Say what you want about the South

TimeZero

Blues Newbie
Het Tayport,

My wife, and most of my in-laws, have lived in suburbs of Detroit for generations! Are you anywhere near Livonia or Northville or the towns surrounding it? We go there usually 2-3 times a year and if you're close enough, maybe next visit we could do some jammin'~ :)

Jim

I'm in the Ann Arbor area, which is sort of a hop, skip, and a jump to Northville (where my MIL lives). Always happy to have company out here. It's kinda like my life mission to introduce people to Zingerman's and Frita Batidos.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
It's not "You All", it's y'all, or the plural all of y'all.
While in the Air Force, I got to travel a good deal. Also, we had people from all over the United States. The period of time I am referring to is from 1960-67. What I noticed was how Southerners from different areas spoke. There were some key words as well as pronunciation differences.

One word I remember was “you all”. There were several ways it was pronounced. If you were from Raleigh, North Carolina, it was pronounced “chaall”. There were many Southerners I could not understand. Something I noticed during the 1990's was people being interviewed on television from the South. The accents were not as pronounced as they were in the 60's. I attribute that to people who watch television.

Another thing the Southerners liked to do was to get into a circle of chairs and tell little stories and exchange short expressions. One of the expressions I remember was in reference to how hard it was raining, “Well, it was a like a cow a pissing on a flat rock”! Be sure to say it slowly and with an accent like Chester on Gunsmoke. :cry:

Tom

Fingerlick

The Thrill is Gone
I was born and raised in Central Illinois but grits were on the table every morning for breakfast. None of my family are from the south but grits were always there. That with eggs, a mountain of bacon, sausage patties or sometimes sausage gravy and biscuits. Yes, all of that every morning of the week along with toast, cereal with fresh cream, (my grandmother owned a dairy farm) orange juice and coffee for the adults. Enough colestoral to plug the arteries of a horse. However, none of my family has ever had heart trouble. Well, my mother did but while she cooked all if it she never ate that big breakfast, just toast and very strong coffee.
Thinking of OG_BLUES post on lukefist, a Norwegian and Swedish fish concoction reminded me of the national condiment in Vietnam. It's called "Nouak Mam". It is fermented fish sauce. The Vietnamese use this instead of the soy sauce used by other Asians. It is a very potent condiment. Not alcohol potent as the alcohol has evaporated by the time it is consumed. Odor potent, as it smells like the rotten fish from which it is made, it is also very flaver potent. Here's how they make it:
In a huge ten foot diameter by twelve foot tall wooden vat they put a layer of anchovies, then a layer of rock salt. The layers are about a foot thick when made in the big vats. The fish and rock salt are layered all the way to the top and then a cover is placed on it to seal the vat. This is allowed to set in the hot sun, (Vietnam Temps were often 105-110 degrees.) The anchovies, of course, break down and liquify and then ferment. The salt also breaks down in the liquid and it and the alcohol preserves the product. This process takes many weeks and it is finished when the fermentation ceases and the bubbles0 stop rising. The Nouak Mam is now finished and the most desired product is the first drawn liquid. There is a spigot at the bottom of the vat that is used to draw off the Nouak Mam. The Vietnamese douse all their food with it. I heard a man say one time he liked it so much his teeth ached just thinking about it. The odor is very high and offensive to the western nose. As you can imagine it is also very high in sodium. Ya'll are going to think I'm crazy but I actually grew to like Nouak Mam and I keep a bottle in the fridge for when we have rice and stir fry. My family always bunch up at the far end of the table when I open the bottle.
Dale

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Dale; I never knew what the name of that stuff was and never ate it...but I still remember that smell...(WHOA) ...it seemed like everytime we got close to a Hamlet you could smell it long before you got there---you didn't need no compass just follow your nose. I am not sure but I think I would go for it,if it ,came down to Nouak Mam or the Lutefish.. or maybe I could mix them together....OhI sure hope it never comes down to that. , I think I' need to start A grit garden next spring).

Last edited:

Pete R

Blues Newbie
I'm originally a southern boy - but have been trapped behind enemy lines up here in Yankee land for more than 20 years now...

When the day comes that I completely retire, I will definitely be moving south - probably about an hour outside of Nashville...

In the meantime, tell my kids repeatedly that if I meet an untimely end - be damned sure not to bury me except back home in the Kentucky hills! :)

Kevin
Hey, Memphis is only three hours outside of Nashville! Come on down!

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
You think grits sound bad???
I've got one word for you -

lutefisk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutefisk

It's hard to imagine what inspired the first person to think this up, much less think it's good - or be the first person to try eating it. :confused:
Well OG, you must be familiar with the Olsen Fish Co. right there in Minneapolis. I worked there for a week once and it took a couple weeks for the smell to wear off my leather tool pouch. My wife likes the pickled herring however. :unsure:

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Today I did a little research on the PC, 3 different sights (25 votes)....and here was the break down....Florida came in 1st; South Carolina came in 2nd
Texas & Arizona tied for 3rd...(Prescott, Az. was one of them) that is where I live. Actually it is Prescott Valley. Pretty much SAMES/SAME>
All the rest came in with one vote. I didn't really know what to do.
with Glendale California or Tulsa Oklahoma????pretty much border line.
The most AMAZING one was West Des Moines, Iowa. (I think, just maybe, that guy has some property for sale there. Ya know what I mean). :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:
Portland, Maine was in the top 25 (on my wife & I's bucket list). Pocotello, Idaho, and Spokane, Washington.... were in there also...
So the final count 18 out of 23 PREFER THE SOUTH>:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Last edited: