Miscellaneous Show us your Guitar,Amp,Pedalboard

steve o

Student Of The Blues
I look forward to seeing your gear. As Greatful Ed said, we couldn’t see the goods. Looking forward to it:)

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Coupla gear pix today. They have their own threads but I see this thread as a kind of documentary consolidating everyone's toys.

First is the latest incarnation of the Holey Board with the added ability to handle aux in for when I'm practicing with videos or backing tracks and have to keep it quiet. The TRIO+ supplies the phones out. I don't plan to use the RC3 as a looper since the TRIO+ already handles that. As just an avenue to get aux in it's hella overkill but I had it available so there it is.

holey board with rc3 looper 16sep2018 002.jpg

The other is the latest (and hopefully greatest and reasonably stable) incarnation of Corbie, my Memphis 339 and current favorite axe. Tried a Bigsby B7 that I didn't care for so went to the B5 instead.

339 with bigsby b5 16sep2018 001.jpg

Doug E.

Blues Newbie
In my quest for being in a happy place that doesn't rely on pedals, this morning I pared down the Holey Board to what I see as bare essentials for what I play:

View attachment 6113

In fact, all three are optional: the tuner could be replaced by a clip-on (which have come of age to be gig-worthy), I don't play any solos yet, and I've yet to use the drum/bass backing at an open mic.

I do intend to start adding some backing to my playing out (and the looper is useful for a solo act), and when I start some soloing stuff there's really only need for one "lead tone" and the Dude delivers that in abundance so stacking OD pedals is overkill (for me). I like a tuner that's powered so there's no chance of the little watch battery in the clip-on dying on me, and the buffer is a good thing to have because the TRIO+ is a digital pedal.
Love that amp too..!

Doug E.

Blues Newbie
After a recent NGD, I'm now the proud (and extremely happy) owner of three Tom Andersons. They are just wonderful instruments and slowly I've started selling off my other guitars. My first was the blue Cobra T in 2015 followed by the red Drop S last year and the Drop T a couple weeks ago. My pedalboard is now a Helix and my amps, well they are sort of just furniture at this point.

View attachment 5974
WOW..! Just Beautiful..! Congrats..!

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
My Romper Room upstairs. The Nace is downstairs in the Spincave by virtue of it not being amenable to quiet playing when The Lady is abed.playtoyz_23sep2018_v002.jpg

The Bias Mini is plugged into the Line6 DT25 cab, but that has a too-tall handle for comfortable perching so the Carvin cab is there for moral support.

When I need a work break I can do a 180 and pick my poison. :Beer:

Last edited:

D. R. Miller

Good News Blues
View attachment 6130
My new goto set up. Just put the Bigsby on my Epi Les Paul and am quite enjoying it. Love the new Quilter MicroPro Mach 2. In the past I was a confirmed tube amp guy, but now the Quilter has made me a believer [guess that's why my Nace Pro-18 is for sale]. Love the new amp and Livemaster effects.

That looks like a separate head and speaker cab instead of the combo, any reason you went that route? @Rancid, did you get the combo 12" speaker or the head and cab? Do these quilters do clean Fender sounds good?

CVTOT

Blues Newbie
That looks like a separate head and speaker cab

That is a true statement. I got the head and speaker cab setup. No particular reason, just like heads and cabs. My Nace is also a head and cab. As far as particular sounds, I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I can't tell and don't know the difference in sound between a Fender and a Marshall. I just play what sounds good to me, and I have gotten some really, really, nice sounds out of my Quilter.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
@Rancid, did you get the combo 12" speaker or the head and cab? Do these quilters do clean Fender sounds good?
Here is my rig.
IMG_1531.jpg

Yes, it can produce VERY convincing Fender tones ... Blackface or Tweed. I only run CLEAN amps, and rely on my pedals for all OD, so GREAT clean tones are ESSENTIAL to me. The Mach 2 is limited to 100W output, but internally it runs on 400 Watts for clean headroom you can't believe. It also does Vox and Marshall tones extremely well (clean and dirty). It handles pedals EXTREMELY well! I LOVE THIS AMP!!! The HD versions of the combo and ext. speaker are more expensive and the "HD" refers to the speakers in the cabinets. This rig cost me right at $1,800.00 with the two-button programmable foot switch, but I do not regret one dime of it!

For years "my tone" has been that of a Fender Twin. This rig nails it on the "Surf" setting. Never thought I would ever find anything I would like more than the sound of a Fender Twin. That ended when I tried the "Full-Q" setting on this amp! The "Full-Q" setting is what Pat Quilter thinks an amp should sound like. It is my favorite setting now!

Last edited:

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Can you explain that in more detail?
Nope. It is what Pat Quilter told me in an e-mail some time back. Just now sent him an email asking him to provide more detail. Here is his response:

Hello Jim

Typical loudspeakers have bass and treble impedance peaks, which limit the power drawn at those frequencies from normal voltage-limited amp outputs. Tube amps have some extra voltage swing due to series resistance, which adds losses but delivers a little more power into these peaks, for “bigger” sounding watts. Our 400 watt amp has even more voltage swing in reserve, so we can really bring out these frequencies, resulting in a fuller and brighter tone, without putting more midrange current into the speaker which could fry it. This is a big advantage for Class-D technology, whose efficiency allows us to provide this “overkill” without a major thermal impact. A conventional solid-state amp would get much hotter if designed for 400 watts but only operated at 100W maximum.

Best regards

Pat Quilter

Last edited:

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
My weapons of mass eardrum destruction for tonight's open mic. The Air Guitar is in the shop for some setup tweaks and a fret job, and I decided to give my favorite electric some love. Chimey, sweet clean tones will work just fine for some acoustic-y style songs and my caterwauling.

339 rig 25oct2018 001.jpg

Dewesq55

Blues Newbie
Coupla gear pix today. They have their own threads but I see this thread as a kind of documentary consolidating everyone's toys.

First is the latest incarnation of the Holey Board with the added ability to handle aux in for when I'm practicing with videos or backing tracks and have to keep it quiet. The TRIO+ supplies the phones out. I don't plan to use the RC3 as a looper since the TRIO+ already handles that. As just an avenue to get aux in it's hella overkill but I had it available so there it is.

View attachment 6154

The other is the latest (and hopefully greatest and reasonably stable) incarnation of Corbie, my Memphis 339 and current favorite axe. Tried a Bigsby B7 that I didn't care for so went to the B5 instead.

View attachment 6155
I'm late to this, but she's a real beauty!

Rick918

Blues Newbie
Trying this again......
Here is my gear and music room. The white squire was the guitar I selected to try and see if I would still be interested in playing after my 30 yr break. Picked up the little Marshall used. The Boss me-25 was a trade deal from a guy at work.

I told myself that I wouldn't buy anything else untill I stuck with playing for I year.

I made it 6 months and bought the Strat and Rolland Blues Cube.image-2018-11-05.jpg image-2018-11-05 (1).jpg

view
view

open

Last edited:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Introducing Flamingo One. I bought this guitar almost 7 years ago. it was completely covered in silver HVAC sealing tape (even the fretboard). It is by no means a showpiece, but I got the opportunity to play around with something with no downside while trying my hand at painting. I think I paid about $30 for this. The only things I bought new for this build were the pickup switch and the output jack. The neck is straight with a 14" radius fretboard. It feels great, but the pickups leave a little (a lot) to be desired.
flamingo1.jpg

Edit: After about an hour playing it, I've come to the conclusion that pickups aren't bad at all. I'm just very used to the brightness of my single coils and my MIM Strat with Duncan lipsticks on it, which are really bright, even for single coils. I still have to make a cover for the control cavity panel on the back and replace the strap buttons with black ones, but I'm happily surprised by this little experiment.

Last edited: