slide for guitar

SunnyOne

Blues Newbie
do u think it would be easier to do barres if one wears a finger slide (or w/e they call them) over the finger??? how do you take it off really fast if you don't need it anymore, or just exactly when does one use those things??

L

Lame_Pinky

To make a barre chord when using a slide you 1st need to tune the guitar to an open chord tuning.For instance open E will then give you the chords in the same progression is if you were playing barre chords in standard tuning ( F at 1st,G at 3rd ,A at 5th etc ) however, you cannot make barre chords with a 5th string root that easily its just not practicle.Playing any standard open chords (E,A,D etc) is also out of the question as they will not sound very good at all.So to sum up if playing in open E (for example) then using a slide you can make all the major 6th string root chords but thats about it.
Unless you want to spend at least another 6 months learning the new open chords for open E tuning ?

LP

wgabree

Blues Newbie
do u think it would be easier to do barres if one wears a finger slide (or w/e they call them) over the finger??? how do you take it off really fast if you don't need it anymore, or just exactly when does one use those things??

Sorry - slide will not be secret shortcut to play the barre chords more easily :p

As LP pointed out, you can use slide and open tuning to play a barre, but that's a whole new ballgame.

You could also just use the open tuning and just barre with the first finger.  But again, you'll then have to learn all new chord and scale patterns. :p

No escaping the barre chords!  :cool:

No worries, before you know it you'll be telling the story about the moment when you got barre chords working!

SunnyOne

Blues Newbie
ohhhh yeah, was trying to find an easier way to play those blankety blank barres...but i don't need any more complications! lol

i'll stick with learning them using my own fingers, thanks guys! LP and Wayne you guys could write a book with your shared knowledge! Play off of each other when answering questions...would be entertianing and iinformative!

bob

Blues Newbie
hey sunny
i remember saving this to my favs
and i dug it out for you
sorry to say there is no short cut to barre chords it will come to ya when you least expect

http://www.swivelslide.com/

M

MandyC

Hi Sunny

Weird you posted this because I was talking to Bob about slides today.
He has a 'Blues bottle', a pyrex slide moulded to look like a beer bottle neck.
As the others said, you have to retune the guitar. There's something called drop D tuning, I think.
No substitute for barre chords but it sounds really cool :cool:
Good for playing around with. :)

Was going to ask if anyone else plays with a slide.

Mandy

L

Lame_Pinky

This is the slide i just ordered ;

http://www.diamondbottlenecks.com/DB08/index.asp?n=26

nice color huh ?

LP

L

Lame_Pinky

Yes they are a bit but they are pure glass (Italian Lime-Soda no less ...whatever the heck that is  :-?) so yes they would be a bit more expensive that your usual over the counter slide.They are also about the thickness of 5 over the counter slides which in most cases are not even glass.

LP

G

Garymcm

LP
Do they guarantee it'll arrive in Aus in one piece (I've seen the guys at Aust Post unload the vans!!!).
Also, been playing around with slides a bit, but not too seriously, and wondering which finger do you use for the slide? (I've been using my pinky, but the slide I have isn't the right size, but I dont want to get used to other fingers as I would like to use them in chords and notes. I noticed that Kirk Lorange sells brass slides mainly for standard or dropped D tunings, have you seeen them (I know they sound differnt, but was curious).
Let us know how the thing arrives.

Cheers
Gary

L

Lame_Pinky

Hey Gaz I got it from W.A. [ at least I think they are in W.A. ] company is called  Reso -tone & they keep asmall selection of these slides.It arrived last Monday all in 1 piece.
http://www.resotone.com.au/

LP

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
Gary, I am a big slide fan. After Griff's courses I am going to learn slide next. I have watched a lot of slide players and they seem to fall into 2 groups. Those with the slide on the pinky and those with the slide on the forefinger. I looks to me like it will be easier to pick notes or finger chords with the slide on the forefinger.

L

Lame_Pinky

the forefinger which one is dat ? Most players use the pinky so they can grab chords when not sliding.a few use their ring finger, Duane Allman for ex. & some have used their middle finger.Using middle or ring will make it very difficult to form a chord or play a baseline shuffle (when using middle in an open tuning) best thing to do is to get a cheap slide or maybe 2 , 1 that fits middle & ring comfortably & 1 for your pinky and just go sliding over some strings to see what feels best for you - but remember it is only an early stage so it may not be the be all & end all.

LP

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
LP, the forefinger is the first finger. I have seen slide players using this technique. I can't think of who off the bat but will keep my eyes (and ears) out and post a link.

L

Lame_Pinky

Hmm not seen that , the reason for having either the middle,ring or pinky apart from being able to form chords is to have some fingers behind the slide lightly resting on the strings to dampen them otherwise you get a ringing sound from other strings as you slide.Roy Rogers does not place his fingers behind his slide , however he dampens with the fingers of his picking hand.

LP

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Generally I stick with the pinky for the slide for the same reasons LP mentioned. You'll need to do a lot of muting while playing slide.

I actually use a ceramic slide... don't know where I got it or how to replace it so I hope I don't lose it.

I want to do some slide stuff for you all, I've been listening to Sonny Landreth a lot lately. If you look him up on youtube, I think he's one of the all time greats at slide playing. Very musical.

Griff