Say what you want about the South

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
I have visited a lot of countries and spent months in some of them. It usually is a good idea to blend in with the locals. It saves you a lot of hassle. This obviously doesn't work in China when you're blond and 6 foot 5" tall ...
My dad spent two years in China, Shanghai to be exact. 1938-40. Dad was 6' 1/2", blonde, and easily observed by the locals. You see, dad was a U.S. Marine. :)

Tom

Silicon Valley Tom

By the way, how could this thread about the South, go on for this long and no one has mentioned GRITS? :(

The Air Force served GRITS three meals a day. Every restaurant I ate at in the South served GRITS! GRITS to the right of me, GRITS to the left of me - everywhere I went I was surrounded by GRITS! To this day I cannot eat GRITS! :)

Tom

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member
The events of the last few days are very upsetting. We have a long way to go to heal this nation. The media does not help by saturating the news with events and information that is constantly changed. I pray that things will improve for our nation and the world.

Tom, I tend to agree. Per Griff's rules, this is, and needs to remain a venue that supports Music and in particular the Blues form of music. The Lounge exists for members to express opinions about other things that we all endure daily. As long as we keep Race, Religion, Sexual preference out of the conversations, then all is good.

The events over the past week have been traumatic for most of us. We all have ideas as to the cause and effects of our beliefs but none of them offer a solution to the problem.

We can all agree to deal with it as it arises but none of us have the ultimate solution.

We can not agree on a solution ( For whatever reason) for the problems we are experiencing right now, and nothing we do here will do anything other than disrupt the tranquility we are trying to achieve.

We need to keep this forum about the music! Everything else will hopefully fall in line.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
To this day I cannot eat GRITS!

To me, grits are one of the true joys of living in the south. I prefer it to just about anything for breakfast (except maybe a jelly doughnut every now and then). Just a little butter and I'm good. I also love shrimp and grits, made with peppers and onions. Any time grits are on the menu as a choice of sides, grits will always replace any potato dish and any one of several green vegetables.

sloslunas

NM Blues
So my relocation from 55 years in NY to Southeast NC has been a bit of an adjustment. I understand that no matter how long I live here I will always be a "Damm Yankee". I got some interesting looks when I moved down here with my snow tires.

A lot of people down here speak English. There are other natives here that speak some unknown language we call Mumbles. Apparently it doesn't require much use of the lips, tounge or vocal chords. Somehow they manage to understand each other and a lot of the folks down here are bi-lingual, they speak English and Mumbles. It's good to have a translator nearby. When I first moved here I ordered two double cheeseburgers in Hardees. The guy behind the counter said "wannablabumbashabasha". I said what? He says "wannablabumbashabasha". I looked at the guy next to me who apparently speaks Mumbles, and he's laughing his ass off. He says "He wants to know if you want fries with that"? 3 years later, it is frightening, sometimes we understand it.

But by far the best indoctronation I had to Southern living was before we moved down here and were rehabbing the house. I would drive down on Friday do some work over the weekend and wait till Monday to meet with a subcontractor, because if you think you are going to see one of those guys on a weekend, all I can says is "wannablabumbashabasha" or "fuget about et" as they say in Jersey. So I would tell them I have a 12 hour drive back north and have to go to work Tues morning, what is the earliest you can get here?

So this one guy tells me "I be dere firs din Monay mawning". I have coffee ready for him at 7:00. 8 oclock, 9 oclock, 10 oclock, all come and go, and 11:15 here he comes shuffling through the door. I am fit to be tied, thinking of the 12 hour drive back now with traffic. "You said you would be here first thing Monday morning" I protest. He looks at me taken a back a little, like what the heck did I do wrong? Then he nods at the clock on the stove which now shows 11:17 and proudly proclaims "Yep is still Monay mawning, and dis is de firs thin Im doin"!

All I could think was, Welcome to the south Damm Yankee.
I don't care where you are from...I've known you for years and still can't understand a word you said??

Steve

Silicon Valley Tom

To me, grits are one of the true joys of living in the south. I prefer it to just about anything for breakfast (except maybe a jelly doughnut every now and then). Just a little butter and I'm good. I also love shrimp and grits, made with peppers and onions. Any time grits are on the menu as a choice of sides, grits will always replace any potato dish and any one of several green vegetables.
I will gladly join you for a jelly doughnut! I have not had one of those in many years. :)

Tom

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
I like my tea also. But considering the glass of water was not hot, I think we were served A JOKE...And my wife and I both laughed about it once we got to our car.....Gotta have a sense of humor to live life at it's fullest....I would much rather laugh at the bad hands life deals me, than
dwell on them and let it ruin my day-week-month. I am also very lucky to be able to speak several languages, English; Southern English; Yankee English, Midwest English, Southwest English, EBONICS, and several other slangs.:):):). P.S. I am A grit man too. It is totally un-American to not have grits on the menu. (IMOP)

Last edited:

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member
I also love shrimp and grits,

Oh man! To die for!! I love Grits! This far north of the Mason Dixon, my house probably has the best grits around. When it comes to Shrimp and Grits, the best I ever had were at a cove restaurant in Pleasant a Grove, just over the bridge from Charleston on Sullivan Island at a restaurant called Vickery's.

I can eat myself sick there! Simply Awesome!

jimsig

Me at BGU-Live 2016 in Sumner, WA on 5-13-2016
Heck, if you want the South........move to the middle of Pennsylvania.......derisively known as Pennsyltucky.....by definition, Pennsyltucky is Pittsburgh to the West and Philly to the East........with Alabama in the middle.

Yep, Bible Belt, NASCAR, etc.

My wife and I have to drive through the entire length of Pennsylvania (on Rt. 80) when we go to visit her family in Michigan. We have come to call the middle 1/3 of Pennsylvania "The VOID". There is NOTHING there (at least not to be seen from Rt. 80) except for a few truck stops. We tend to loose any radio stations we had prior to entering The Void, and pick them up again at the western 1/3 of the state. Nowhere to eat or stay or gas-up... we make sure we stop before the void, get filled up with gas, eat, go to restrooms if necessary, and then if Mary is driving, I spend what seems like FOREVER (in The void) watching a movie or listening to music that I already have on my computer (as there are no spots where we can pick up a Wi-Fi connection as we can here in NJ from Optimum). I swear driving through The Void seems to take as long as the whole rest of the trip, even though it's probably 1/4 or less of the entire trip.

BTW, my wife's parents just sold the condo they had in Florida (where they usually spent the winter) and decided to stay put way up north in Michigan with the rest of her family year-round. So, some people do retire and move North! :Beer:

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Arty; Please tell me they sell GRITS in the U.K. You may have to look for them, but here in the U.S. you can buy A 24oz. can of "QUAKER OATS QUICK 5 MINUTE grits at any grocery store. Follow the MICROWAVE instructions and enjoy. Great with Bacon & eggs for breakfast,
Seafood like PAPA said....you can also make GRIT FRITTERS where you make your grits then fry them in patties. If you can not find any let me know I will mail you A box. And that's the truth. BCB

jimsig

Me at BGU-Live 2016 in Sumner, WA on 5-13-2016
say what you want about the North...

but I ain't a Northerner, I'm a Mainer...ayah...up here we have wintah, lobstah, and mud season...

three things I've observed in my travels: 1) great people everywhere, 2) tons of neat places everywhere to visit and 3) ain't no major intersection without a Mickey D's (go figure)...

btw, love the humor in this thread and fun to laugh at ourselves...later.

cowboy

I consider myself a Mainer as well. Although I was raised in and ended up back in NJ, I went to college in Maine (Colby) in 1970-74, and lived in Maine (Waterville, Portland, Orono) for most of the rest of the 70's. Every time we have one of those horrid hot, humid periods here in Joisey, I yearn to move back up to Maine - with it's beautiful clear blue skies in the summer (and actually all year 'round except for when it's cloudy... :D ) and the gorgeous twilights and sky full of stars at night - something never seen as close to NYC as I live now. And my yearning for returning to Maine is happening more and more lately, even when the weather is tolerable here. But we never get the crystal clear blue skies during the day and sky full of stars at night. And I even really loved the snow up in Maine - something we're getting less and less of down here in NJ....:rolleyes:

And I agree - if we can't laugh at and between ourselves, then our lives are pretty empty! It's all good-natured fun!! (y)(y)(y)

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Jalapeno; that was great...I had totally forgotten those lines out of that movie "MY COUSIN VINNEY" We watch it every time it comes on..
Maybe QUAKER OATS came out with the "5 minute GRITS" to help his defense...(just a joke)
One of my favorite grits recipe adds grits to Camerones Diablo. I think that is kind of what Papa posted about. Later BCB

Oldmann

Blues Newbie
The Mumbles? That is a new reference name for me. We call the local speech patterns "Bubbabonics", and there are a lot of regional variations, LOL.

As for grits, they do fix amazing Shrip and Grits at some of the local restaurants, but I like to fix the long cook grits and put slices of venison sausage in it along with some real butter, and maybe a dash of salt or honey. It's hard to beat for breakfast on a cool morning. Jim

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
For the uninitiated can someone tell me what Grits are, I thought they were found in the bottom of a pet birds cage :)

It's similar to corn meal mush, hasty pudding or polenta. The biggest difference is it is a more coarse texture. It's made from ground and dehyrated hominy. Quaker foods sells it nationally in the U.S., but there are half a dozen regional companies in the southern U.S. that produce it. I usually buy it in two pound bags at the market and keep it for breakfast at my office. Since we have a microwave oven and not stove cooktop, I've gotten used to 5 minute grits. They are also sold as instant grits (just add hot water) and regular grits, which take between 15 and 30 minutes, depending on how you like them cooked. The main difference between the three different cooking times has to do with how finely the hominy is ground, just like the differences in cooking times for oats.