Studio One Setting up an audio interface - Studio One specific

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I'm planning on doing a quick video on setting up the Monoprice interface I bought recently.
But right now I have some things going on at home that are eating most of my free time. I happened to run across this video from Joe Gilder, one of Presonus's online gurus. While it doesn't cover the process from taking the interface out of the box, it is a pretty good explanation of setting up an interface for Studio One, whether it is a Presonus interface or another manufacturer.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Good video.

Looking forward to your video. I am in the market for an audio interface. As if I do not have enough! :) Monoprice keeps reminding me that I viewed their interface! :cool:

For me, Studio One 5 Prime is all that I need in the way of software. The price is right (free), and it does everything I want to accomplish in the way of recording audio.

Comparing features of the Studio One software:

I have several thousand dollars invested in audio recording software and hardware. What I am looking for is something basic that is easy to use and reasonable quality. I am not trying to compete with professional recording studios. But it nice to be able to just fire up the rig and record without the need of a production company and staff. :eek:

Tom

patb

Blues Junior
I'm planning on doing a quick video on setting up the Monoprice interface I bought recently.
But right now I have some things going on at home that are eating most of my free time. I happened to run across this video from Joe Gilder, one of Presonus's online gurus. While it doesn't cover the process from taking the interface out of the box, it is a pretty good explanation of setting up an interface for Studio One, whether it is a Presonus interface or another manufacturer.

I started Joe Childer video, plugged the Interface in to the computer USB, powered up the interface and lost video sound ( using auxiliary speakers and tried the computer speaker alone) . Tried all four USB ports. No sound. ? Unplugged the interface and sound returns.
Thanks, Pat

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
I believe the interface replaces the sound card when it's plugged in. In Windows settings, go to your sound device settings and you can adjust to let your interface take over for the sound card and play all your PC audio. I'm not at my computer, so I can't be more specific, but I think your answer is there.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I started Joe Childer video, plugged the Interface in to the computer USB, powered up the interface and lost video sound ( using auxiliary speakers and tried the computer speaker alone) . Tried all four USB ports. No sound. ? Unplugged the interface and sound returns.
Thanks, Pat
Braylon is right on.
The interface is USB compliant, so when you plug it in, Windows connects to it.
To get back to your original computer audio, right click on the speaker icon in the lower right corner of your taskbar and select Sound settings.
If you don't have a speaker icon, click on the Windows button, select Settings and then select Sound.

Either of those exercises will take you to System > sound. You should see the Output section first with an indication of your computer audio (it's named different things on different manufacturers computers) and select it. You will probably also see your new interface. This should get you back to having sound on your computer and you can continue either with Joe Gilder's video.

Once you have it installed, you can then select either your computer or the new interface as your default sound device.

Here's how:
  • In the search box on the taskbar, type control panel, then select it from the results.
  • Select Hardware and Sound from the Control Panel, and then select Sound.
  • On the Playback tab, select and hold (or right-click) the listing for your audio device, select Set as Default Device, and then select OK.
After setting this, Windows should not change audio devices unless you specifically select it.
Hope that helps.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Good video.

Looking forward to your video. I am in the market for an audio interface. As if I do not have enough! :) Monoprice keeps reminding me that I viewed their interface! :cool:

For me, Studio One 5 Prime is all that I need in the way of software. The price is right (free), and it does everything I want to accomplish in the way of recording audio.

Comparing features of the Studio One software:

I have several thousand dollars invested in audio recording software and hardware. What I am looking for is something basic that is easy to use and reasonable quality. I am not trying to compete with professional recording studios. But it nice to be able to just fire up the rig and record without the need of a production company and staff. :eek:

Tom
Hey Tom,
I think you're shopping at a good time.
There are so many high quality interfaces out there right now designed for home studios, it would be hard to pick one.
Don't overlook Audient and the new United Audio stuff.