Shure repair policy

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I have been thinking of buying a Shure SM57 for mic'ing one of amps and came across a non-working one on Reverb which I bought for $20. My thinking was that even my mediocre soldering skills would be sufficient to repair whatever broken wires I found. I easily fixed the one broken wire I found but it turned out that the capsule was also damaged, which is well-beyond my soldering skills. I could have replaced it with a $5 replacement capsule from China but decided to go for the real thing.

It turns out that Shure has a really good flat-fee service policy that allows you to return almost any broken product and get a brand new replacement. For an SM57, the, the cost was $60 (which includes shipping), which together with what I paid for mine, is still about $20 less than buying one new. I sent in the mic and then received a notice that the new one was shipped to me. I thought I might have misread something because I had not paid anything, so I called to ask about it. It turns out that the mic I had bought for $20 and sent in was still under warranty, so they sent me a brand new replacement at no charge.

What impressed me was that I had obviously opened it up and un-soldered and re-soldered several connections to see what another capsule sounded like. Despite the fact that I really wasn't that neat and clean putting it back together and that the prior owner had stripped the set screw for the XLR connector, they sent me a free brand new replacement with no questions asked.

So, as a heads-up for anyone having problems with a Shure product, check out their service and repair page for the flat-fee "repair" pricing -- which really consists of replacement with a new product. Had I not stumbled across someone mentioning that on a discussion forum, I wouldn't have known anything about it.

Last edited:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Wow!
Gotta support people like that.
Great news.

Whenever possible my purchase decisions are driven by a quest for quality products from reputable companies, glad to hear that Shure is one of them, I own several Shure mics.

John-G

The Long and Winding Road
I use them for the singers in bands I do sound for, as well as amp-mic'ing. They're great (y)

david moon

Attempting the Blues
I thought the only difference between a 57 and 58 was the 58 has a pop filter for vocals.

Good info about the warranty policy

david moon

Attempting the Blues
I might have asked this before- if I have a 35 year old SM58 that has not been abused (not dropped, not subjected to extreme sound pressure levels, not subject to temperature extremes) will it still meet its original specs?

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I thought the only difference between a 57 and 58 was the 58 has a pop filter for vocals.

Good info about the warranty policy

The ball filter is the only difference between the two, although the case is a little different. The big practical difference is that without the ball at the end, the SM57 has the capsule mounted much closer to the end of the microphone, making it effectively closer to an amp or instrument compared to an SM58, which is considered better for vocals since it can handle pops and proximity a little better.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I might have asked this before- if I have a 35 year old SM58 that has not been abused (not dropped, not subjected to extreme sound pressure levels, not subject to temperature extremes) will it still meet its original specs?

I know that mics with crystal elements can degrade over time and flat out break. Elements for vintage harp mics sometimes get bid up to ridiculous amounts on eBay due to the dwindling supply. From what I have read, I don't believe there is really degradation in dynamic mics like SMs. They are known for taking beatings and continuing to sound great. One of my sons is an audio engineering major, and I have been trying to get him to help me set up a side-by-side comparison of several mics to see how they actually compare. Once I do, I'll try and borrow a few different mics from some friends to see how they sound.