So what's next on the CRGU platform?

Scotty R

Blues Newbie
I bought CRGU the day it came out. Got most of the way through and come back to it fairly regularly...
Glad I bought it!

Then Modes Unleashed came out. I bought it but it didn't land on me the way many of his other courses have. Maybe I'll try again next year and have a different result.

I know @Griff is thinking about a BGIAB for Classic Rock where he can teach us the songs we know and love, but that most likely won't get off the ground due to excessive licensing issues by the record companies.

So, where to next? I'd love to see this go further but not sure what we need or how else to move forward?
Maybe a transcribing course? What would you guys like to see?

What's next for me is continuing with courses that fit my 2018 learning objectives (posted in a different thread) and hopefully getting time to collaborate in the VJR this year.

I've found BGU, ABGU and the various solo courses helpful (5EBS, KBS, MMBS, solo construction kit).
I enjoyed the Building a Blues Song course more than i thought i would.
The SRM and other practice courses have been helpful to me (52 rhythm fills, CAGED unleashed, PTSM).
Someday i'll get around to completing the BGIAB and BGIAB2 courses i bought and never started, and the SWS course i bought but haven't started.

Learning SONGS in ABGU to play solo (without accompaniment) was probably one of my favorite RESULTS from any of these courses. Unfortunately there aren't many classic rock songs that can be played that way, otherwise Griff could just compose some new rock songs for us to learn. I think i'll stick to learning common blues songs that i can play with others at jams, and continue learning what helps me do that.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Well, as you know, I'm always open to suggestions :)

To be completely transparent, the licensing songs thing is a huge pain in the a$@, and at this point I'm just not sure I have the time or money to do it. It's not so much the performing the song, it's the printing or distribution of the written music. And I just don't have the heart to do a DVD with no TAB manual, it seems a waste.

That being said, I have a couple of ideas kicking around in the old noggin regarding "real" songs, or even some songs I compose specifically for study (that sound an awful lot like songs you already know :whistle:)

When I look at the things I do and the materials I create that seem to have the most direct impact, it's things like the challenges where focus comes into play. That's not a surprise, of course, because anything you focus on will improve - there's really no mystery there.

So, ideally, I think it would be cool to get away from "courses" in the way that I've done them in the past, and work more towards "challenges" where one month we work on a tune I've created for that month... and the next month a different tune, or a skill related to an upcoming tune. Possibly there could even be multiple options, something for beginners, something for more advanced players.

I don't know, but it's the end of the year and the start of a new year so I'm always thinking this time of year about how I want to improve your experience in the upcoming year.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
So, ideally, I think it would be cool to get away from "courses" in the way that I've done them in the past, and work more towards "challenges" where one month we work on a tune I've created for that month... and the next month a different tune, or a skill related to an upcoming tune. Possibly there could even be multiple options, something for beginners, something for more advanced players.

FWIW, as a n00b wrapping up his first year learning this stuff, this idea appeals to me. From day zero I've found—for me, personally—I learn the most when I have a goal, a "deliverable" that's more concrete and near-term than "finish this course." In this case it's generally I hear a song, want to learn that song, then set about obtaining the chops I need to play it passably well. Getting to the point I can do a play-through is the goal and the reward, and the stuff I learn to get there just the path.

I have BGU, and numerous other courses, and they're killer good—but it's the song-focused ones that tend to draw me in and engage me more readily (especially when my practice time is measured in fits and starts waiting for renders or video transcoding jobs to finish).

Just my 2 Pfennig wert. :Beer:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I find the challenges exciting. With all the people that get involved working toward a common goal there's a greater sense of camaraderie. I always go through a bit of "post-challenge depression" when it's over.:(