SODER GUN AND SODER FOR GUITAR WORK

david moon

Attempting the Blues
I was also taught when wiring through-lugs, such as a pot or on a switch to make sure you had a good mechanical connection (such as a complete loop and crimped, before applying heat to the connection). It's not necessary, but if your wiring isn't moving around while you're soldering it, you're much less likely to leave a cold solder joint.

I was taught that also- good point.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
The only thing I could add to this would be; use thin solder. I use .022 diameter High Tech silver bearing RISIN CORE SOLDER from Radio Shack....the thinner the Diameter the less heat it takes to melt. They do make a thinner than .022 but found it melted almost to fast... Make for sure you clean the surface (fine sand paper-steel wool-) steel wool can get pretty messy; little hair like fibers all over the place...but it is good for cleaning the exterior of the solder wire. Oil from your hands can effect the flow of the solder. It does not take much solder.

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
My weller TC201 is really old but still beautifully, although Weller tips tend to corrode easily and need to be replaced over time.
With regard to fully looping wire in the pot log hole, I agree that it makes a better contact, but when you plan on undoing the work (maybe to replace pickups) I find that it makes unsoldering a pain.
To be honest, as pointed out on this thread, the hardest part about soldering is not having 3 hands, so you need to secure what you are working on.