Solo #1 : At Last (2 Years Later)

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I gave up on this course over 2 years ago. I moved on to Major/Minor Blues scales 'cause it seemed less daunting. Then I did 5 Easy & 5 More Easy Blues solos. Now I'm in the middle of Griff's February challenge. I'm doing pretty well there, so yesterday I decided to take a break and tackle this solo again.

This is the result. What a difference time and hard work can make.

I most sincerely thank all of you who have supported me and made positive comments to all of my posted solos from those previous courses, as well as to my posts on other forums.

https://www.4shared.com/mp3/gZGK5-5Wce/SBS_Solo_1.html

Peace

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
Paleo,
Too bad there isn't more activity down here in SBS.
I have recently admitted to myself that I am just a terrible student - I have no patience. Going through SBS, when I saw the every chord is one concept, and that resonated with me, I skipped right to solo 6.
In doing so, I skipped over a lot of good stuff in the first 5 solos I am sure - I really need to go back and go through them too. You have inspired me to do that - thanks!
I also need to revisit solo 6 after some technique improvement.
Tom

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
In doing so, I skipped over a lot of good stuff in the first 5 solos I am sure - I really need to go back and go through them too. You have inspired me to do that - thanks!

I'm also going back to BGU, which I gave up on after Solos 1 & 2. I just posted BGU Solo 3 yesterday.

The way I look at it, you learn things when you are ready for them, whether that's mentally, physically, emotionally, etc.
Trying to force yourself before you are ready will only lead to frustration.

For whatever reason I had to take a 2 year detour through Major/Minor, 5 Easy, 5 More Easy, Theory Made Easy, Pentatonic Mastery and half of Acoustic Blues before I was ready to go back and tackle SBS and even BGU, which I started over 3 years ago.

It would be nice if there was some kind of "scientific" progression that we could all go through in the same sequence that would lead to becoming "Masters".

But that's not how nature designed us or how life works in general.

I've had a 50 year on again/off again, love/hate relationship with the guitar.

Somehow it's all coming together at this moment in time. Mostly because I started with Griff.

As a younger person just thinking of putting in 3 years would seem out of the question. So you put off learning it.
50 years later, those 3 years don't seem so daunting.

If I only knew then...........

Thanks for the praise.

And it seems odd that I could "inspire" someone else, but I'll take it.

You're not a terrible student. You're just human.:sneaky:

Keep truckin'

Peace

Dick

Last edited:

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
100% agree - I could have written every word of that myself. Being "ready" is key.
I have also taken many detours, and there are lots of us here on BGU that have been on again / off again guitarists over long periods of time.
Life just seemed to get in the way too much for me - family, owning a business, etc - too many other higher priorities and demands on one's time.
After I retired, I decided to get semi-serious about it, and glad I did.
Ok, maybe I'm a human terrible student. :ROFLMAO:
Tom

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
That's funny. I'm not bemoaning the fact that it's a long journey - just that I am impatient about it.
I try to be satisfied with incremental progress, because I realize that's the only way it comes.
Tom

HotLks

Blues - it's in me and it's got to come out.
I like this solo a lot. You've chosen good tone for it and executed well.

I know what you said about BGU solos 1 & 2. After solo 2 I lost my way and didn't continue. For some reason I was not having fun anymore. The solos are not hard. I just lost interest. I've gone back to 52 Rhythm Fills & Variations and BBG for a while. Starting to feel better about playing again. I'm also trying to customize my practice schedule after reading Griff's Steve Vai 30 hour practice email. I have to find a schedule that keeps me engaged better.

Good work!

See you down the road! :thumbup:

Thatman

Playin' for the fun of it.
That was with out doubt a lovely piece, your guitar tone set up was a treat to listen to, you accompanied the backing track superbly and the balance of guitar to backing track volume was well matched. You have a distinct style of letting your notes drift which to me adds appeal to the solo even your note slides are well done. Keep on doing what your doing and Griff's course's will sound great but different and now I know that there are even greater targets for us students to aim for. (y)

(BW)

Better off with the Blues!
I'm also going back to BGU, which I gave up on after Solos 1 & 2. I just posted BGU Solo 3 yesterday.

The way I look at it, you learn things when you are ready for them, whether that's mentally, physically, emotionally, etc.
Trying to force yourself before you are ready will only lead to frustration.

For whatever reason I had to take a 2 year detour through Major/Minor, 5 Easy, 5 More Easy, Theory Made Easy, Pentatonic Mastery and half of Acoustic Blues before I was ready to go back and tackle SBS and even BGU, which I started over 3 years ago.

It would be nice if there was some kind of "scientific" progression that we could all go through in the same sequence that would lead to becoming "Masters".

But that's not how nature designed us or how life works in general.

I've had a 50 year on again/off again, love/hate relationship with the guitar.

Somehow it's all coming together at this moment in time. Mostly because I started with Griff.

As a younger person just thinking of putting in 3 years would seem out of the question. So you put off learning it.
50 years later, those 3 years don't seem so daunting.

If I only knew then...........

Thanks for the praise.

And it seems odd that I could "inspire" someone else, but I'll take it.

You're not a terrible student. You're just human.:sneaky:

Keep truckin'

Peace

Dick
I know I'm late in responding but I like what you wrote and feel it applies to many concepts of life. Thanks! Nice job on the solo BTW. You are in the 90th percentile of guitar players. That's gotta feel pretty good. The main thing though is to have fun. RAWK on!!