Sitting Easy Blues comments so far...

Robb H

Blues Newbie
Good morning,

At the suggestion of others here when I signed up earlier last week, I started with this BBG course even though I've been "playing" for a couple years. I'm glad I did. I also wanted to concentrate on counting. I've been working on the Sitting Easy Blues for several days now. It's coming around but I still have difficulty playing, reading, and counting out loud. I don't seem to memorize very well either. Oh, and while I'm at it, my chord changing has always been slow (I'm also doing the Strumming course - slow with that too).

So I guess I really have no question here, just commenting.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I don't seem to memorize very well either
I hear you, amigo! In my experience, I memorize music faster when I'm not thinking about memorizing it. If I'm sitting there focused on memorizing a piece, I'll be there all night and still not get very far. If, instead, I play with intent to learn, but not think about memorizing, I can actually see/hear it begin to fall together.

Flip

Steady Rollin´Man
Hey Robb,
I picked up BBG for the same reason, I had been learning for a couple of years without realizing the importance of counting,and it is a challenge to read the time, the tab, and the count out loud. Sometimes I get confused with the tab notation and my counting and play the wrong notes. What worked for me was playing along with Griff to warm up, and then breaking the song down into measures,memorizing the chunks and counting in those chunks. Not earthbreaking, but I am slowly rewiring my 58 year old brain, so I can jam with other folks.
Good Luck and be well!

jammoore99

Blues Newbie
Keep at it. It will come when you least suspect it. Practice and repetition has a way of working those thing s out.

Clem

Blues Newbie
Good morning,

At the suggestion of others here when I signed up earlier last week, I started with this BBG course even though I've been "playing" for a couple years. I'm glad I did. I also wanted to concentrate on counting. I've been working on the Sitting Easy Blues for several days now. It's coming around but I still have difficulty playing, reading, and counting out loud. I don't seem to memorize very well either. Oh, and while I'm at it, my chord changing has always been slow (I'm also doing the Strumming course - slow with that too).

So I guess I really have no question here, just commenting.
Ha, I just posted a similar thread. OK, I don't feel so bad anymore, it has been very slow for me as well. I guess its a learning curve .

Robert F

Robert
thanks for helpful comments. I started on this tune yesterday and it's challenging to count, tap my foot and play a note all at the same time. I do find it simpler to play along with the counting version after making notes on the tab where the 1 and the uhs go. I can tell counting will be a crucial skill and I think it is something I do need to improve on. It is frustrating as it seems like I'm going back to the beginning, but I never really internalized this stuff, I thought it just happened after learning chords and songs. This song is in 3/4 or 4/4 time was all I thought I needed to know but now this stuff is not just getting the swing into it but allowing me to understand the music on the sheet instead of tab only.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
thanks for helpful comments. I started on this tune yesterday and it's challenging to count, tap my foot and play a note all at the same time. I do find it simpler to play along with the counting version after making notes on the tab where the 1 and the uhs go. I can tell counting will be a crucial skill and I think it is something I do need to improve on. It is frustrating as it seems like I'm going back to the beginning, but I never really internalized this stuff, I thought it just happened after learning chords and songs. This song is in 3/4 or 4/4 time was all I thought I needed to know but now this stuff is not just getting the swing into it but allowing me to understand the music on the sheet instead of tab only.

I may not have understood your comment "This song is in 3/4 or 4/4"... It's definitely in 4/4 but the little notation at the top is a "metric Modulation" which in this case is just a fancy way to say 4/4 in Swing Time.

Robert F

Robert
Thanks Mike S. I was not real clear in my post, but I was trying to say the time signature was the only thing I needed to know when learning any song. Now I am learning subdivisions are also important. It will take some time but I am sure it will help my timing.

TxStrat

Lovin’ the journey of life and the blues
I’ve been playing for years but decided to take on BBG to really focus on counting and timing and man do I feel like a rookie! Day 2 was better than day 1 though. I’m trusting that it’ll pay off in the long run and seeing as I’m a guitar hobbyist and not a professional I figure I have nothing but time.

Last edited:

Jim Laney

The Dabbler
I'm starting over with Beginning Blues Guitar V2. I'm wrestling with getting swing feel right. I've spent a week of 30-60 minute practice sessions and some aspects have improved but I'm still not entirely comfortable with the rhythm - Does the Practice generator take advantage of the newer versions of the courses?