Slow In A Minor - Redux - Complete

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
This is a really nice track and thanks for posting it again.

One thing I discovered is that playing softly is harder than it seems.
Here's my contribution. I wish it was as good as some of the others I heard in the first version of this track, but I figured I have to start somewhere.

Recorded with my PRS, neck humbucker with some chorus and reverb.

It runs to 2:30.

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/whag5ywj8bj4qcx/SlowBackingInAMinorJP.mp3?dl=0

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
I wish it was as good as some of the others I heard in the first version of this track
Indeed it was!!!! Beautiful stuff JP!! I don't know what mode you added in to the mix, but it made for some beautiful sounds. Superb work sir. Well done.(y)(y)

Elwood

Blues
Very Nice Arty!:Beer: So, do you connect to your DAW (Audacity?) via your usb port on your amp? I am curious about your signal path as you obtain nice tones consistently :thumbup:and you mentioned variable usb out levels in another post.

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Indeed it was!!!! Beautiful stuff JP!! I don't know what mode you added in to the mix, but it made for some beautiful sounds. Superb work sir. Well done.(y)(y)

Thanks, MM.

As for modes, I generally play what I have come to refer to as my "Blues-Penta-Dorian" scale which as the name suggests is a combination of the Blues, minor Pentatonic and Dorian scales.

Although in this particular track, some of the Dorian flats don't fit (possibly Aeolian?), so I just eliminate them and go from there.

It's all just top-of-my-head stuff anyway and I know that my "BPD" scale will cover just about anything, so I just play what seems to fit.

I know I should learn more about modes and specific notes, but sometimes I think it will take some of the fun out of improvising. I'm sure that will change as time goes by, but for now the "exploring" is fun.

Elwood

Blues
I know I should learn more about modes and specific notes, but sometimes I think it will take some of the fun out of improvising
you're a brave man to say that here, I agree. (y) What ever you were doing I sure like it. Enough to try to sneak in behind you as seamlessly as I could manage, both in tone and melodic flow (I got lost real quick though :D).

artyman

Fareham UK
Very Nice Arty!:Beer: So, do you connect to your DAW (Audacity?) via your usb port on your amp? I am curious about your signal path as you obtain nice tones consistently :thumbup:and you mentioned variable usb out levels in another post.
Yes I just pick a patch on the Mustang hook it up to the PC via USB, fire up Audacity and off I go, not always successfully.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I just love what this track allows you to do. Youse guyz are just setting the place on fire, albeit slowly and smokily(?).
I had a couple of cups of coffee this morning and had a go at fooling around with Cubase. I like clean sounds a lot, but I like dirty, too. So I did a clean track, then dirtied it up and swept the dirt under the rug. I took it from Arty's pure serenity around 7:00 to about 10:15. Sorry to take so much, but I could play this track end-to end...
https://fuzzypinkstrap.com/VJR/2020/SlowInA-Redux-JP-Elwood-Arty-PapaR.mp3

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Oh yeah Papa!! Smooth playing sir.(y)
Thanks!
I was testing out my Flying V Shred that had been sitting, unplayed and unloved for a while. I love the way it plays, but never quite cared for the way it sounded. It has EMG 85 active pickups and it always sounded really metallic, with very little sustain. Yesterday, I decided to see if I could make it sound better, so I put on a new set of strings and proceeded to do a full setup on it. This isn't a fun guitar to set up, because it has a Kahler whammy bar, which is much closer to a Floyd Rose trem than any other type of vibrato/trem system. When I checked the pickup height, it was way too close to the strings (<1/16" clearance), so I backed it down to 3/32" clearance and plugged it in. It suddenly came alive like it has never sounded before. I've always read that active pickups don't tend to have a sweet spot like passive pickups do, but the difference was astounding. This guitar is going to get a lot more play time now!

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Thanks, MM.

As for modes, I generally play what I have come to refer to as my "Blues-Penta-Dorian" scale which as the name suggests is a combination of the Blues, minor Pentatonic and Dorian scales.

Although in this particular track, some of the Dorian flats don't fit (possibly Aeolian?), so I just eliminate them and go from there.

It's all just top-of-my-head stuff anyway and I know that my "BPD" scale will cover just about anything, so I just play what seems to fit.

I know I should learn more about modes and specific notes, but sometimes I think it will take some of the fun out of improvising. I'm sure that will change as time goes by, but for now the "exploring" is fun.
It's all about making it "your" sound, and it sounds good!

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I just love what this track allows you to do. Youse guyz are just setting the place on fire, albeit slowly and smokily(?).
I had a couple of cups of coffee this morning and had a go at fooling around with Cubase. I like clean sounds a lot, but I like dirty, too. So I did a clean track, then dirtied it up and swept the dirt under the rug. I took it from Arty's pure serenity around 7:00 to about 10:15. Sorry to take so much, but I could play this track end-to end...
https://fuzzypinkstrap.com/VJR/2020/SlowInA-Redux-JP-Elwood-Arty-PapaR.mp3
Nice dynamics