets from A to F#
The "infamous" 3 fret rule.:)

Every Box is both Major and its relative minor.

The chord you are playing over will be the determining factor, not the box.

If you play A minor Box 1 over an A7 or Am chord, it will sound minor (A minor).

If you play the exact same A minor Box 1 over a C or C7 chord, it will sound Major (C Major).

To sound A Major over an A7 or A Major chord you would move Box 1 down 3 frets to F# or play Box 2 from A.

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Wouldn't it seem more "logical" that A minor pentatonic Box 1 should sound "right" over a song that is actually in the Key of A minor and it would sound "wrong" over a song in the Key of A Major?

Keep in mind that a "Blues in A Minor" is in the Key of A minor, while a "Blues in A" isn't actually in the Key of A Major.

Key is the key word.:sneaky: