Say what you want about the South

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
I do a lot of grocery shopping and have since I was 8 years old. I must say that I have never seen Grits sold in the San Francisco Bay Area, and today, I live in the South Bay. If Grits were to be found anywhere in my area I would think this would be the place! :)

As for Quaker Oats, that product is similar to chipped cardboard. If you like real oatmeal, then try McCann Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal. It has flavor and texture. :)

TomMcCann Oatmeal.jpg

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
How Grits are created

First, you start with corn. Add the corn to a solution of lye and water. Grind what is left, and boil until the hogs come home. :whistle:

Now it does not sound very healthy to eat something prepared in lye. But then tradition is more important than ones health. :sick:

There is a story that the South lost the war, because the Southern soldiers stopped so often to prepare grits. It took a good deal of time to wait until the grits were ready, and thus over time the war was lost. :(

Tom

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Tom; I sure would prefer QUAKER OATS 5 min. GRITS over '"STEEL CUT oatmeal" any day. Just that label makes my heart bleed just thinking about it. And the cured in LYE thing is what they do to olives.. (I think). ;););)

kestrou

Blooze Noobie
Am on a Griswold Family Vacation in an RV with my kids this week and just drove through The South to get to Florida.

Got here to Orlando and I'm not in The South any more! :)

Kevin

jimsig

Me at BGU-Live 2016 in Sumner, WA on 5-13-2016
Am on a Griswold Family Vacation in an RV with my kids this week and just drove through The South to get to Florida.

Kevin

Hey Kevin,

If Florida is not considered the South, nor the North, nor the MidWest, nor the West (all of which includes those sections North, East, Mid, West, or South as applicable - like NorthEast, MidWest, PacificNorthWest (PNW)) then what part of this here country is it in? Yeah, it's on the East Coast, but not the "SouthEast" (since it's not in the South :) ). Well I guess it could be just FLORIDA - a section of the country made up of just one state and apart from all the other multi-state sections mentioned above... What say you on this most important of all questions! ;) Don't answer until after you had a good number of pints and are able to plumb the depth of such a heavy philosophical question... :Beer::Beer::Beer:

Jim

giayank

Just another day in paradise
well I remember way back when i rode my norton across country and didn't go farther south than penn. I'm not sure they wanted a northern hippie down there any more than I wanted to be their. Rode across canada and the US I agree good people everywhere.. Cowboy I lived in Maine some maniacs liked me some didn't same as everywhere else LOL. You can see from my screen name I'm a yankee through and through and proud to be one. I'm not saying I'm better . I'm just saying proud to be who I am. to get back to the jokes " I always thought the difference between southern girls and northern girls was northern girls say you can have me southern girls say you'all can have me.
The answer to the trick question " is florida part of the south " the answer is yes. and as for people moving up north to retired. My brother in law moved up north from florida to virginia to retire. Lmao.

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
well I remember way back when i rode my norton across country ................. and as for people moving up north to retired. My brother in law moved up north from florida to virginia to retire. Lmao.
giyank - my wife and I eloped and took our honeymoon trip on a '71 Norton 750 in 1972 - a great bike as long as you could keep the valves properly adjusted, which usually lasted a few days.
As far a people moving from FL to VA - I lived in NC and VA for 10 years, and especially in VA, there were lots of people that moved there from FL - but they were originally from NY. They are such a large group they have become known as "half backs". Those NY'ers couldn't stand the heat in FL so moved half way back North to VA to a slightly milder climate.
Tom

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
How Grits are created
First, you start with corn. Add the corn to a solution of lye and water. Grind what is left, and boil until the hogs come home. :whistle:
Now it does not sound very healthy to eat something prepared in lye. But then tradition is more important than ones health. :sick:
Tom
You think grits sound bad???
I've got one word for you -

lutefisk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutefisk

It's hard to imagine what inspired the first person to think this up, much less think it's good - or be the first person to try eating it. :confused:

giayank

Just another day in paradise
giyank - my wife and I eloped and took our honeymoon trip on a '71 Norton 750 in 1972 - a great bike as long as you could keep the valves properly adjusted, which usually lasted a few days.
As far a people moving from FL to VA - I lived in NC and VA for 10 years, and especially in VA, there were lots of people that moved there from FL - but they were originally from NY. They are such a large group they have become known as "half backs". Those NY'ers couldn't stand the heat in FL so moved half way back North to VA to a slightly milder climate.
Tom
Mine was bright yellow 750 as well . Bought it as a fixer upper and always had electrical issues with it but what a blast to ride. Sold it to get a triumph 750 trident. Same Lucas electrics but a nice touring bike for its day. Always loved those English bikes. Wasn't a hog rider yet and the Japanese bikes didn't float my boat at the time. My time frame was late sixties to mid seventies as well. Bings back some happy memories.

Tayport

Blues Newbie
I moved to Michigan in the suburbs of Detroit 35 years ago from Scotland. Spring and Fall can be wonderful and our summers are usually glorious. Winter is a different story, that is when I want to move South :) it lasts too long. Inspiration for the Blues!!

kestrou

Blooze Noobie
Hey Kevin,

If Florida is not considered the South, nor the North, nor the MidWest, nor the West (all of which includes those sections North, East, Mid, West, or South as applicable - like NorthEast, MidWest, PacificNorthWest (PNW)) then what part of this here country is it in? Yeah, it's on the East Coast, but not the "SouthEast" (since it's not in the South :) ). Well I guess it could be just FLORIDA - a section of the country made up of just one state and apart from all the other multi-state sections mentioned above... What say you on this most important of all questions! ;) Don't answer until after you had a good number of pints and are able to plumb the depth of such a heavy philosophical question... :Beer::Beer::Beer:

Jim

Florida is very clearly in The North now. It's some kind of Bermuda Triangle "Latitude Inversion" where when you pass below the 30th parallel heading south, you're somehow transport to the 40th parallel and heading north.

Darnedest thing I've ever seen... Rumor has it the phenomena appeared intermittently about 40 years ago and has been gaining strength ever since - kind of a positive feedback loop kind of thing - there's even Canadians in abundance down here now! :)

Kevin

Last edited:

jimsig

Me at BGU-Live 2016 in Sumner, WA on 5-13-2016
I moved to Michigan in the suburbs of Detroit 35 years ago from Scotland. Spring and Fall can be wonderful and our summers are usually glorious. Winter is a different story, that is when I want to move South :) it lasts too long. Inspiration for the Blues!!

Het Tayport,

My wife, and most of my in-laws, have lived in suburbs of Detroit for generations! Are you anywhere near Livonia or Northville or the towns surrounding it? We go there usually 2-3 times a year and if you're close enough, maybe next visit we could do some jammin'~ :)

Jim

Tayport

Blues Newbie
Het Tayport,

My wife, and most of my in-laws, have lived in suburbs of Detroit for generations! Are you anywhere near Livonia or Northville or the towns surrounding it? We go there usually 2-3 times a year and if you're close enough, maybe next visit we could do some jammin'~ :)

Jim

Hi Jim,

No, I am in Troy which is north and more central. I was in Northville not too long ago for a retirement party. Problem is right now we have major freeways shut down for reconstruction etc. The running joke is that the orange barrel is Michigan's state symbol lol! If you are in town let me know.

Steve

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Ain't nothing offends me....You All say what you want. A friend that moved to Canada 9 yrs. ago E-MAILED it to me.
And when it is 105% out; I gotta entertain my self someway....The forum is an easy way out.... By the way that was only A 3 beerer.:):):)
It's not "You All", it's y'all, or the plural all of y'all.

Fingerlick

The Thrill is Gone
Mine was bright yellow 750 as well . Bought it as a fixer upper and always had electrical issues with it but what a blast to ride. Sold it to get a triumph 750 trident. Same Lucas electrics but a nice touring bike for its day. Always loved those English bikes. Wasn't a hog rider yet and the Japanese bikes didn't float my boat at the time. My time frame was late sixties to mid seventies as well. Bings back some happy memories.

You'r in good company on the Triumph bikes giayank. The Triumph was Steve McQueen's favorite ride. In the bike scenes in The Great Escape he used Triumphs tricked down to resemble German bikes, (not very). McQueen did all the scenes himself except for the big jump over the fence. He attempted it but crashed and his minders said he was too valuable to lose in a bike smash-up. His bike mechanic whom he took to Germany for the filming actually made the jump we see in the movie.
Dale

Fingerlick

The Thrill is Gone

Kevin

Hope your having fun with your family Kevin. Tell Emily hey.
Dale

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
To me, grits are one of the true joys of living in the south. I prefer it to just about anything for breakfast...
Got that right. Whenever I can, b-fast is an egg, a piece of ham, and cheese grits.

Jalapeño - I was just about to post that no real southerner uses instant grits! :)n
There are list of things when I was growing up that my mom used to say that all started with "no self respecting southerner ever..." Among other things, they were:
1. Drinks Pepsi when there's a Coke around (although everything is called a "coke")
2. Eats whop biscuits when there's flour in the house (whop biscuits = those canned biscuits that you whop on the edge of the counter to open)
3. Would even have Quick Grits in their pantry

There's a restaurant here in FW (Buttons - if you're ever in the area, you MUST eat there) makes these jalapeno cheese grits that are nothing short of a work of art. Imagine my surprise and horror when I heard the chef tell someone once that he uses quick grits because of the massive amounts of them he has to have cooked in short periods of time.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I've lived practically my whole life in TX. Born here. Spent part of my early childhood in south GA. Then moved back. Spent a short time right out of high school in Chicago. Loved the city. Hated the winters. Moved back to TX. Been here ever since.

Back after I graduated high school, I still had an accent that couldn't be missed. It was part TX, part south GA, and part just really messed up. Over the course of my adult life I've lost most of it. Mrs Snarf says that it's still noticeable, but, in my head, it's not. I still say a few things. Anything with a hard "i" is usually (but not always) pronounced closer to "ah" than "eye". The word "on" is pronounced "own" and not "ahn" like they would say it up north. Things like that. But there are times that I'm reminded that I still have enough of one (I guess) that, to those not from around here, it's pretty evident.

Mrs Snarf's dad and his g/f flew into town from the Northeast yesterday for a visit. I took off work and met them at a restaurant when they got off the plane. I launched into one of my less than entertaining stories about something, got about a sentence into it, and the g/f busted out laughing and wouldn't stop until I quit talking. She then apologized and said that my accent was "just so foreign." I looked at Mrs Snarf and said, "if she thinks my accent is thick, just wait til she sees your brother-in-law in the sticks of Louisiana this weekend." Her BIL's accent is part southern, part cajun, and even I have trouble understanding him sometimes.