Show everyone some wood

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
My current project is a Danelectro inspired baritone and I had been wanting forever to try oak into a guitar build. So this fretboard is ebonized red oak. The ebonizing is done by wiping it with black tea, then a solution made from soaking steel wool in white vinegar for a week. It turns the oak black but not as strongly as if using stain.
I wanted a "light ebony" look and it sort of got what I wanted, but I don't think I'll use oak again. It's very open grain and didn't make clean holes for the fret markers, it sort of "crumbled" at the edges, but now I know.

The picture below was taken in very bright sun, it looks a little darker in person and the dark section at headstock not that dark, but it's currently taped up for painting the neck so I can't take a better picture.

IMG_20200322_163955.jpg

At least it's different and cheap and homemade :)

The neck is made from laminated leftover wood (maple poplar and red oak) and you can see the center strip is the natural color of the red oak, and you can see how open grain it is. It was a bad idea since I'm painting the neck cream and now I need to fill in the pores for the oak strip to blend it with the rest). Live and learn!

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
My current project is a Danelectro inspired baritone and I had been wanting forever to try oak into a guitar build. So this fretboard is ebonized red oak. The ebonizing is done by wiping it with black tea, then a solution made from soaking steel wool in white vinegar for a week. It turns the oak black but not as strongly as if using stain.
I wanted a "light ebony" look and it sort of got what I wanted, but I don't think I'll use oak again. It's very open grain and didn't make clean holes for the fret markers, it sort of "crumbled" at the edges, but now I know.

The picture below was taken in very bright sun, it looks a little darker in person and the dark section at headstock not that dark, but it's currently taped up for painting the neck so I can't take a better picture.

View attachment 12260

At least it's different and cheap and homemade :)

The neck is made from laminated leftover wood (maple poplar and red oak) and you can see the center strip is the natural color of the red oak, and you can see how open grain it is. It was a bad idea since I'm painting the neck cream and now I need to fill in the pores for the oak strip to blend it with the rest). Live and learn!

Could you have used the oak and just not put any fret markers? I have a guitar with no fret marker (except on the side). It's a very clean look and one of my favorite guitars.