Solo #1

SunnyOne

Blues Newbie
Been working on it. Is my guitar supposed to "sound" like Griff's or does each guitar have its own unique sound. Will I make myself nuts because it doesn't have the same sound? I hope you understand what I mean.

My guitar is in tune. 

Would Griff's guitar sound better because he has a really nice guitar and I just have a beginner one??

Thanks.

E

ErikH

Don't ask this question. It leads to buying things, lots of things.

You do not have to sound like Griff. As long as you like the way your guitar sounds, you'll sound like you.

Would Griff's guitar sound better because he has a really nice guitar and I just have a beginner one??

That's some of it... You're going into dangerous waters.

Good luck,
Erik

Cyberthrasher_706

Blues Newbie
Don't worry about it. Griff's guitar is different, and he has different equipment he's using.

The main things you want to focus on is getting the length of your notes to sound the same and the bends. Other than that, slap enough gain on there (I'm pretty sure you have some on your amp) so it matches up close (not a clean sound) and have fun. If you dont' have gain, just crank up your volume until the speaker distorts.  :cool:

You won't match it exactly, but you'll sound similar enough that it won't throw you off when you're playing along.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Yep Sunny, it will be really really hard  (and nor necessarily) to match Griff's tone. Even if you had all the same equipment, you wouldn't necessarily have all the adjustments set exactly as he does, not to mention you don't have his fingers or years of skill. The only thing I'd add to Cyber's suggestion to "crank up your volume", is that you might want to put the amp in another room when you do. a gotta protect those little hairs in your ear canals. I didn't when I was young and at 59 I have ringing in my ears all the time.

560sdl

Blues Newbie
Yes, what you are looking for is that the notes are the same and that the timing is the same.

The exact tone is a life long search, but I think that goddess Gibson would get you closer  ;D ;D ;D (just kidding)

wgabree

Blues Newbie
Been working on it. Is my guitar supposed to "sound" like Griff's or does each guitar have its own unique sound. Will I make myself nuts because it doesn't have the same sound? I hope you understand what I mean.

My guitar is in tune. 

Thanks.
Hey Sunny - here's what Griff had to say on another thread about tone:

This is the everlasting debate - and I agree with Wayne that tone is really in the fingers and hands as much as the gear.

I have finally learned that it really doesn't matter what I play through, it sounds like me. I turn the knobs the way I want to hear it, and it always ends up various shades of the same thing.

I have thousands upon thousands of dollars worth of guitars and amps and pedals that all basically sound the same when I'm done with them. The trick now is to choose the few that I can't live without and get rid of the rest.

If you have a decent guitar and a decent amp and possibly a decent pedal, and you're unhappy with your tone... practice more, don't buy more.

John Suhr (the guy who made my guitar) has a great quote somewhere that I read - "practice cures most tone problems" or something similar.

It's the truth... believe me.
Griff

Bilco

Blues Newbie
Re: Guitar tone...

What was it that Johnny Winter said?  Something like: "A good player can take a 2X4 with strings, and make it talk."