Soldering

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I've gotten wires soldered to lugs just fine, but I'm having trouble soldering the ground to the pot case or to the thick wire running between pots I thought soldering to the thick wire would be safer than trying to heat the pot high enough for soldering..
Any tips for soldering to pots or thin wire to thick wire?

Shodai

Blues Junior
Make sure the pot is clean. Most are not, and have some sort of residue on the case. Don't know of it's oil or some sort of lacquer to protect the metal. PITA when soldering.

I usually scuff the back of the pot with a little sand paper where I intend to solder. I also use flux, even if I'm using a flux core solder, to make sure the solder goes where it's supposed to.

The amount of heat needed to get the solder to flow and stick shouldn't harm your pots.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I'm wondering if flux goes bad over time.
I've got the paste type, but I'd had it for probably 40 years. The paste flux in the video looks like it's honey colored. Mine looks like used axle grease.
This just academic post. I've finished the job and it mostly working (See my other post in my Pickup Installation thread).

Shodai

Blues Junior
I still have some flux that my dad used when he was a kid in the 50s & 60s. It's a nice deep dark brown, and works just fine.

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
You can ruin a pot with too much heat. I know a guy who's done it several times.

You need an iron that has higher wattage than what you need for lugs. Sometimes I melt some solder with the tip, just to help it conduct the heat top the pot back.

I use my chop stick to hold it all down while the solder cools.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Do not use flux on electronic components! It is meant to be used on plumbing pipes, etc. But then, if you want to use flux, then do not let me stop you.

https://www.makerspaces.com/how-to-solder/

If you do not know how to solder electronic components, and you wish to learn, then experiment a bit first. Learn how to use a soldering iron, and make test connections before you attempt anything "serious"!

Tom

straightblues

Blues Junior
I use a screwdriver to scratch the back of the pot. I don't want to get the sand from the sand paper getting to the inside of my pots.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I use a screwdriver to scratch the back of the pot. I don't want to get the sand from the sand paper getting to the inside of my pots.
I was taught in radio-electronics class in high school to use an eraser (think Eberhard Faber) to rub up any lug (or back of the pot) and leads on components to remove any surface corrosion and slightly abrade the surface. Newly stripped wire shouldn't need it as it hasn't been exposed to the air for enough time to corrode.

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
I was taught in radio-electronics class in high school to use an eraser (think Eberhard Faber) to rub up any lug (or back of the pot) and leads on components to remove any surface corrosion and slightly abrade the surface. Newly stripped wire shouldn't need it as it hasn't been exposed to the air for enough time to corrode.
How many high schools have classes like that today I wonder? I took metals class and auto mechanics. Auto mechanics was probably the most useful class I took. Can't remember ever using algebra since high school. (n):sick:

Shodai

Blues Junior
Do not use flux on electronic components! It is meant to be used on plumbing pipes, etc. But then, if you want to use flux, then do not let me stop you.

https://www.makerspaces.com/how-to-solder/

If you do not know how to solder electronic components, and you wish to learn, then experiment a bit first. Learn how to use a soldering iron, and make test connections before you attempt anything "serious"!

Tom

Tom, I have nothing but respect for you. You have always given sage advice and I value the contributions you've made, and continue to make to this forum. But I'm at a loss as to why you would say not to ever use flux when soldering electronics.

I've been soldering since I was a kid, and weather it's a rosin core solder, or a flux free solder with a seperate flux, in some manner flux is always involved. Even the article you linked to indicates that there is a flux core in most modern solders.

Yes, flux for copper pipes is not the same,
And should not be used on electronics. But electronics soldering flux is meant for soldering electronics. It is produced, marketed, and sold for that purpose.

Perhaps I misunderstood your post, and you simply meant to say not to use plumbing flux on electronics. But it looks like you're saying no flux at all, and with most modern solder that's just impossible.

I mean no disrespect, just trying to understand.

Last edited: